Slow weight loss... Advice

Doriam R.
on 8/19/17 6:56 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Hi Everyone,

I had surgery 7/12 (1 month and 1 week out ) I started in 188 and now I am 164... Do you think I am lossing at a good pace?

I feel that is so slow because most of it I lost in the first week (with de clear liquids)...

I am going to the gym 5 times a week for an hour of walking at a 2.5 mph and 12 incline

I am logging my food I am around 800 calories a day and 70 grams of protein like my doctor and my nutritionist told me

I am eating soft foods (A lot of bean soup, because I like it) also Premier shakes to get to the protein goal.

I am feeling very weak, today I did not go to the gym because I felt very very weak. I am still not taking my vitamins because of the allegic reaction I got, but my pan is to start tomorrow with one at a time and see if it helps my level of energy...I woder if I sould go to my PCP and have them check my blood.

Advice on losing faster... My goal is to get to 145... but 140 would be even better...

ps. I am hungry all the time... and still think about food all the time ...

Donna L.
on 8/19/17 7:00 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Under 200 pounds that's quick weight loss... I mean that's 22 pounds in six weeks, which is actually rather fast. I'd expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week at most going out. Under 200, the weight loss is slower than if you were 300 or 400 to start, usually.

Exercise is great for overall health, particularly the brain and the cardio-vascular system. 95% of fat loss, though, is diet.

Keep carbs lower (your body naturally burns fat vs. glucose for energy when carbs are lower) and protein high without overeating and you will keep losing.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

CC C.
on 8/20/17 9:22 am

I looked back at my daily weights and I had lost exactly 22 pounds by week 5, so exactly the same! I had a stall for 9 days starting at about 2.5 weeks. I think you're doing just great.

Doriam R.
on 8/20/17 11:49 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

I wish I was taller!!! I am only 5'4" ....

Mirandia
on 8/20/17 2:25 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

Instead of thinking in terms of pounds you should think percentage of extra weight. I don't know how tall you are so I don't know what your "normal" weight should be (according to the charts) But let's say that 140 is your "normal" since you started at 188 you need to lose 48 pounds. You have already lost 24 pounds ... that's 50%! Compare that to someone who started at 250 ... they need to lose 110 pounds to get to that "normal" a 24 pound loss is only 22% of the way there. (btw, that's STILL a good weight loss)

Personally, I'm 5 months out and haven't hit the halfway point yet. But honestly I'm not trying to be "normal" weight according to the charts ... I think I would prefer 180 or so and I'm right on track for that.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Doriam R.
on 8/20/17 5:04 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

That is a good way to look at it!! Thank you... I just know is going to slow down and I am worry about it... but I will cross that bridge when I get there ....

Valerie G.
on 8/22/17 8:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Are you getting enough to drink? Dehydration causes fatigue, and with the exercise you're doing, you may need even more than the 64oz minimum.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

NateH
on 8/22/17 8:23 am
VSG on 09/26/14

I totally agree with this! 64 wasn't enough for me. My minimum (and we're all different) is 80 oz, but I regularly get 120+. I sleep better, I don't snack (as much) and my skin is amazing. ;)

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Most Active