Protein Shake Recipes

Keith L.
on 11/1/17 7:16 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Some of these sounded good and I'll be trying them this week. BTW adding cottage cheese to protein shakes is a great way to add some casein protein to your diet.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/gain-mass/12-post- workout-shakes-maximum-muscle

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/17 8:46 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Do you feel like protein shakes are important to long-term maintenance success?

Keith L.
on 11/1/17 8:52 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

They certainly help. One challenge that VSG patients have is reaching their protein goals, protein shakes can give you 20-50 grams of protein in a single meal. So critical no, but important yes. Plus if you are wanting something sweet which occurs more in maintenance they help with those cravings.

KDBaker
on 11/2/17 8:13 am - Exeter, NH
VSG on 10/16/17

My dietician told me that many VSG patients use protein shakes even years out of surgery and they are quite successful. As long as it's not more than 1 or 2 a day it's not a problem.

Keith L.
on 11/2/17 8:57 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Its an individual preference. My wife has been very successful (100lbs in under a year) and only used shakes very early on. She didn't even use up all of the protein we bought her. But I do find them helpful in my toolkit when there are time constraints or even if you wake up and don't feel like making anything. I just wish there were more than chicken soup flavor savory shakes.

Gwen M.
on 11/2/17 9:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't know if you've seen this company, but they offer some savory flavors like turmeric spice and nitro beet. I haven't been brave enough to try them (and I like the powder I use so I'm not really looking for other options). They made from bone, not whey, which may or may not work for your way of eating, but it seems interesting in theory!

https://store.draxe.com/collections/bone-broth-protein

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Keith L.
on 11/2/17 9:10 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I saw this company back when they had one product out and I seem to recall that is was unflavored bone broth protein or something that did not sound all that great. Thanks for pointing them out, I may try some of their products. I try to get as much turmeric through my diet as possible but another source surely couldn't hurt.

Great tip, thanks!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/1/17 12:03 pm

IMO- not at all. Liquid calories. They can be good if you are really sick for a few days and need to add calories and proteins.

Most protein shakes offer very fast delivery - almost predigested proteins that can raise insulin. when too much proteins is absorbed very fast, and the body does not need that for repairs and protein needs - the remaining proteins can be burned as calories, while carbs and fat are stored for "later use".

Long term post op- I want food that keeps me full, keeps my hunger at bay and it is slowly absorbed over time, keeping my BS stable.

Unless yo are trying to build muscles, and weight lifting - too many proteins is shake form may not be the best for a long term maintenance.

I use them only when I can't get real food for a few days (traveling, getting ill, preparing for surgery, post op recovery, etc...).

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

facetedginger
on 11/1/17 11:37 am

Sounds good! I'm trying to get used to drinking protein regularly but struggle due to boredom. :D

Keith L.
on 11/2/17 9:01 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

The amount we have to consume early after surgery makes it much tougher. You have to find a flavor you like and even then you will get sick of it. I usually have 2 to 3 tubs of various flavors I enjoy and I rotate through them it takes a bit longer to get sick of.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views