lessons from the weekend

Joojy
on 6/25/17 2:27 pm
VSG on 06/14/17

well, folks, if there is one thing i have learned over the past few days, it's that this sleeve business is really just a roller coaster in disguise. today has been good. yesterday, not so much. tomorrow - anyone's guess. but i have learned a few lessons, which is always valuable.

1. a spoonful of peanut butter to get a calorie and protein boost was not a good idea. in fact, it was a terrible idea. i'll attribute this to surgery brain. while i typically enjoy peanut butter, burping it back up for the next hour and half isn't so great. note to self: don't do that.

2. fish agrees with me. thank god. i love fish and would have been genuinely sad if i couldn't enjoy it.

3. still having the burpy-pressure-esophagus thing. i have been really cautious about what i am eating, how fast, portion, etc...and it still plagues me. as a matter of fact, i am trying to get down a protein shake right now and within 3 sips...you guessed it. boom. pressure. i am at a bit of loss on this. i am not hitting my daily protein or fluid goal because if i get that pressure feeling, it's game over. i can get it from water. i can get it from protein shake. i can get it from random soft foods. calling my surgeon first thing in the morning about this. i am not screwing around with fluids or protein and must get these down. i am barely surpassing 300 calories and feel this needs to a bit more.

4. some days, this is psychological warfare. i had a total meltdown over dinner last night because i find myself terrified of the next bite and not enjoying my food. it feels like a science experiment. is it going to be the one that puts me over the edge? will it make me terribly uncomfortable for the rest of the night? i don't know what my "full" signal is yet. i can't rely on the "burp" signal because i can burp after one or two sips of water - and i KNOW i am not full on two sips of water. i have learned that the hiccups are my "danger will robinson, you're going to pay" signal, but that's an after-the-fact alarm, not something that happens before. so i live in fear, at every meal, of not knowing when enough is enough. it's a massive learning curve and each new days brings a new experience.

5. there is emotional work to be done. i feel like i am mourning the loss of a relationship with food. i believe good food (note: i ain't talking mcdonald's - i mean, good, healthy, flavorful food, with some indulgences here and there) is part of good living. no, i'm not a "foodie", but i enjoy the experience of food. my husband and i like trying new things. thai, mexican, vietnamese, indian - bring it on. it's a comfort, it's a celebration; it's a ready companion. it's going to take some brain power and some soul searching to navigate a new relationship that doesn't default to "let's go out for dinner" if i've had a sh*t day.

6. at the end of the day, i chose the sleeve because i believe in balance. the thought of never being able to enjoy a small slice of pumpkin pie on thanksgiving or a small indulgence on my birthday doesn't jive with me. the moment i feel "deprived", watch out. i like the notion of eating a healthy, vibrant, flavorful diet and allowing some quality treats here and there. it feels sustainable.

hope you fellow sleevers have had a successful weekend. (i am down 15.5 lbs in 11 days. blows my mind.)

Gwen M.
on 6/25/17 4:35 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It sounds like you're having a rough go with recovery and I'm sorry for that. I hope that you get answers from your surgeon soon and it is probably also very wise for you to work on finding a therapist to work with if you don't have one already.

Hang in there. It'll get better.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Joojy
on 6/25/17 4:52 pm
VSG on 06/14/17

thanks for the note, gwen. interestingly enough, and despite these burpy-pressure hurdles, i feel like i've had a fairly smooth recovery thus far. i have good energy, minimal soreness. it's been better than i thought it would be. i have three weeks off but within the first seven days felt like i could be out and about.

just have to find some answers and tactics to deal with this pressure. i know it will get better. just have to hang in there and not lose sight of the endgame.

little_a
on 6/25/17 7:09 pm
VSG on 06/13/17

Sounds like you have a good handle on what needs to be done. I am 12 days out and only down 12 lbs. I seem to have hit a stall :/

Best of luck

A

22 year old college girl. VSG weight - 255 HW - 282 GW - Healthy.

Joojy
on 6/25/17 7:46 pm
VSG on 06/14/17

a pound a day is GREAT. keep on truckin'.

AD_Jordan
on 6/25/17 7:14 pm

There's a lot of mental work that goes along with the sleeve, and you've done a really good job of describing those challenges.

I really understand #3. I'm still taking PPI's. I try to prevent "overfill" by measuring. When I told the NUT I could eat 3 tsp. of puréed food and then I was full, she thought I meant TB. Had to confirm to her I'd measured properly. (She's big on "data".)

I hope things settle down and run smoothly for you soon!

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/26/17 4:40 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

You are only 12 days in and there is a lot of healing going on. Things will probably change. I was only consuming 350-400 calories at your point and everything was puréed.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

adistacke
on 6/26/17 9:26 am
VSG on 05/16/17

Hope you figure out what is going on with your surgeon...keep us posted. Still sounds like you are doing great with the weight loss!

I can really relate to i had a bad day so let's go have a nice dinner. I'm starting post op week 7 tomorrow and last week i had a really bad day and was tied up so didn't get to eat/drink for several hours. It was the first time i thought all i want to do is go home and order thai food. I told my friend who said "your coping mechanism is gone" and i thought...oh wow you are so right! My next coping mechanism is a glass of wine and that is out too (for a while at least)! I came home and took the dog for a walk and saw some friends at the part...it was good substitute for panang shrimp and crab rangoon!

Most Active