1 week update

Shannon S.
on 11/14/17 8:49 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm one week out and the pain has mostly subsided. Tolerating liquids/protein shakes exceptionally well. Still a little bloated with gas, and have not had a BM for roughly 8 days. I have a message into my surgeon's office to see what he recommends. I pretty much know what he will recommend, but I'm trying to be the patient and not the nurse for once :)

I've lost 9lbs since surgery. I feel pretty good about that, not trying to compare myself to anyone in that regard because that will drive me crazy.

Just an FYI, something I didn't really consider after surgery was gaining water weight from all the IV fluids. I was 349 day of surgery, and was 357 when I got home 24 hours after. I recommend not weighing until day 5 or 7 because even though I knew it was fluid retention, it was a little disappointing.

I'm so excited about my future, and can't wait to get my strength back (and of course MD approval) so I can exercise. Thinking about something like yoga in the beginning to strengthen everything.

What excercises did you start with and how soon?

KDBaker
on 11/14/17 9:39 am - Exeter, NH
VSG on 10/16/17

Glad to hear you are doing well! I'm 4 weeks out and right now I walk for exercise. My surgeon said all restrictions will be lifted at 6 weeks. I plan on starting with yoga and some kind of cardio class at my gym. Maybe spin or Zumba.

Shannon S.
on 11/14/17 12:49 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Thanks so much. I'll definitely be joining a gym for the classes mostly. I love the idea of Zumba too!

KDBaker
on 11/14/17 1:09 pm - Exeter, NH
VSG on 10/16/17

All my friends who do it say it's fun. I'm just worried about hurting myself. I mean....I threw out my back singing once. What'll happen if I try dancing??

Shannon S.
on 11/14/17 7:44 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm the same way. I literally had back surgery 6 months ago. That's why I was thinking to start with walking, then progress very mild (beginner) yoga, then maybe step it up to something more fast paced.

carolw1229
on 11/14/17 9:52 am
VSG on 10/18/17

So glad to hear you are doing well. I have arthritis in my left foot so walking is difficult for me. I'll have foot surgery eventually after I lose substantial weight. But for now I bought a great Schwinn 230 recumbent bike. I started using it after 2 weeks and I'm up to 3 miles. I increase distance and resistance each time. I also use 1-2 pound weights for upper body arm exercises.

I wish I could just go outside for a walk instead since the weather is so beautiful right now. I also have a pool but it's not heated and we use it May-Oct so I'll use it in the spring again.

I know exercise is important but it's challenging for me right now. I'm doing the best I can. I really like my new bike.

Carol

Shannon S.
on 11/14/17 12:52 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Great idea! I also have limited mobility. I had a microdisectomy L5-S1 this past May, and I have arthritis in my back. I will also be taking it easy!

theAntiChick
on 11/14/17 9:52 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I'm so glad the pain has subsided for you. What pain I did have was all but gone by 7 days in, so I was hoping that you would at least get some relief soon. :)

And yes, the surgeon is going to suggest exactly what you think he is. :D I think I went about that long, but I have IBS-C to start with so I was in a world of hurt by then. I hope you resolve that easily and painlessly.

I was restricted to walking only until about 6 weeks, I think. She did let me get in the pool as soon as my incisions were sealed, but all I was doing was water walking at that point. Easier on my poor joints. :)

As soon as you're cleared, some light weight work in addition to something like yoga is a good idea, weights along with adequate protein can help you retain more muscle mass as you lose weight.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Shannon S.
on 11/14/17 1:00 pm, edited 11/14/17 5:00 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Thank you so much. Just as I thought, he said MOM. He also said mineral oil would be fine. Light weights are a great idea and something I have at home. With your IBS condition, do you use anything regularly to keep things moving? I only ask because I?ve wondered with the high protein, low carb (which equates to low fiber) diet we are put on, if constipation isn?t a common issue.

theAntiChick
on 11/15/17 5:57 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

It is a common issue. I try to use miralax daily, but I actually manage it about 2x/week. If I go more than a couple of days, I will take some senna or bisacodyl to keep from getting impacted. Because yes, I've gotten that bad. :(

My PCP gave me a recipe that she swears works for all of her patients, but I haven't mixed it up yet. It's 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran, and 1/2 cup prune juice. Mix well, store in refrigerator. Daily take 1-2 Tablespoons with 8oz or more of water. My PCP claims even her IBS-C patients get VERY regular with this stuff. We'll see.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views