NEW TO FORUM!

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/17 7:42 am

Hi everyone! My name is Trista Manbeck and I'm 26 years old, current weight is around the 250-260 range. I decided to have VSG surgery and started my consultations earlier this year. I have a final appointment with psych and my nutritionist on November 2nd, after that it should be smooth sailing to meet with the surgeon and plan a surgery date. I'm not so worried about the actual surgery, some worry about meal planning afterwards, but my MAIN concern, although this may seem vein, I am so worried about loose skin. I have talked to, and watched videos of men and women alike that say they don't feel any better about their bodies due to the overwhelming amount of loose skin they now have. So i was just wondering what everyone else has struggled with regarding loose skin? Also, if they was a way for you to minimize it that didn't result in plastic surgery?

So glad to be a part of the discussion!

Gwen M.
on 10/23/17 8:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome.

Excess skin is a thing - it'll happen or it won't. If it happens, there's nothing you can do to "fix" it aside from plastic surgery. You can, however, learn to accept it and/or wear compression clothing.

I felt AWESOME about my body after my weight loss even with excess skin. The only thing that ever bugged me (bugs me still where my legs are concerned) about the excess skin was that it prevented me from doing the things I wanted to do. There was not enough compression clothing in the world to allow me to do jumping jacks, for example.

But there are no creams or potions that will reduce excess skin, and filling it out with muscle can only go so far.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/17 8:31 am

Thanks for the reply. I think I already knew my answer before I asked the question. I'm hoping since I'm young, the elasticity left in my skin will be kind to me. lol. I've read a lot about strength training. Many people focus on cardio since they know that is inclusive to weight loss and forget the strength training part. I'm planning on A LOT of strength training.

Thanks again!

Gwen M.
on 10/23/17 8:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

For some people, youth can help. The number of years you've been obese can also play a role. And genetics. But.. ultimately if you're going to have loose skin, you're going to have loose skin and there's nothing that can be done about that - including all the strength training in the world.

Strength training is awesome for your health, but it's not going to make excess skin disappear. Sadly.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

theAntiChick
on 10/23/17 10:17 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Everyone is different. I figured the abdominal/thigh skin would be the worst, but I'm more annoyed with the bat wings and droopy breasts than the lower area. I also didn't end up with a significant pannus. It all depends on where your weight was carried, how much excess mass you had, and a host of other factors like hydration and your overall skin elasticity (genetics).

Shapewear and good lingerie can camoflauge a LOT of issues with loose skin post-op. And you're young enough you may not have significant loose skin, or it may be able to tighten up with time. Or you can save and have plastics after you've been at goal a while if the skin is causing you issues and you want to go that route. It's always an option.

I can tell you even though plastics is most likely not an option for me because of the cost, and I'm older so there's not much chance of it taking up by much... I'd still do the surgery in a heartbeat. Healthy in a slightly baggy skin suit is a much better life than fat in a tight skin suit. :)

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/17 11:27 am
VSG on 03/28/17

My loose skin bothers me, but I still feel 100% better in every way than I did when I was obese.

Most Active