genuine pressure cooker in my esophagus

Joojy
on 6/23/17 12:34 pm
VSG on 06/14/17

the x-rays prove it.

ok, so not really. but it sure feels that way. looking for feedback on this from fellow sleevers:

i am day 9 post-op (whoop whoop...12 pounds down since surgery) and feeling pretty great, actually. the ONLY thing that is bothersome is some gas pain/inability to burp right after a meal. i am doing everything by the book (chewing, portion, etc) but i get this uncomfortable sensation of pressure in my esophagus, like i need to burp, but when i try, it's pretty non-productive. it's like a rolling pressure that starts in the stomach and rises to the top of my throat. no acid. just a really uncomfortable liquid-y burp sensation.

i will add that i had a very small hiatal hernia repair at the same time as VSG, so it could just be healing from that. i did NOT suffer from major reflux issues before surgery, so am really hoping i'm not one of those sleevers who develop GERD. have mercy!

i am taking a 14-day course of prilosec for prevention and also take a simethicone (gas x) chewie when it strikes, but doesn't bring too much relief.

help!

Gwen M.
on 6/23/17 12:51 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I guess I should ask the obvious question first - what does your surgeon say?

For me, my gas pain was resolved by walking.

What you're describing sounds to me like what some people describe they feel when they eat too much/too fast. (Guidelines aren't always perfect for everyone so even if your guide says, for example, you can ingest 4 oz, or whatever, you might only be able to do 2 comfortably.)

I'm just tossing ideas out there. The number one thing is - what does your surgeon say?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

adistacke
on 6/23/17 2:08 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

I would agree with Gwen...think you are full and it is a new sensation for you. My dietician said people have a lot of different signs that indicate you are getting full so eat slow to figure out what mine is. I have learned i feel a little tightness in my chest and then start burping a lot....when that starts, i quit eating. It also might be the food backing up because it hasn't gone through your pylorus yet (emptying into the intestines) so while it is sitting in your stomach, some moves back up your esophagus. I would share with your surgeon to be safe.

congrats on the weight loss!

Joojy
on 6/23/17 2:28 pm
VSG on 06/14/17

thanks for the reply. i do feel i am eating slow - it will take me 30 mins to eat 2-3 oz of food. i contacted my nut today (my surgeon is out of town but i have an appt with him on the 6th) but have not heard back yet. will up the walking and see if that helps.

little_a
on 6/23/17 3:49 pm
VSG on 06/13/17

You can eat food already?! Ugh I am so jealous. I am 10 days post and on liquids still until Tuesday and then it's just pureed. Hope this clears up for you. Best of luck.

A

22 year old college girl. VSG weight - 255 HW - 282 GW - Healthy.

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/17 4:05 pm

Like "A" I was on full liquids for 14 days after surgery ... I had no clue what chewing was like until week 3 when I graduated to a "soft diet." Obviously programs are different. I too hope you feel better and get some resolve.

Joojy
on 6/23/17 4:26 pm
VSG on 06/14/17

my program is liquids for a week, then soft foods weeks 2-4, then slowly add food back in at week 5. however, with these gas/burp pressure pains, i might need to take a step back and take it a bit easier. unjury protein chicken soup for dinner, it is.

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/17 4:33 pm

Programs do vary and, yes, good idea to take it slowly. Thank God for unjury chicken soup!! It is a life saver. Feel better, Joojy!!

missc_26
on 6/23/17 4:52 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Based on this I would say maybe try going back to your liquid/puree stage and giving yourself some more time before moving thru the stages. I know personally there was no way I could try anything other than this until week 3 & even then I struggled with 1 soft scrambled egg.

I know how awful reflux was after surgery ( I never had it before surgery) and a big part of getting on top of this was keeping a note of each food as I introduced them back into my diet. Tomato was the first thing I learned to go :(

I also strongly agree with everyone else - check in with your surgeon.

Best of luck!

Joojy
on 6/24/17 10:19 am
VSG on 06/14/17

a - might not be such a bad thing. i am having to scale back some of the food because it's just not going down that easily. better to take your time and progress slowly. hang in there!

Most Active