Cereal?

Amy R.
on 7/15/17 3:25 pm
On July 15, 2017 at 6:41 PM Pacific Time, missy161 wrote:

I'm realizing what my triggers are. Cereal may we'll be one. I discovered 2 of them this eeek. Pizza and pastries. Just a nibble turned into a piece of pizza. And just a bite of apple from an apple pie turned into 2 ounces of nutrition free food. Not that mybcalories went over for the day but it was just junk that did not bring me closer to my goals and made me feel like crap physically and emotionally. So, yup there are going to be things I miss but I just have to stay away from them if I want to get to my goal!

I find myself more than vaguely curious at this point about the wisdom of your surgeon's post op eating plan.

Either you're following a crappy and potentially harmful eating plan or you are ignoring your surgeon's post op eating progression.

Which is it?

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/17 8:33 am

I have a good plan.

He said that starting week 3 I could add new foods . Pizza was not one of them I admit, but I did try it. Lesson learned. I am sure most of us on here aren't perfect so we try and fail multiple times. The apples were cooked and it was a no sugar added pie so I don't think tat was too bad, though I did learn it made me ill, so I think it was a good lesson. As we go through this journey we have to learn on our own, just like most people.

I have been mainly sticking to the diet plan and am still losing. I think learning lessons is just part of the journey.

Amy R.
on 7/16/17 12:14 pm

I agree to some extent - I've tried and failed multiple times myself of course. Until I finally got tired of having to re-lose bounce back weight and regain. You are correct as well about learning on our own; one of those ways to learn is by listening and considering input from those who are farther out. (And yes, we know farther out doesn't necessarily mean better). People who stick around to pay it forward are a wealth of information and helps if you allow them to be.

And lessons can be a lot less painful if early out post-ops take the time to consider input from those that have gone before. I'm 8+ years out and pizza with apple pie (even sugar free) is not a part of my eating plan. Meaning I don't eat it. I was fortunate enough to be taught that just because we can eat something doesn't mean we should .

Most of us here for the duration really want everyone to succeed. We comment on posts like this because it isn't optimal eating behavior, especially early out. The member asking the questions and/or making the comments may not like or accept our input. But there are lurkers out there and perhaps at least THEY might pay attention and be spared some of the more difficult parts of post op life (like re-gain).

Learning lessons is definitely part of the journey - as long as what you're learning doesn't kill you. Adding in foods too early can actually hurt a still healing tummy. It doesn't happen often, thank God, but we've seen people get very sick and sometimes worse because they chose to ignore helps from others who had been there and done that.

I hope you get the results you are looking for.

Oh, and by the way - EVERYBODY is still losing at three weeks out. The first year or so you'd have to put up quite a fight to gain weight. You can continue eating crap and you'll lose. You can eat more than recommended and you'll lose. People do/eat all kinds of nonsense and think that as long as they are still losing, they must be doing something right. Except they're not.

Sorry to be so wordy. I've seen a couple of your posts and I'm just concerned. You're an adult and can obviously ignore all of this. But at least I won't regret not responding if and/or when you run into some completely preventable trouble. Take Care.

Erin T.
on 7/16/17 4:17 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

"Mainly sticking to your diet plan" at 3 weeks post op means you're going to be "failing hard" by 6 months post op (if not before). Stick to it like glue. GLUE.

Tomorrow I'm 6 months post op. I've had no french fries, no pizza, no chocolate, no chips, no cereal, no starchy veggies, no grains, no candy. NOTHING. It can be done and it sets you up for success. This isn't me bragging, it's me saying you have to do it like that to really, truly knock it out of the park. We go through so much to get to surgery, don't screw it up so soon!

One of the vets said something like "You will never have more willpower than you do now" to someone early out once and it has stuck with me.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Gwen M.
on 7/16/17 4:50 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You're losing right now because you're newly post-op. If you keep "mainly sticking to the diet plan" and "learning lessons," the weight loss will not continue.

Before you put anything into your mouth ask yourself, "will this help me to reach my goal?" If the answer is no, don't put it in your mouth.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kelfury
on 7/11/17 7:15 pm, edited 7/11/17 12:15 pm - PA

I can't eat it at all. I have reactive hypoglycemia and the carbs literally screw up my blood sugar all day so I avoid it. I'm not missing anything, really it isn't nutritious. I stick with Greek yogurt, cottage cheese. I have always had issues with carbs and here it is 8 years out and I have to really control what I eat. They meant it when they said it's a lifelong change :)

AggieMae
on 7/12/17 11:57 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Now that I weigh almost 100 pounds less I don't need to have so much protein so I do ****asional) have oatmeal or a slice of toast or popcorn and even an occasional ****tail... I always measure or weigh.e

Despite this flagrant disregard to the "rules", my weight loss continues to be steady, slower that some, but usually 1-2 pounds a week.

There are no "BAD" foods.

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/17 12:17 am

I so agree with you! I believe moderation is the key usually.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/15/17 6:34 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Hmmm. Moderation got me to super morbidly obese.

Usually those of us who end up needing surgery to lose weight, aren't so good at moderation.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Erin T.
on 7/16/17 4:23 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

Especially at 3 weeks post op

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views