Frustrated.

Marcysflightdiary
on 1/23/18 1:56 pm
VSG on 09/05/17

I had surgery on September 5th, 2017 and my weight was 276. It is now January 23rd and I am now at 253. I went through a time post op from week 2-6 where I had severe diarrhea and ended up going to ER for fluids but nothing else seemed to be wrong.

I cut out all dairy and grains yo help stop the diarrhea instead of taking Imodium every day and I lost a couple pounds a month. Not the suggestion of my clinic because they seem clueless. Now nothing since beginning of December. I walk/jog and lift for exercise. I started c25k in hopes it would help me lose but nothing.

A week ago I switched to eating 3 meals a day. 1 green smoothie a day(fage 0%, spinach, strawberries and pineapple and almond milk) and lean meat and veggies at lunch and dinner. When I calculate it it comes out around 800 calories a day.

I have my three month follow up on Thursday but I'm not hopeful that they can help me. Their plan includes potatoes, whole grains and processed milk snacks and crap that my system does not handle. I feel like I ruined my body and I don't know where to turn.

Help please.

Laura in Texas
on 1/23/18 2:17 pm
On January 23, 2018 at 9:56 PM Pacific Time, Marcysflightdiary wrote:

I had surgery on September 5th, 2017 and my weight was 276. It is now January 23rd and I am now at 253. I went through a time post op from week 2-6 where I had severe diarrhea and ended up going to ER for fluids but nothing else seemed to be wrong.

I cut out all dairy and grains yo help stop the diarrhea instead of taking Imodium every day and I lost a couple pounds a month. Not the suggestion of my clinic because they seem clueless. Now nothing since beginning of December. I walk/jog and lift for exercise. I started c25k in hopes it would help me lose but nothing.

A week ago I switched to eating 3 meals a day. 1 green smoothie a day(fage 0%, spinach, strawberries and pineapple and almond milk) and lean meat and veggies at lunch and dinner. When I calculate it it comes out around 800 calories a day.

I have my three month follow up on Thursday but I'm not hopeful that they can help me. Their plan includes potatoes, whole grains and processed milk snacks and crap that my system does not handle. I feel like I ruined my body and I don't know where to turn.

Help please.

I would cut out the fruit and limit veggies until you reach goal. Focus on protein. Hopefully the almond milk is unsweetened because the sweetened version has a lot of sugar.

Measure your portions and track every bite. Are you getting in enough water?

Hang in there. Your body is not ruined.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Marcysflightdiary
on 1/23/18 2:28 pm
VSG on 09/05/17

It is unsweetened almond milk. So you recommend straight protein and forget everything else? I could drink 3 protein shakes a day for days and not lose a drop of weight. Plus have them be quality protein shakes(jay Robb with only Stevia in the shake mix and mixed with water) and not lose a drop. I'm up to trying anything at this point.

I weight and measure everything as I'm packing food for each day and I drink 100oz of water a day. My urine is completely clear with no color.

jenorama
on 1/23/18 9:29 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I bet you if you actually did drink only three protein shakes for several days you'd absolutely lose weight. You'd be ravenously hungry, but you'd lose weight. You can't "trick" your body. Just about the only thing you can do is balance out your carbs to trigger a water weight loss, commonly known as a "whoosh". Starvation mode isn't a thing and neither is set point.

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is a thing, however and there are lots of calculators online that can help you figure out yours. For a very rough estimate of your maintenance calories, take your current weight and multiply it by 10. That will give you a good idea of how many calories per day it takes you to maintain your current weight. Keep yourself 500 under that each day and you'll lose a pound a week. There are things that can affect your day-to-day weight. Muscle soreness from exercising or extra salt can make you retain water. A woman's monthly cycle can also affect the scale, but remember--you're in this for the long haul. Chart your weight over time and keep an eye on the trend.

Stay your course, keep up with your hydration and pay attention to what you put in your mouth. When people lose focus, the weight comes back. You can totally do this! :D

Jen

Donna L.
on 1/24/18 7:52 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I frequently stall when I eat fruit and my calories are low. I am very sensitive to carbohydrates, and it's stupendously annoying.

If I cut carbs but also keep my calories quite low I do consistently lose weight. That means about 500-600 a day. Going on Saxenda helped me lose weight faster because I am very insulin resistant and have two autoimmune metabolic disorders. You may want to see a bariatrician or an endocrinologist.

You also will not lose weight as quickly if your cortisol is high from stress, or if you are not sleeping. Some medications can also cause weight gain even if calories are controlled, such as anti-psychotics, because they affect insulin mechanisms very much so, and insulin is a trigger for fat storage vs. fat burning. A lack of sleep, though, can severely impact weight loss.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 1/23/18 3:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Try ditching the fruits and vegetables and sticking to dense proteins. Measure your portions. Don't take any calorie burn from exercise into account when you track your calories.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Marcysflightdiary
on 1/23/18 3:26 pm
VSG on 09/05/17

I don't adjust calories from exercise. Never have. I do weigh and measure all my protein and track it all. I didn't eat fruit and veggies before last week and still didn't lose. I hoped that adding in a small amount 50g of carbs total for the shake that it would trick my body but no luck.

Gwen M.
on 1/23/18 3:28 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Well, if you're following all the rules and still not losing weight, it might be wise to talk to your surgeon and maybe pursue further medical care - perhaps an endocrinologist?

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

beckers80
on 1/23/18 4:00 pm

I'm right there with you. Not losing no matter what I do. I'm following a very low carb almost keto diet and still nothing... I have gained back 20 since surgrey date back in 2014.

I haven't been focusing on calories only on carb count under 20 maybe I should switch that?? thoughts

Gwen M.
on 1/23/18 4:21 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It would be worth tracking everything you put in your mouth so you know exactly what your macros and calories are. You can still overeat on a low-carb diet!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views