Protein, protein, protein

ironfitken
on 6/5/17 12:01 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

I use the premier protein drinks, both chocolate and clear. The chocolate has 30g of protein and the clear tropical punch has 20g. So drink chocolate 2x/day and 1x/day tropical and that easily gives you 80g of protein/day in addition to whatever else you take in. If its too much chocolate then only do one and two tropical for 70g protein. Good luck!

Donna L.
on 6/5/17 12:51 pm, edited 6/5/17 5:51 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

One protein shake is 20-30g depending on brand.

I eat either 1 protein shake plus 8oz of meat (divided into two meals) or 12oz of meat a day. Either gives me about 90g of protein total.

Very close to surgery, I even had high protein purees. I'd water the puree down with broth quite a bit and kept it in an insulated thermos. It actually....was really good, and I easily hit 70g of protein a day as a result, when I finally was on purees.

Even when I was on liquids, I just made sure that everything I drank had protein in it. Snytrax makes an iced-tea protein, and I'd just sip sip sip 40g of that over the course of the morning. At night, I'd do yogurt or just more sip sip sipping of protein.

It's really not so difficult. Just need to make sure everything you consume is protein-forward. I skipped beans and cream of wheat for this reason, since they take up valuable Harvey (my sleeve) real estate and provide nearly zero protein in return when compared to whey protein or animal protein.

Broth is nice to add to things too, because it helps a lot with the body's electrolyte balance and satiety cues, especially if it is homemade.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

catwoman7
on 6/6/17 8:33 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I've been getting 80+ grams a day since about the third day out of surgery (turns out it was a good thing, since we discovered early on that I malabsorb protein, so I need a lot more than the typical bariatric patient. I may have malabsorbed it even prior to surgery, but we don't know since we never did a baseline). Anyway, early on I did it through two protein shakes a day, plus by adding protein powder to things like soups and yogurt.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

trishwalks
on 6/8/17 6:10 am
VSG on 04/18/17

i get between 60 to 100 grams of protein during the day, depending on my activities after work. (i am 7 weeks post op from the sleeve).

here is one receipe that helped me

plain non fat no sugar added greek yogurt (about 10 grams of protein)

add your favourite protein powder (1 full scoop = approx 23 grams of protein)

mix well, and leave over night - this will turn into more of a pudding consistency with great flavour (depending on what you like)

total protein = 33 grams of protein - almost half of what you require.

combine with protein from food, and other protein drinks - you should be able to hit your amount fairly easy.

AnImperfectAngel
on 6/18/17 4:35 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

I'm almost three weeks out and get between 90 and 120 grams of protein a day.

All I eat so far is premier protein shakes, eggs, cottage cheese and a few peeled apple slices.

I'm looking forward to adding some meat when my body is ready to handle it!

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

Most Active