Research Stage is very confusing

ChooseHealth
on 6/21/17 3:14 pm

I began my research thinking I wanted Lap-band. However, after looking at the very unhappy people on that forum that have switched to the Sleeve, I have decided to research this option more. Can anyone tell me the main pros of Sleeve over Lap? Or Sleeve over Gastric B?

RSP

jenorama
on 6/21/17 3:46 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Your best bet is to read everything you can in the forums. When I was in the run-up to my surgery, I went as far back as I could and read as many posts as I could. Another very helpful resource was the book "WLS for Dummies". In addition to proving that there is literally a "dummies" book for every subject under the sun, it is full of useful information presented in an easily-understandable format. Getting good basic knowledge will help you to zero in on questions that have to do with your specific situation. Do you have GERD? Do you have diabetes? Is pain medication necessary for your daily life? These can all be factors for your choice of surgery.

That being said, the Lap Band has pretty much lost favor. My surgeon says all he does with them is take them out and revise to either sleeve or RNY.

Read up on your resources and don't be afraid to ask questions at your surgical orientation or consult, too! :D

Jen

ChooseHealth
on 6/21/17 4:41 pm

Thank you

Allisonw2lls
on 6/21/17 5:14 pm - CA
VSG on 06/16/17

I might be a little bitter, I had a horrible experience with the band. I went with it originall because I liked he idea of not altering. I lost the band due to many complications, was sleeved around 2 years ago, that turned out to be more of an issue because the revision was not done well because of all the scar tissue. Was just re sleeved last Friday. I feel great. Hind site I would have personally picked the sleeve or other the first time around. Tge band also I believe is tougher to maintain loss after you reach goal, it is definitely a different restriction. I spent a lot of time with food getting stuck, throwing up... then when it was gone poof... I pooped up again. Just my 2 cents, it's definitely a personal choice but my advice is to try and make a good solid descision up front not just from fear. Avoid any revisions and do what's right for you the first time. Don't let fear rule your choice, check them all out.

jenorama
on 6/21/17 5:58 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Of course! Making a decision like this is scary for sure. Like a lot of people, I went to an orientation and a consult and then chickened out and wasted five years. I found reading on here and the WLS for Dummies book actually reassuring. Looking forward to seeing you get started on your journey!

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/17 11:13 pm

Gastric banned and lapband are the same but i started of the same as you, but i am glad i have opted for the banded, i do not have time to be going in for reffiil and band adjustments and i just wanted it done. also my dr said as im quite young the life time of the banned is not that great, it may need re doing in how ever many years, thats the cost of nother surgery. i prefer to do it once and be done with it . also i like the idea of the hunger hormone being removed but its not removed with banned. speak to a surgeon about it , they will tell u what they think would suit you better.

theAntiChick
on 6/22/17 7:58 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

It is my opinion (and that of my surgeon) that no reputable surgeon at this point should be doing the lapband. For the few that have had longterm success with it, there are numerous others for whom it didn't work, or caused really painful and sometimes life-threatening complications. My surgeon says the only thing she does with them anymore is take them out, and often the erosion makes revision to any other surgery many times harder and many times more dangerous.

The 3 surgeries that IMNSHO should be considered are: VSG (Vertical Gastric Sleeve), RNY (Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass), and DS (Duodenal Switch). There are times when a patient's medical history points very clearly to one over the other. My autoimmune and the need to be able to take NSAIDs and steroids steered my team toward VSG. A past history of reflux often indicates that a RNY or DS is a better option. There is evidence that diabetics have better results with RNY or DS. Patients with very high BMIs are sometimes steered toward a DS. (There are probably other reasons for a DS... I'm not very familiar with it, but several people on this board have had excellent results with it and can better speak to it.)

Many people consider the DS to have more malabsorption than they're willing to consider, so it usually comes down to the VSG or RNY. If you don't have a medical history pointing one way or another, either surgery is a good one. Some consider the RNY the "gold standard" because it has a longer history. Some prefer the RNY because the "dumping" many RNY patients have is an additional deterrant from eating what you shouldn't. Some think (mistakenly) that the VSG is "less invasive", when in reality the surgery is just as invasive as the RNY. The misconception about invasiveness is likely due to the VSG not changing the digestive path where the RNY does.

Bottom line, your surgeon may say one surgery is very clearly indicated over the others. If the surgeon leaves it up to you, then medically speaking it's a coin toss. Read stories here, and talk to people about what life looks like years down the road with each, and choose. In the end, it's more about what you do with the new tool than which tool you chose.

But I would run from anyone advocating the lapband at this point. People who are too concerned with something being "temporary" should maybe look at the gastric balloon, but honestly, if it's temporary what's to help you maintain the weight loss? Most of us are here not because we can't lose weight (many of us are REALLY GOOD at losing weight) but that we haven't historically been able to keep it off. The way to interrupt that cycle is with a permanent solution but also the lifestyle changes that are absolutely required in order to keep it working.

Good luck!!

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

ChooseHealth
on 6/22/17 9:09 am

Thank you for your thoroughness.

RSP

ambec0308
on 6/22/17 7:59 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/17

I have not been happy with my band since about 6 months out. That is 7 years of unhappiness. I get sleeved on 6/28/17. I wanted RNY in 2010 when I started my journey and the clinic would no longer do them and pushed everyone into the band. I should have listened to my heart then and said no I will go somewhere else to get the surgery I want. I didn't but who knows maybe that was a blessing in disguise for me because I feel that the sleeve is the best surgery for me.~~Amy

Lap band 5/2010 lost 37 lbs regain 22.

5/19/17 Surgery consult 201.6 lbs

6/15/17 approved by insurance(started liquid diet) 194.7lbs

6/28/17 Surgery weight 184.4

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/17 4:07 am
VSG on 12/28/16

My doctor also doesn't do lap band anymore but only removals or conversions. I just saw a friend who had lap band in '09. She is now having to get hers removed. And has gained a lot of weight back. 1/3 of the people in my support group are getting band revisions. I would not go to a doctor who still does band procedures. Go with RNY or sleeve unless you have medical issues that indicate the DS is better for you. If you want to know more about the sleeve watch the #AskDrA series on You Tube with Dr. Alvarez. They are short but every possible question is probably answered.

Most Active