Travel

still2cute
on 7/25/17 11:16 am - Antioch, TN

Hi. I was wondering how soon is advisable to travel after sleeve surgery. I have a couple of trips planned and trying to decide when to schedule my surgery.

Janalyn W.
on 7/25/17 11:31 am
VSG on 06/16/17

Hi Still2cute, I was advised by my physician that it was best not to drive for 7 days and flying for 30.

Jan

still2cute
on 7/26/17 3:54 am - Antioch, TN

Wow, 30 days is a long time.

adistacke
on 7/25/17 1:39 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

I did a 5 hour road trip from Chicago to Ohio about 1 week out...my mom was with me though. I actually felt fine to drive and wore my abdominal binder and took tylenol. Are you going for business or pleasure? I was only travelling to my parents house where I relaxed and walked. i don't think i would want to take a trip for fun while on full liquids...

still2cute
on 7/26/17 3:55 am - Antioch, TN

I have 3 trips planned, all for pleasure. I wasn't expecting my surgeon's schedule to be booked so far out.

ShirlAus
on 7/25/17 1:43 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Hi

I wasnt cleared to fly for 30 days post surgery but I have a history of DVT and PE so higher risk.

Perhaps call your surgeons office and ask for clarification

Im one month out today and Im flying next weekend to the top end of Australia. Have had to wait the 30 days

:)

Shirley

MissNexxie
on 7/25/17 3:01 pm
VSG on 04/30/14
Some people travel to get the sleeve so it's debatable. You will have a 8-10 lb lifting restriction for 6 weeks post-op (think luggage, carry-on, lifting kids, etc). This is critical to pay attention to as you can do real damage to your healing stomach with lifting. Also, walking to prevent blood clots is very important especially in the first 2-3 weeks. If driving, you'd need to stop every hour and walk around for 10 mins. If on a plane, same rule applies but also you will need help with luggage. If planning post sleeve food is a question/concern then wait until 6 wks post-op when you're cleared for all foods and have a better idea of what you can tolerate. This is a big surgery and I suggest healing fully before planning any trips. It is still major surgery even if done laparoscopically.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

still2cute
on 7/26/17 4:00 am - Antioch, TN

Thanks. I think I'll try to schedule after the trips or cancel one.

Ugh7699
on 7/27/17 7:13 am

I am a month out and I am leaving on Sunday for a 5 day trip to Disney World. I had check with my surgeon prior to scheduling my surgery and he said I am fine to travel. I am seeing a lot of differing opinions though among program and surgeons. I am not worried as much about the plane ride (short three hours) as I am eating while at Disney World :)

still2cute
on 7/27/17 3:46 pm - Antioch, TN

Thanks. I hope you have fun and good luck with eating.

Most Active