Medications

Krob78
on 1/27/18 4:18 am

Hey all! I'm at the start of my journey and just finished up all of my pre op testing. I understand that we need to take medicines in chewable or liquid form. Has anyone come across a medication that doesn't come in those forms? I am on Sertraline for anxiety and there isn't another form besides a pill (that cannot be crushed) Any ideas?

Surgery date 4/27/18 !!!

Shannon S.
on 1/27/18 7:49 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm pretty sure I've administered the liquid form to g-tube patients as a nurse. Look up setraline oral solution or Zoloft oral solution.

Krob78
on 1/28/18 4:35 am

The problem is it needs to be diluted with a half cup of water and it needs to be taken all at once!

Shannon S.
on 1/28/18 10:47 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Ahhh okay, that would not have been a problem for me but some do have a problem with fluids in the beginning. Not sure how big the pill is but I think some docs will allow very small pills to be swallowed.

califsleevin
on 1/27/18 7:52 am - CA

You need to discuss this with your surgical team if this is coming from them, as this isn't really standard VSG protocol; it's more of an old school RNY practice, and many of them don't do it anymore, either. Other than some medications or supplements that come as big horse pills (like calcium) I never had any problem with pills even within the first week, and many or the horse pill meds come in smaller lower dose pills that can be doubled up to get the correct dose.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Krob78
on 1/28/18 4:36 am

Thanks so much! It came from the dietician. I have an appt with my doc on the 14th, I will discuss it with him. The pill is tiny so I hope it won't be an issue.

califsleevin
on 1/28/18 8:08 am - CA

I wouldn't expect it to be an issue, but the MD is the one to discuss this with. While avoiding medication through diet can be one of the ultimate goals of the RD (dietician) over time, dealing with those medications is the MD's area of expertise, but depending upon who the RD works for (the WLS program, or the hospital in general,) they may not be that up on the different physical requirements of the different procedures, and will sometimes treat all WLS patients as if the are having an RNY, as that has been the most common procedure in the past.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Gwen M.
on 1/27/18 9:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

According to the ASMBS, there's no problem with swallowing pills post-op, although some can be uncomfortable feeling. Definitely talk with your medical team about this.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tweety135
on 1/28/18 3:00 pm
VSG on 01/23/18

I had VSG on Jan. 23, 2018, so I can contribute to this one...before I left the hospital I was given a small pain pill to swallow with two sips of water. At home I'm taking a prescription Prilosec that is a normal sized pill about the size of an extra strength Tylenol 2x per day as well as the small pain pills. It felt a little weird at first, but then it was fine.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/28/18 6:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I take psych meds for bipolar, and was given clearance (by both surgeon and psychiatrist) to continue taking my normal meds in their pill form immediately after surgery. I split the pills in half, took each piece with a tiny sip of water, and did the whole thing over about fifteen minutes. No problems.

"Chewable or liquid" guidelines are generally for the first week or so post-op; after you're all healed up, you're fine to take standard pills.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active