Never say never

Shannon S.
on 8/20/17 4:12 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Hello all!!!!

Had the lap band 10 years ago. Had an awful experience, swore I'd never have WLS, but here I am. I don't have a date yet, but Kaiser has approved me for the Sleeve!!! I'm pretty scared. Keep telling my hubby I'm backing out, but I continue through the motions.

Tell me how you feel about your surgery. How was recovery? Anyone have Dr Cantor?

Thank you,

Wyldblu
on 8/20/17 4:57 pm

I too, had lap band, and had to have it removed because of complications. I was very leery about doing the sleeve because it seemed so drastic. However, I realized that after all my weight loss from the band came back, I was miserable and every time I tried to lose it on my own, it was a failure. I felt like I WAS the failure. I had very intense reflux. Walking out the front door of my house to my car, put me out of breath, and I was avoiding any stairs like the plague.

After finally giving in and having the sleeve, I couldn't feel better. My recovery took a bit. I was off work about 3 weeks. I felt nauseous at first, but never regretted it. Now, almost 100 lbs lighter, with more energy, and going from a size 20+ to a size 4-6, my depression is gone, my reflux is gone, and I like going to the gym. I STILL have a bit of heartburn, and take Tums almost daily, but that generally takes care of it quickly, and it doesn't usually come back after that.

For me, it was MUCH easier than the lap band. I've never had food get caught anywhere (because the restriction isn't from a "belt"), and I've never had trouble with any particular foods, which was an issue for me with lap band. Hope this helps you. Feel free to PM me if you have any personal questions about this you'd like to ask.

Wyldblu

Shannon S.
on 8/20/17 5:33 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Wow, very insightful. I'm so glad you have had a good experience. Gives me hope. Thank you for your response.

carolw1229
on 8/23/17 1:00 pm
VSG on 10/18/17

Hi,

ive also had a lapband for 8 years with no success. I'm waiting for insurance approval for a vertical sleeve revision by the same surgeon. This forum has been very helpful. I'm hoping for better results and no more food getting stuck! This is a surgery I'm actually looking forward to this.

Shannon S.
on 8/23/17 2:39 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Hope you find relief soon. Lapband was an awful surgery (for me). Dr Cantor is suppose to be the best! He's apparently worth the wait. Keep me posted on your progress!

Most Active