My experience...5 days post op

lbelas
on 12/13/17 12:46 pm

45 y/o female 5'8 VSG 12/8 Pre-op 263 SW 250.6 CW 244

6 Months with dietician and psychologist led me to my surgery date. Pre-op was uneventful. Doc came out after my 1.5 hour surgery spread to over 2 hours. Trocar accidentally poked a vessel going into my spleen and I lost about a liter of blood. I don't remember much in recovery except I needed to throw up and that was my BIGGEST fear going into this surgery. Fortunately, my labs weren't too bad so I didn't require a transfusion. I was moved to the PCU and there I stayed until I finally was discharged this morning. My blood counts had to get into normal range and my potassium wasn't cooperating. The first sip was odd, but it wasn't painful. Taking my meds that were no larger than a tic-tac was a breeze. Its strange, though, when you think you're taking a small sip and it is still too much!

Stuff happens. You take on the risk with any surgery. My surgeon was great as was all the staff. I am a nurse so I am very critical. Keep in mind that things do happen. Plan for the worst and hope for the best

Shannon S.
on 12/13/17 4:59 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm glad you are okay and you still have your spleen. Hopefully the rest of this will be smoothe sailing for you. As a fellow nurse I can say we are super critical of the med field, however we have to hold these medical professional accountable. We know too much!

Most Active