2 months post op and losing willpower to eat and drink

momyshaver
on 8/23/17 7:20 am
VSG on 06/28/17

Hi,

I was sleeved on 6/27/17. I did very well on my pre op and stuck to my post op guidelines. I became ill with a back to school cold from my children several weeks ago and ever since then I have really had no desire to eat or drink much if at all some days. Has anyone else experienced this?

Gwen M.
on 8/23/17 8:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's not uncommon. Think of liquid and protein as medicine that you need to take to heal and be healthy. Set a timer to remind yourself to drink - you need to avoid dehydration which can be deadly.

I had no desire to eat/drink after my first reconstructive surgery, so I forced myself to do protein shakes because I knew that I needed it whether I wanted it or not.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

missc_26
on 8/23/17 3:26 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Agree with Gwen, I bought a digital watch and set myself timers to keep on top of my water/food intake. I would also suggest going back to chicken broth to keep your nutrients and protein up.

Eventually my desire to drink and eat did come back but it was hard work in the meantime. Good luck!

adistacke
on 8/23/17 11:29 am
VSG on 05/16/17

About a month after surgery I was having a lot of heartburn and gas from starting soft foods. It made me not want to eat at all. The thought of a protein shake made me more nauseated and I didn't feel like drinking anything either. Around the 2 month mark, things got better (as the surgeon's nurse had promised). There are some weekends when i'm busy running errands, etc that i completely forget to eat or drink anything for hours and realize that I have only eaten once the entire day. I think it's normal and a good sign that you are aware of it rather than ignoring it.

I like the advice you were given to think of it as a requirement for your body. I have a fear of my losing my hair (even though i've heard mixed opinions that you can't prevent it) so that drives me to get my protein over 50gm/dau...whatever motivates you. Do it for your children so you feel better and have more energy? I'm about 14 weeks out and have a regular diet now...i'm eating protein bars and working out 3-4 times a week. I can't believe how much better i feel now and you will feel the same!

courtney_lou
on 8/25/17 12:34 pm
VSG on 11/01/17

The journey for me is just beginning. I am almost ready to receive a surgery date. Your post relates to me the most because my biggest fear is losing my hair. I don't know why, but it is.

My job can be hectic at times and I don't always have a break. Trying to stay hydrated after surgery is a huge concern. I'm also worry about trying to grab some water on the run, drinking too fast and throwing it up. It is going to be a big adjustment but the results will be worth. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/23/17 11:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Been there, done that. At 2 months in, my new diet wasn't fun or novel anymore, it was just a chore.

I ended up setting a timer on my phone and ate every time it went off. I forced myself to drink every hour on the clock, also, since dehydration is no joke.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 8/24/17 8:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was like that the first six months post op. Stop trying to find pleasure in what you are consuming. I treated it all like a business transaction. Knowing my body needed nourishment, I gave it nourishment even though I lacked desire. It did make it easier to do the right thing because cravings were gone, but I did have a bit of mourning when I tried a favorite food and it was not nearly as satisfying as I had it worked up to be.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

momyshaver
on 9/7/17 12:13 pm
VSG on 06/28/17

It is now 9/7. I am doing better. I met with a bariatric nutritionist yesterday and I am really trying and just pushing through right now. It is still a struggle but I can make myself do better and that is my goal at this point.

Most Active