Having trouble swallowing surgery was 2-9

Mulliganrach1978
on 2/15/18 4:23 pm
VSG on 02/09/18

Hello everyone I had surgery gastric bypass in Friday Feb. 9...I'm desperately trying to drink...and today first day I was able to eat egg white. I'm struggling weather with food and drinks I swallow and it feels fine till it goes down throat to stomach. I can't explain other then like. Quick jolt of naseuas or pain comes over me. I can not even get one full shake no less three in. I find myself not drink or eating much I have been sucking on surgery free candy when feeling hungry or sick and it helps 100 percent.

Any suggestions....or even how u felt threw your first ten days...I'll hear it all...

Thank u in advance

mmsmom
on 2/16/18 3:07 am - Woburn, MA

Don't worry about getting in the shakes - stay hydrated. Keep a cup of water by your side and drink it - but a small sip at a time....like a sip every few minutes. Sugar free popcicles are a good option - they would dissolve slowly and hydrate. I didn't eat much at first and the thoughts of the shakes made me gag... my doctor allowed my greek yogurt. You'll get through it.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Gwen M.
on 2/16/18 4:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hydration is your number one job right now and you MUST figure out how to do this. Don't worry about anything else until you do. Try experimenting with different liquids and temperatures - cold water, hot tea, warm broth, etc. Figure out what works and get your absolute minimum 40 ounces a day. You should be aiming for 64.

From there, worry about protein shakes and other protein liquids. Don't try food (like eggs****il you're getting your protein and liquid requirements met.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nknerr
on 2/16/18 8:59 am
VBG on 12/07/17

I had the same issues, following my surgery on 12/7. I have esophageal spasms that display the same symptoms. I soldiered on, knowing that it happened especially when I got full. Note that after my surgery, I was told for the shakes only 4 oz during the hour. They you go back to clear fluids. Maybe if you do that, it would help, rather than trying to get through 8-11 oz.

Oh yes, I had a problem with n/v for quite a while. Still have some issues from time to time. The nausea was so bad that they kept me in the hospital for 4 days, because I couldn't keep water down.

The nausea, to this day, happens if I eat/drink more than I should, OR if I try something my body just doesn't "agree" with me eating.

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Tweety135
on 2/16/18 3:35 pm
VSG on 01/23/18

Hang in there...I threw up decaf tea 5 days in because I drank too much at one time, trying desperately to get my liquids. It was awful, but I survived and I switched to mint herbal tea and it seemed to go better. SF MIO liquid helps a bit too b/c then you are getting a taste of something.

Go slow...I'm 3-1/2 weeks out and still a lot of days I have to really work to get even the minimum water my doctor recommends down. I measure it out before I go to bed at night in a big tumbler. I put it by my bed and if I wake in the night or first thing in the morning I start taking sips, I often work all day at it. I know it's hard to be patient, but you will get it!

Most Active