1 more month to go before I will get my surgery scheduled-Getting nervous

crystalcandoit
on 11/17/17 8:39 am
RNY on 02/06/18

I have one more month to go with my require 6 month supervised weight loss program before my file will be submitted to the insurance for approval. I have be steadily losing weight, 39 pounds so far (about 20% of my excess body weight). I am getting some push back already from people who do not understand my need to get the surgery done. Mainly, you have been so successful so far why do the surgery?

I have to admit I am getting nervous. It is not helping that the surgeon that I started the program with just announced that he is leaving the practice. They assured me today that he would still be doing my surgery because I am so close to being ready and he is trying to finish up his clients.

Is it normal to get so nervous as you get closer to the surgery being reality? Any words of wisdom to help me through the nerves?

Starting weight-374 lbs Surgery weight-306 lbs Pre-op- -68 lbs M1- -21 lbs M2- -3 lbs M3- -13 lbs

Dcgirl
on 11/17/17 8:56 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

TOTALLY normal! Of course! Who doesn't think surgery is scary - you're definitely not alone. I was totally excited to start losing weight and be healthy so I wasn't afraid of the RNY per se, but I was scared of the surgical part. When I got to the hospital I told them and they gave me a Valium pill I think it was, which sort of mellowed me out. I said I was afraid of throwing up after surgery from being nauseated and I got a patch behind my ear. Right as they are about to wheel you in to the operating room, they put some MAGICAL thing in your IV and I swear, it makes you love the universe. And the next thing you know, 1.5 hours later you will be waking up in recovery :) I was able to get up and pee right away, was texting friends and family that I was ok, and could walk in the hallways. Sip water when they let you, walk slowly, and get ready for a healthy new life! You will do great!

And I have not seen my surgeon since surgery. As long as you chose someone who is skilled at doing the cutting, and you have a support group in place for after surgery (for me it was OH, not my in-person groups at my hospital, which are pointless), then it's ok if your surgeon moves to a new practice. As long as they have other surgeons who could see you if for some reason you need to go after surgery for something.

I could lose weight before surgery but NEVER kept it off. This surgery is not magic, it's just a tool. For me, the losing part was the easy part. I ate high protein, low carb, and the weight melted off. Maintenance has proven to be much harder. It's doable but not easy by any means, for me. But I am 1000% sure that I would not be at my current weight if I had somehow done it without surgery. I say, ignore the people who are likely "normal" sized and think you can do it on your own - just my two cents!

crystalcandoit
on 11/17/17 9:15 am
RNY on 02/06/18

Thank you so much and you are right I am not so much scared of the procedure, I am nervous about being in the hospital. I am comfortable with the two established surgeons in the practice but I told them today that I do not want a new doctor to do the cutting. Again has nothing to do with the new person they are bringing in but I do not trust easily and I want someone who has experience.

It is really just one co-worker who is being negative and yes she is a naturally thin person who is also 15 years younger than me. I tried to explain the same thing that you had mentioned that I have lost the weight before and the issue was not losing it, but keeping it off long term. She was a little condescending and then called herself a skinny fat person while she was eating a brownie for lunch, which just made me want to scream!!! My body does not work that way...I think about eating a brownie and a gained 3 pounds. I have loved OH so far and found it more supportive then the in person support group I had to go to as part of my surgery approval requirements.

Thanks again!!

hollykim
on 11/17/17 1:30 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 17, 2017 at 5:15 PM Pacific Time, crystalcandoit wrote:

Thank you so much and you are right I am not so much scared of the procedure, I am nervous about being in the hospital. I am comfortable with the two established surgeons in the practice but I told them today that I do not want a new doctor to do the cutting. Again has nothing to do with the new person they are bringing in but I do not trust easily and I want someone who has experience.

It is really just one co-worker who is being negative and yes she is a naturally thin person who is also 15 years younger than me. I tried to explain the same thing that you had mentioned that I have lost the weight before and the issue was not losing it, but keeping it off long term. She was a little condescending and then called herself a skinny fat person while she was eating a brownie for lunch, which just made me want to scream!!! My body does not work that way...I think about eating a brownie and a gained 3 pounds. I have loved OH so far and found it more supportive then the in person support group I had to go to as part of my surgery approval requirements.

Thanks again!!

these ppl have seen many ppl lose weight and regain it again. They usually like it when that happens. When someone loses and gains it makes that thin person feel morally superior.

If you lose weight and keep it off, you ruin her game. I personally would continue doing everything I could to ruin her game indefinitely.

Y

Goddessmoon
on 11/17/17 2:38 pm
VSG on 11/30/17

I am nervous too! My surgery was initially suppose to be Dec 6th, earlier this week they called and needed to move it to Nov 30th! I did pre op testing yesterday! Every since I found out a date my stomach has been in knots. I am just ready to get it over with to be honest and move on to a healthier life. I started my journey in March of 2016 with my 6months and so on. I have been losing on my own since April and have lost 90 pounds. So I went from 560-470. I know alot of people tend to keep their surgery from others just because of individuals like your co worker. NOBODY understands what a person that is over weight or obese has to go through everyday. It is easy to pass judgement if you are already thin. I think everyone is always nervous naturally, just try and relax and know the first day to your new life is on the way! Anyways,best of luck your way!!

crystalcandoit
on 11/20/17 8:53 am
RNY on 02/06/18

Thanks...Good Luck on your surgery!! Let me know how you do, I love hearing success stories!

Gwen M.
on 11/17/17 6:30 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal to be nervous.

As for the push back? Stop talking with those people about surgery.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

crystalcandoit
on 11/20/17 8:56 am
RNY on 02/06/18

I really did not have a choice sharing. We are a small team at work and I need people to cover my clients while I am out for surgery. UGH...I wish I had just lied and said it was anything else. She is constantly making little comments.

Gwen M.
on 11/20/17 1:48 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It sounds like it's script time!

Pick a script for this person and then repeat it, verbatim, every single time she makes a comment. I know it feels silly and stupid, but it's oftentimes the only way to get someone to get a clue. A good script is response + subject change. So here are examples:

"My medical team has got me covered! Can you believe Tyrion got eaten by Drogon in the last episode of Game of Thrones?!" (I.e., random TV show reference)

"My medical team has got me covered! Do you think the piggers will go all the way this year?!" (I.e., random sports reference)

"My medical team has got me covered! How's your sex life going?" (I.e., completely inappropriate question to ask a person, preferably pick one that won't get YOU in trouble, though!)

Basically, the idea is that you pick one script and use the exact same one every single time. So the same response and the same subject change. You'll feel silly, for sure, but it gets easier :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

theAntiChick
on 11/17/17 7:38 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I wrote about this exact thing in my blog last year:

http://www.theantichick.com/2016/08/05/the-easy-way-out/

Hope it helps. :) Most of us had very similar thoughts. And I can tell you, my only regret is not doing it years ago.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views