Question for Those Who Live Where it is Cold

Keith L.
on 12/8/17 6:33 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Ok, since my surgery over 5 years ago I have had my moments with hunger and they were typically short lived. I recently moved from South Florida to the Florida Panhandle where the weather is quite a bit different. This time of year I would normally be enjoying low to high 70's. Right now it is 42 and they are predicting snow before the end of the weekend. I grew up in Northern Ohio so I am not a stranger to cold although after 26 years in Fort Lauderdale I can certainly say I have grown out of it.

My question for those of you who live in the cold areas, do you find your appetite increases as it gets to the colder temperatures? I have been ravenously hungry this week and I cannot think of any other explanation and I don't just mean momentary bouts. I mean like I just finished eating my breakfast 10 minutes ago and I am wondering if it is lunch time.

Thoughts?

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Gwen M.
on 12/8/17 6:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hm. Interesting question. I don't find that my appetite increases in the cold. But I can understand why it would happen - biological need to put on weight to survive the winter?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 12/8/17 7:17 am - Warren, OH

Northeastern Ohio all my life. Watch the wild animals. The raccoons, woodchucks, groundhogs, and squirrels gain weight in winter. And it is not all of the Christmas cookies that make them fat, because they do not observe the holidays. It is the short days and cold weather.

The body naturally tries to add extra layers of fat to keep us warm in cold weather. That is the reason for the hunger and seasonal weight gain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/17 8:47 am, edited 12/8/17 12:48 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I live where it gets quite cold. I don't think I've noticed more hunger (that could be because I am only 8+ months out from VSG) but I have noticed more of an urge to snuggle up and get cozy inside with food. I often look at my toddler to figure out what unsocialized humans would naturally do, and he doesn't seem to be eating any more or asking for food more often now that it is colder. My husband is certainly eating more though, and in his case I think it is also an urge to get cozy and comfort himself with food.

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/17 8:54 am
VSG on 10/11/16

I'm still a noob at this since this is my first winter being all healed up. It is cold here - real cold. I don't know what I'm going to do when it gets REAL cold! Today the high is going to be 31° or something close. I have noticed that I am getting hungry earlier with the onset of colder weather. Offsetting that is the fact that I will burn more calories just staying warm, although I am not sure how I would quantify that.

One thing I have been doing that really helps is drinking lots more decaf coffee. I like it, and it helps keep me warm as well as staving off hunger pangs before the next meal. There is a downside, as there are more trips to the bathroom, but I can live with that.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/8/17 10:17 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'll let you know what happens to my appetite when I return to Massachusetts early next week from southern Florida. I have felt less hungry during the day here.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

yvonnef1964
on 12/8/17 12:49 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

Sometimes I do after thinking of it. I've been snacking more at night.

mmsmom
on 12/9/17 4:24 am - Woburn, MA

Well, that explains things!! LOL - In all honesty, I realized the other day that I truly never feel hunger. However, that doesn't stop me from wanting to eat. We are also less active in the cold, at least I am - shorter walks, more time indoors, etc.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Most Active