LOW CARB PRE OP diet NOT LIQUID

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/17 9:25 pm

So this is my Pre op diet below, I do not mean to sound ungreatful, as I know people are wishing they were on a solid pre op if they are struggling with liquids, but I am not good with moderation, so wish I could just drink shakes because then there would be nothing to think about, I really did not want to be doing all this measuring lol, is there anyone else on this pre op diet, and how are they finding it.

Menu suggestions:

Breakfast

3 tablespoons of low sugar cereal

(e.g. porridge, bran flakes, rice krispies)

or

1 slice of toast with a scraping of low fat

spread

Lunch

1 slice bread with a scraping of low fat

spread with:

Small portion (2oz) lean meat or fish, or

Small portion (2oz) cheese, or

2 eggs (not fried)

Salad as desired

Dinner

Small portion (2oz) lean meat or fish, Tofu or

Quorn based dish or

Small portion (2oz) cheese, 2 eggs, or

3 tablespoons of baked beans, lentils etc.

(cooked)

1 small potato or 2 tablespoons pasta or rice

(cooked)

Vegetables as desired

Daily

1/3 pint semi skimmed milk for use in drinks

and on cereal

Fruits as desired (e.g. apple, orange,

banana, pear)

Water, tea, coffee, low calorie squash or

fizzy drinks

1 low fat, low sugar yogurt or fromage frais

2 teaspoons of low calorie mayonnaise or

dressing, mustard, ketchup etc.

2 tablespoons white sauce or gravy etc.

Additional notes

I slice of bread can be interchanged with 2

crisp breads, 1 small pitta bread, 3 crackers

or 1 small chapatti

Avoid

Biscuits, cakes, puddings, chocolate, sweets,

nuts, alcohol

Fredbear
on 6/21/17 9:45 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

That's... complicated.

My pre-op instructions for food were:

• 2 days prior - normal breakfast and lunch, light dinner
  • 1 day prior - light breakfast, clear liquids the remainder of the day, stop drinking at 9 p.m.
  • Day of - NPO, unless your surgeon specifically indicated to take any of your medications, if so just a sip of water to take them

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/17 11:08 pm

That seems really good, can I ask what your BMI was, he has even said he doesnt need me to lose any weight , just not gain, lol how would i not lose weight following this :P

I was meant to start it on Tuesday but the info did not come through till Yesturday night, so today will be my first day.

How did you eat the 2 weeks prior?

He even said he won't be weighing me again.. so aslong as i look about the same weight im fine lol

I actually do not know about the 2 days prior lol need to weight for other stuff to come!

Fredbear
on 6/22/17 7:21 am
VSG on 11/29/16

My pre-program BMI was about 43, and I lost 17# prior to surgery.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Cathy H.
on 6/22/17 1:53 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Just look at this as an opportunity to get used to all the weighing and measuring you are going to have to do post-op. It will be become your new normal, because weighing, measuring, and tracking every morsel you put in your mouth is absolutely necessary after surgery.

Now you're just getting a head start! Best of luck.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

CC C.
on 6/22/17 6:24 am

I'll echo Cathy. Get used to the measuring!! It'll be a huge part of your life post surgery if you want to be successful.

theAntiChick
on 6/22/17 7:45 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My surgeon didn't require a liquid pre-op diet either. She basically said replace 2 meals a day with protein shakes and have a "sensible" dinner. Fruit, protein, or veggie snacks between meals were also OK. So it was basically SlimFast with better protein shakes. I was grateful I didn't have to try and do just liquid, but I actually found that to be harder than any of the diet restrictions after surgery. LOL.

Just remember it's for a very short time, and then you'll be on the losers' bench! :D

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Steph Meat Hag
on 6/22/17 9:03 am, edited 6/22/17 2:04 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

A big issue I have with this is that it's pretty carb heavy through the day and yet at the bottom in hilarious contradiction it states to not eat biscuits, cakes, or sweets.... but you should eat cereal and toast... Regardless of my objections though your doctor is trying to get at something so if you have questions about the why you should call up there and talk to them about it.

I believe this is more to get you used to measuring, portion control, and visualizing what 2oz looks like. All of these you will absolutely have to do after your WLS.

Liquid diets are normally prescribed to help things shrink up including your liver. This makes the surgery easier to preform because your insides are easier to move and work around. The liquid itself isn't so much the important part but that the liquid is easy to digest fully, it's low in calories so you may loose weight, and it's low in fat so your liver is under less stress and may shrink.

Your diet here is still low in calorie and low in fat, and there's nothing that is really hard to digest so it's going to get you going in the same direction. Either way your going to be hungry, grumpy, and not all that happy about either diet because both are not full of caffeine, and your comfort foods.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Gwen M.
on 6/22/17 9:26 am
VSG on 03/13/14

For a low carb diet, this seems surprisingly... not low carb.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MissNexxie
on 6/22/17 9:45 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Agreed with other posters - that pre-op diet is not very low carb. In fact, I don't see much protein at all.

Low carb is usually protein (beef, chicken, fish, pork, jerky- most unbreaded meats, eggs, cheese, greek yogurt), leafy greens and maybe some berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries).

There are an awful lot of grains and sugars in that diet and if you have any issues with carb cravings it might be really challenging.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Most Active