Body adjustment after carb increase?

seperry4
on 12/14/17 9:15 am
VSG on 10/23/17

Sleeved on 10.23.17. Lost about 55 pounds from preop until this point. The last few weeks I have been eating pretty low carb (under 20 total carbs with about 10-15 net carbs). I had chili the past few nights for dinner and it is a bit higher in carbs. I have been at 30 total carbs with 20-25 net carbs. I have gained 1.5 in the past two days. Will this even out if I continue to eat at this carb level or do I need to go back to super low carb? I'm just struggling right now with what exactly I should be eating to hit the sweet spot for my weight loss.

Thank you!

califsleevin
on 12/14/17 9:50 am - CA

Yes, it is likely a manifestation of the low carb diet, as your glycogen levels are being kept low (under the premise that you supposedly burn more fat that way) and your body will take any opportunity to raise them back to normal. Glycogen takes about 4lb of water to keep 1 lb in solution, so there is some water weight gain "in escrow" in any low carb type of diet. This is where the common advice to overshoot one's goal weight by a few pounds comes from - to make up for tha****er weight gain when returning the diet to something closer to normal.

So, yes, if you return your diet to the ultra low carb that you were before, you will likely lose that 1.5 pounds ipretty quickly and continue losing as you were; if you stay where you are on your diet with a little higher carb level, your weight loss trend will resume pretty much as it was from where you are now, and you will have a little less to regain once your reach goal. I never kept the carbs all that low (averaged around 100) and had an overall very stable loss trend. Your overall loss rate is primarily determined by your overall average caloric deficit that you maintain, and carb levels provide just one of several water weight variations that influence the stability of the loss rate (including hormones, medication changes, sodium intake, etc. etc. etc.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

seperry4
on 12/14/17 9:53 am
VSG on 10/23/17

Thank you! This is extremely helpful!

Knitter215
on 12/14/17 4:01 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

Also, if the chili is heavy on the salt, some of it could be that. I know that when I eat certain foods (chili, chinese, taco beef, etc.) I tend to pick up a pound of water weight that goes away after a few days.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

White Dove
on 12/15/17 2:13 pm - Warren, OH

I am hooked on a smart scale that measures weight, BMI, muscle, water, and bone loss. If I go up a pound I can tell if it is water.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active