2 month outers

ElusiveJoanna
on 2/4/18 10:36 pm
VSG on 12/11/17

Hi. I am back again. I am frustrated. I don't know of others who had their surgery around the time I did are so far ahead of me or seem to be

I had the VSG Dec 11.

On surgery date I weighed 321

Today, I am 292.. I did lose 23 pounds in the preop diet which began on Nov 27th, when I weighed in @ 344

My question is

Who has had surgery on or around the same time I did and how much have you lost SINCE surgery ( not pre surgery or your heaviest) but JUST since surgery?

Go

ReinaS
on 2/5/18 12:26 am
VSG on 12/05/17

Today is my two month surgeversary (I had VSG on 5th of December) and I've lost since surgery total of 50 pounds, with pre-op diet (almost 2 weeks) I lost 20 pounds, so it's -70lbs so far.

I would say it's rather fast weight-loss I think, but I move alot (about 20 000 steps a day, sometimes more).

SW: 256lbs, GW: 165lbs, height: 5ft6

pre-op: -21lbs M1: -30lbs M2: -18lbs M3: -16lbs

Grim_Traveller
on 2/5/18 5:01 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You've lost 3.6 pounds per week since surgery. That's pretty good.

Are you weighing and logging your food? Doing that, and being certain your intake is low, will give you the confidence to stay on track.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ElusiveJoanna
on 2/5/18 8:24 am
VSG on 12/11/17

Shut up. Look at you. That is wonderful. Wonderful. So proud of you.
How do you feel. What is your goal weight. I mean, is where you're at where you'll stay? You're pretty tall, so weight is different for tall people

Nice to meet you. I'm Joanna

Thanks for the encouragement

Gwen M.
on 2/5/18 6:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Comparing yourself to other people is a great way to give up on yourself. Are you sticking to your plan? If the answer is yes, you're losing at the right rate for yourself. Keep up the great work - you'll reach your goals!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nknerr
on 2/5/18 7:19 am
VBG on 12/07/17

You are making FINE progress, according to my WLS. They say 8-12 lbs. When you lost a lot at one time, it tends to be the water weight. Also, you lost a significant amount on the preop. That is going to make your body stop the weight loss for a while. I know, because it happened to me and my surgeon's office kind of told me that my body was entering into a "starvation mode" and that slowed my weight loss. From the time of one month prior to my surgery to the present time, I lost 37 lbs, which is on track. Don't worry about the numbers. Worry about how you feel and if you are keeping track of your diet and eating what you should be. (BTW, during the time my weight loss slowed, I lost INCHES from my core and legs!) It is a journey. It didn't go on all at one time and it won't come off that way, either!

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

califsleevin
on 2/5/18 10:21 am - CA

I think that you answered your question in your original question - you had already lost 23 pounds in the couple weeks before surgery. Most any serious weight loss effort is front loaded - you have a big loss very early as your body adjusts to the major caloric deficit and you burn up your short term energy reserves of glycogen (which needs water to keep in solution.) Glycogen is also basically carbohydrate which burns fairly rapidly. After you burn that off you body switches to burning off your fat stores which burn more slowly, and can take some time as it shifts gears to go into fat burning mode (which has nothing at all to do with ketogenic diets and the like.)

So, someone who had a similar weight, BMI and metabolism to yours, who had surgery at about the same time as you but had no pre-op diet would likely be behind you on the losing curve; likewise, someone similar to you who had no pre-op diet but had surgery when you started your pre-op diet would likely be at about the same place as you are now.

Don't worry, be happy and enjoy the ride.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Bakermama
on 2/5/18 11:11 am

I had surgery on Nov 27 at 216 lbs. Today I am at 195. Started process at 255. Like one of the other posters wrote though, there was rapid weight loss during the two week liquid diet pre- op. I am following my plan and seeing a lot of changes in the way my clothes fit. Try not to let the scale determine how well you are doing.

Sandy

VSG on 11/27/17

HW 255 Pre- op 230 SW 216 CW 198

Kays
on 2/5/18 10:55 am
VSG on 12/18/17

Hello- I had my VSG on 12/18/17- surgical wt 218- current weight 195. I stalled for 2 weeks and I thought I was going to lose my mind! I thought "oh my gosh what if I did all this for nothing"! I read through the post every day- even more so when I wasn't losing. I wanted to binge out but, every post I read about stalling said " trust the process"- if your doing what your supposed to the scale will move. So after 2 weeks of losing nothing- I jumped on the scale and there it was a 3.5 pound lost. I believe like many others our bodies have to catch up sometimes. Most of all I glad I'm losing- I never would have lost 31 pounds prior to this procedure-I have started to remind my self of this daily! Your going great!

ShirlAus
on 2/5/18 11:30 am
VSG on 06/26/17

Hey

Im a little over 6 months out and have lost over 77lbs. Just like my ticker Im a turtle - slow and steady. Be kind to yourself and let your body adjust to what is a major change.

As the others have said - if you stick to protein forward in your eating etc - it will happen. Be mindful that we all experience stalls at different stages - some last a tiny while others seem to be an age.

I found after my last stall that hopping on the scale daily - often twice a day only made me miserable - so I made a decision to weigh once a week. Its helped a lot. I also see my natropath every 2-3 months to have my measurements done. I think sometimes we are not as aware of the inches melting away as we are too focused on the scale figures.

You are doing great :) Come here to share your successes and frustrations - this is a great board

Shirley

Most Active