Cereal?

Grim_Traveller
on 7/7/17 3:16 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I have challenged people to put a measured serving of cereal and milk in a bowl, and compare it to what they always serve themselves. It's tiny. No one ever ate that small a serving of cereal. Ever.

The cereal and orange juice people did a brilliant job of convincing Americans that their junk is both healthy and necessary.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/17 5:28 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I can't believe how much orange juice I used to drink. I didn't ever buy it often but when I did it was drank in a day or two. Yikes! I also never ate a real serving of cereal like most I would fill up a bowl. Cereal was never a food I liked that well pre surgery so an actual serving size works okay for me. I have no temptatation to overfill. I only drink fairlife skim milk anymore so I use a half serving of it on it.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/7/17 7:05 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Just making sure -- you do know if you filled up a bowl you were likely eating several servings. A serving is 1/2 a cup. I've never actually seen someone, not even my inarguably thin husband, eat only 1/2 a cup.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/17 8:01 am, edited 7/7/17 1:02 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I don't fill up a bowl. I didn't before wls but I measure out a serving and put it in a bowl now. I don't dump in a random amount. I never guess at any of my meals they are all weighed amd measured.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/7/17 8:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Whenever someone mentions cereal, I always think of Jethro, on the Beverly Hillbillies. Remember when he ate cereal? It was a joke at the time, but it became reality.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Amy R.
on 7/15/17 3:20 pm

What Kat said.

And here's a little bonus info. I just checked my husbands granola. A serving of that is 1/4 cup. 1/4 cup! Why even bother?

I'm pretty sure that when I ate cereal, 1/4 cup was about three bites.

Jester
on 7/13/17 9:57 am
RNY on 03/21/16

Truer words have never been spoken!

I am convinced my obese wife would be underweight if she just gave up cereal (I'm only half joking). Be actually have a couple of EXTRA LARGE bowls in our cupboards which are for the explicit purpose of eating cereal, because apparently the regular bowls that hold about 4 of the recommended servings (or mroe) just aren't big enough. My wife eats breakfast out of these bowls almost every day (when she isn't substituting pop tarts). I would estimate they hold at least 4 cups of cereal, maybe even 6 cups. It's insane. This is also her go-to "meal in a pinch". Anytime she needs to grab something quick, it's cereal. Overall, she is a fairly healthy eater, but this cereal thing gives her untold amounts of excess (virtually useless) calories.

And yes again on the juice thing. I get crazy stares anytime I mention I don't drink juice. People are almost universally convinced that these sugar bombs are great for you. I feel especially bad for my daughter in this area. My 12yo daughter has a propensity to eat healthy (almost always goes for the fruit or veggie as a snack), but she has a serious sugar addiction. This addiction manifests itself in primarily two forms - juice and ice cream. The amount of heat she takes from her friends when she declines juice for health reasons is insane. They all jump on her, tell her juice is great for her, and she doesn't know what she's talking about. It's been the topic of many conversations in our household.

Erin T.
on 7/7/17 6:26 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I feel like the foods we love the most and are scared of losing are the ones we need to say goodbye to forever.

For me that's peanut butter. It sounds super scary prior to surgery, but post surgery it's not so bad. The few bites off-plan food I've had in 6 months really haven't felt worth the calories anyway.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/17 8:06 am, edited 7/7/17 1:06 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I used to love peanut butter sandwhiches. Now I won't eat bread and peanut butter is too thick that I hate eating it. Sometimes I wish I could just bite into one and enjoy it! It's better this way though last try of peanut butter didn't taste nearly as good as I hoped. Peanut butter is definitely on the no way ever list.

Valerie G.
on 7/7/17 7:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Don't even go there until you're at goal. It's a nibble food that adds up before you're conscious of it. Instead, try some healthy nibblers like cheese crisps that contain protein or dehydrated pea pod crisps. Shoot, I know it's horrible for my teeth, but I nibble ice while concentrating because it's calorie free altogether and adds hydration...teeth be damned.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active