Chronic Heartburn after the Sleeve?

Karen63
on 1/28/18 1:21 pm

I haven't had any weight-loss surgery yet. About three years ago I was going to have it and then my doctor said no because I had some long issues and was in the hospital and now I'm looking to have the procedure again.

Almost every YouTube video I watch where somebody has had the sleeve done it seems that Every single one of them has heartburn even if they're taking excellent or heartburn medications every single day even two years out. Is that the same in your case?

hollykim
on 1/28/18 1:42 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 28, 2018 at 9:21 PM Pacific Time, Karen63 wrote:

I haven't had any weight-loss surgery yet. About three years ago I was going to have it and then my doctor said no because I had some long issues and was in the hospital and now I'm looking to have the procedure again.

Almost every YouTube video I watch where somebody has had the sleeve done it seems that Every single one of them has heartburn even if they're taking excellent or heartburn medications every single day even two years out. Is that the same in your case?

yes, reflux or "heartburn " is a well recognized side effect of sleeve surgery.

If you have reflux now, it will likely be worse if you have a sleeve.

Karen63
on 1/28/18 1:44 pm

Thank You. Do you know if that's the same for the Roux-en-Y surgery?

hollykim
on 1/28/18 1:47 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 28, 2018 at 9:44 PM Pacific Time, Karen63 wrote:

Thank You. Do you know if that's the same for the Roux-en-Y surgery?

no, the sleeve and the RNY are two different types of weight loss surgery.

The RNY is recommended got ppl who have reflux cause it can often cure the reflux by the way the surgery is done.

Karen63
on 1/28/18 10:02 pm

Thanks. I know they are two different types of surgery just wasn't sure if both had problems with acid reflux. Thank you

Cathy H.
on 1/28/18 1:46 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

No. I suffer from occasional heartburn like everyone, but no more than the average non-WLS person. I do not take any heartburn medications daily, either. On rare occasions I may have to take a dose of Prilosec, but for me that's usually after too much coffee for a couple of days lol.

Everyone is different, and there are no guarantees, though. There is a higher rate of post-surgery GERD in VSG patients, and some have revisions to RNY because of it. Also, if you have GERD or a high rate of heartburn, etc., prior to surgery, most surgeons will recommend RNY and not VSG for that very reason.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Karen63
on 1/28/18 10:03 pm

That makes sense. Thanks

Shannon S.
on 1/28/18 2:20 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm not sure of the exact statistics, but there are some who get heartburn (GERD) after surgery. In some it corrects GERD, and in some who have GERD prior to surgery, it gets worse. Many surgeons will not perform the surgery if the patient has a current diagnosis of GERD. So far I have not had a terrible issue. I take 1 Prilosec every 2-3 days, and that's only because I'm trying to ween off the Prilosec at this time, and believe I am experiencing something called rebound relux second to my body becoming used to the Prilosec. This medicine is a difficult one to abruptly stop.

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/18 2:35 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I was on a daily dose of Prilosec for about six months after surgery. Then I went down to every other day, and then to about 2-3 times a week. Since Jan 1 of this year I have not taken any. I do pop a couple of Tums every now and then, but I also put hot pepper on my eggs every day and I eat ghost pepper sauce in my chili. I am just about 16 months out from surgery.

Karen63
on 1/28/18 10:05 pm

Congrats on your weight loss. I like hot sauce now & then too. ?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views