Why not Mexico

Harpediem
on 1/16/18 7:23 pm

I know I really want VSG and have my preop seminar tomorrow , when I get my date to meet the surgeon. In Ontario it can be difficult to get VSG under our socialized medicine system as RNY is the standard. So I checked out Dr A in Mexico and he has an opening in five weeks. Very exciting . But my husband is terrified I'll die on the table if I go to Mexico , though he doesn't have any fears if I get surgery here in Ontario . Not sure what to say to him . He's been supporting me all the way so far but going to another country scares him. Dr A. Seems to have an excellent reputation . Any ideas?

NYMom222
on 1/16/18 10:08 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Dr A does have an excellent reputation. I have followed him for s long time on social media.

There is always that fear, what if there is a complication? Have you asked him how many surgeries he's done and his complication rate?

I am sure he's had plenty of Canadian patients- how does he tell them to handle complications?

Did you have a chance to have a conversation with the doctor directly?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

annmarie62
on 1/20/18 11:36 am - Union City, CA

I had my surgery there in 2009. Best decision I've ever made. Hosptal is above clean, staff is unbelievably nice. Double checks everything agter surgery so you dont need to go back.

helferships
on 1/17/18 5:27 am
RNY on 11/14/16

That seems incredibly risky to me. For one thing, if you go to Mexico you would miss out on the extensive and excellent preparation and post-operative support afforded by our outstanding tax-payer funded health care system in Ontario. These processes and procedures (including the presence for RNYs) have been put in place by eminent practitioners and are there for a reason.

And what if something goes wrong? Who is going to take care of you if there are complications? I'm sure there are excellent doctors in Mexico but it's still medical tourism.

Sorry if I seem preachy but my experience in the Ontario system has been overwhelmingly positive and to want go outside the system really seems like looking a gift horse in the mouth. Especially when I hear about the struggles of those in the US in having to deal with insurance companies or Medicaid. We are so lucky in comparison!

anyway good luck with your pre-op appointment!

helfer

helferships
on 1/17/18 8:06 am
RNY on 11/14/16

...sorry, meant to say the Ontario *preference* for RNYs is well-founded.

Mirandia
on 1/19/18 2:23 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Um ... sorry but dealing with medicaid was HARDLY a "struggle." I have zero doubt that for every American that has a problem dealing with their insurance I can find a Canadian with just as much trouble. And for every happy Canadian I can find a happy American. Yes, we pay a lot for medical care ... and you pay a lot in taxes ... different branches of the same tree.

Being forced into getting a surgery you don't really want (RNY instead of VSG) is a very big deal and is NOT "looking a gift horse in the mouth"

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

helferships
on 1/19/18 4:04 am, edited 1/18/18 10:08 pm
RNY on 11/14/16

Your response is quite interesting from a health care policy standpoint. I meant no disrespect to the US health care system generally but you must agree there are literally 1000s of posts on this site from Americans with problems in funding their surgeries. That?s just not an issue in Canada so it is incorrect to say that Canadians have just as much trouble dealing with insurance. We also don?t pay more in taxes because we don?t have a private profit element in our system. Our system is therefore much less expensive. The corollary however is that we have less ability to ?purchase? the healthcare we want or demand that our eminent surgeons depart from established practice without cause. But nobody in Canada is being forced into a surgery they don?t want.

edited to add that the "gift horse" in this case is the extensive follow up care available to the OP courtesy of the taxpayers of Ontario (bless them).

birdiegirl
on 1/20/18 2:24 pm

No one is going to "force her into a surgery she doesn't want". There are almost the same percentage of VSG's performed as RNY in Ontario. The OP is misinformed that she cannot get the surgery she wants

Grim_Traveller
on 1/17/18 5:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I won't address specific doctors or hospitals, but I would not avoid Mexico myself if I had no other option. A great many people go there, with great results.

But, you do have an option, of doing RNY in Canada. And at no cost. Why, exactly, are you so set on VSG, rather than RNY?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Nknerr
on 1/17/18 6:36 am
VBG on 12/07/17

I agree that you would miss out on the pre and post-op support if you go to Mexico. Remember, the surgery is not the answer to the issue, but rather a tool to help you lose the weight. You really need the pre-surgery help of the weight loss center and nutritionists who will not be there for you with Mexico. From what I understand from a friend who went to Mexico, there was no help with what to eat after surgery and she ended up with severe issues from chronic vomiting. But, she was never told about the soft liquid, pureed and then soft solid stages! I can't even imagine not being able to pick up the phone and talk to a nurse about whatever issue I have at any given time!

Hang in there and stay in Canada for the operation. I would have if I could! (My insurance made me do quite a lot of pre-op work, including monthly visits for 6 months, 4 nutritionist meetings, had to lose 30 lbs pre-op, and be evaluated by both social workers and a psychiatrist for clearance, along with medical clearance, and all that goes with it. Was it a pain in the keister? Yes, but I wouldn't trade it for any other level of care!)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views