Bruising

JenniferAshley
on 6/26/17 1:52 pm
VSG on 06/19/17

Hi everyone! I am exactly one week out now and full of questions! I am feeling a lot better, though I am still feeling pain in my main incision (right side). It hurts to cough, sneeze, and laugh. I'm struggling with bending and getting comfortable. I believe these things are normal...

From the beginning, I had a lot of bruising. The doc told me to keep my eye on it, but felt that it was all ok. The bruise faded in some spots and became darker in others over the course of the last week. I have a dark purple bruise about an inch below my main incision (the large one). It does not seem to be letting up. I have a little firmness above my incision, but not enough to think it is an infection (though I am extremely paranoid about everything from blood clots to leaks).

I've contacted the doc's office a million times and they keep reassuring me that leaks are rare and to look for a firmness about the size of a pingpong ball. No comments on bruising. I don't feel any firmness on the bruise and it is not even really tender to touch. Just looks nasty. I am feeling pain on the inside in that area though, but that's normal, right? Due to them pulling my stomach from this area?

Thought on the bruising/appearance of my largest incision? Should I be concerned?

Gwen M.
on 6/26/17 2:01 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

As you've already contacted the doctor and been assured that you're fine, I'm inclined to agree :)

My biggest incision was the one where they actually pulled the stomach out and it was the one that took the longest to go back to normal. Plus... when I bruise, I bruise forever :P Are you on a blood thinner like Lovenox? (I was post-op for 2 weeks I believe) That would also make the bruising last longer. It'll likely go from purple to disgustingly yellow/green over the next few days, and then fade away to memory.

If it turns hot, red, or oozing, or you start running a fever, I'd worry, call my doctor, and head to the doctor or to urgent care. Otherwise, this seems like one example in the range of normal.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

JenniferAshley
on 6/26/17 2:53 pm
VSG on 06/19/17

I'm actually not on a blood thinner...which I why I worry about blood clots. I'll be glad when the healing is complete! The only meds I'm taking are Lisinopril-H (for blood pressure) and Prilosec.

hollykim
on 6/26/17 2:37 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 26, 2017 at 8:52 PM Pacific Time, JenniferAshley wrote:

Hi everyone! I am exactly one week out now and full of questions! I am feeling a lot better, though I am still feeling pain in my main incision (right side). It hurts to cough, sneeze, and laugh. I'm struggling with bending and getting comfortable. I believe these things are normal...

From the beginning, I had a lot of bruising. The doc told me to keep my eye on it, but felt that it was all ok. The bruise faded in some spots and became darker in others over the course of the last week. I have a dark purple bruise about an inch below my main incision (the large one). It does not seem to be letting up. I have a little firmness above my incision, but not enough to think it is an infection (though I am extremely paranoid about everything from blood clots to leaks).

I've contacted the doc's office a million times and they keep reassuring me that leaks are rare and to look for a firmness about the size of a pingpong ball. No comments on bruising. I don't feel any firmness on the bruise and it is not even really tender to touch. Just looks nasty. I am feeling pain on the inside in that area though, but that's normal, right? Due to them pulling my stomach from this area?

Thought on the bruising/appearance of my largest incision? Should I be concerned?

leaks don't happen on the outside of the dodgy and a bruise has nothing to do with a leak. Leaks affect the inside of the body.

unless the bruise becomes warm/ hot to the touch, red streaks start coming from around it, or your incision opens up, you are likely fine. As your surgeon has said.

Mirandia
on 6/29/17 4:06 am
VSG on 03/14/17

If you were leaking blood under the skin for a week I would think that it would look allot worse than this. It might be some glorious colors but it still looks like you are healing up. As for your incision it looks exactly like my big one did and it healed up fine.

esmith3687
on 10/23/17 5:21 pm
VSG on 10/15/17

I actually don't have any bruising on my stomach, but on each side of my lower neck above my collar bone, i have bruising. Has anyone else had this? It's freaking me out a little

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views