Had surgery yesterday! Very anxious about my new life...

A. Foxter
on 10/20/17 4:09 am
VSG on 10/19/17

I know if it's going to be difficult, and I know it is going to be profound lifestyle change, and I'm happy And willing to embrace that lifestyle change.

few questions:

1.How much pain medicine did you require? They're giving me pain medication but told me I don't need to take it. I have not taken any so far it is unpleasant at times but I would rather avoid the constipation.

2 My surgeon and team have said it is OK to drink full liquids, meaning protein shakes and the like. I have however read in other places that some surgeons recommend clear liquid diet for at least a week. It is my impression just based on being one day postop the clear liquids liquids irritate my stomach less any thoughts? I bought some Isopure, which is a liquid protein that's clear, and my surgeon says that's fine. I'm just wondering what everyone else's experience was.

3. How long before your belly button stop being sore, about a week? Two weeks? They have told me only to walk for the first week or so so I'm not planning on doing any exercise, just curious .

I am very anxious, very anxious but hopeful about the future and Kinf of excited to start my life.

Gwen M.
on 10/20/17 4:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14
  1. I took it regularly the first 2 days, and then just before bed the third day and that was it.
  2. Follow your surgeon's plan.
  3. I was only allowed to walk for the first 6 weeks, and had lifting restrictions. This is common for most of us.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

BrittBrat414
on 10/20/17 5:05 am - MN
VSG on 09/19/17

I had a lot of pain after my surgery (I have a low pain tolerance) and it was also my first major surgery ever so I was on pain medication for over a week and then I got a blood clot in my arm which was horrible so I was on pain medication for that also.

I was on a clear liquid diet for 1 week, the 2 weeks for full liquids, 2 weeks for pureed foods and now on Tuesday I get to start to introduce foods again.

My belly button wasn't sore it was actually the incision where they pulled my stomach through. I was up walking around every 4 hours and I walked 1500 square feet I think the "hospital map" said. I ended up staying in the hospital an extra day because I was in so much pain and wasn't able to tolerate drinking enough water.

I am 4 weeks post op and my stomach muscles are still a little sore. I just walk for right now. I still can't do any heavy lifting.

It's definitely a change but you'll do great. OH has been a great resource for me and I hope you find that it is for you also!

Surgery Date: 09/19/2017 HW: 304.6 SW: 288.1 CW: 245 lbs M1: -19 M2: -16 M3:-8

"It's Impossible - said Pride ; It's Risky - said Experience ; It's Pointless - said Reason ; Give it a try - Whispered the Heart "

A. Foxter
on 10/20/17 7:53 am
VSG on 10/19/17

Thanks for your reply. Good luck. Stay positive!

Ladyblu
on 10/20/17 5:16 am - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

I had my surgery on 9/29.

1. I was on dilaudid in the hospital (I had surgery on Friday and was released to go home on Monday). By Sunday night I was off the IV pain meds and on Lortab 10's. I continued with Lortab until about Thursday. By Monday, I was back at work and off the pain meds.

2. I drank clear liquids for 2 days, by the time I got home I was on full liquids. I went to pureed on day 10 and am now at day 21 I am incorporating regular food back in. I still haven't tried anything crunchy. I've tolerated everything I've eaten but I've gone slow. The only thing that slightly disagreed with me was straight tomato soup. I'm making decisions based on: low carb, low fat, high protein and I log every single thing that I put in my mouth including my chewable vitamins.

3. I had six incisions, but none were through the belly button. Could be because I'd already had two surgeries through there (an exploratory laparoscopy and a hernia repair) and they didn't want to go that way again. Five are all healed perfectly, the last (the one they took the stomach out through - is still a little tender).

I'm still stoked about this whole thing. I love being physically unable to eat more than a few bites.

Diane

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

A. Foxter
on 10/20/17 7:55 am
VSG on 10/19/17

Wow! You really have made a choice to change things for the better. I'm so glad that you took the time to reply, and I greatly appreciate it sounds to me like you're making a life change choice for the better too. Good luck to you.

Ladyblu
on 10/20/17 10:49 pm - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 09/29/17

You'll do great. Remember all the reasons why you decided to go through with it. Before you know it the NSV's will start piling up and give you even more reasons to consider.

All my nightgowns are beginning to fall off my shoulders. I must say that I look forward to all the work that will be necessary to take them in. MUCH better than having to let them out!

Diane

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VSG with Dr. Wanchick - Sept 29 2017

Age 52 Height 5'2" HW 585 (2012) Initial Consult Weight 522 SW 460 (9/29/2017) CW 350 (4/5/2018) Next Goal 325 Starting BMI 95.5 Current BMI 64.0

Pre-Op: 62 M1: 36 M2: 20 M3: 15 M4: 19 M5: 10 M6: 10 M7: ?

mmsmom
on 10/20/17 6:31 am - Woburn, MA

1. I used the pain meds in the hospital but once i came home, I didn't. But, personally, I hate the feeling of being on them. I'd rather have some pain.

2. I was given full liquids in the hospital, which the thoughts of turned my stomach. My surgeon said i could go straight to greek yogurt, which about 2 tsp filled me up. No irritation.

3. I had some pain for about 5 weeks - just one spot where I was told they probably cut through muscle which had to heal. I found a post-partum belt to be extremely helpful. I bought it on amazon. Also, I think I laid on the couch for a few days and then felt fine to walk around and then walk the neighborhood.

Too late to be anxious - it's done. Focus on the positive and your new svelt life!

VSG on 04/28/2014

A. Foxter
on 10/20/17 7:57 am
VSG on 10/19/17

Ha ha, you're right too late to be anxious now I've already passed through and come out the other side

Most Active