Advice on revision to RNY

Missy30
on 2/25/18 12:17 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I'm almost six years out. Lost about 130 close to goal but never hit my personal goal. By three years out gained almost all the weight back in about 20 pounds under what I was on surgery day. Had a miracle baby three months ago. So now what should I do should I just get back to basics or see about a revision?? With the sleeve I literally was starving myself at the end to try and make goal it was a struggle. I wasn't cheating but just not losing. I have PCOS idk if this played a part in making it hard to lose even with the vsg. Should I look into the RNY or just back to basics?? I mean with all the gain it's like I don't have a sleeve anymore right? Stomach has to be all stretched out again right? Advice?

hollykim
on 2/25/18 5:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 25, 2018 at 8:17 AM Pacific Time, Missy30 wrote:

I'm almost six years out. Lost about 130 close to goal but never hit my personal goal. By three years out gained almost all the weight back in about 20 pounds under what I was on surgery day. Had a miracle baby three months ago. So now what should I do should I just get back to basics or see about a revision?? With the sleeve I literally was starving myself at the end to try and make goal it was a struggle. I wasn't cheating but just not losing. I have PCOS idk if this played a part in making it hard to lose even with the vsg. Should I look into the RNY or just back to basics?? I mean with all the gain it's like I don't have a sleeve anymore right? Stomach has to be all stretched out again right? Advice?

wrong. You still have a sleeve and it likely still works.

You day say you don't cheat so what does a days menu look like for you?

many of us , even after WLS, can't lose if we eat more tha 600-800 cals a day.

Those cals have to be high protein and very low to no carbs. 64+ oz of no calorie liquid, every day.

No wheat products, corn, rice, oatmeal, wraps, pizza, baked goods, alcohol etc.

most weight stoppage or regain is not because of a defective sleeve. It is user error, it is all about what and how much we choose to put in our mouths.

Missy30
on 2/25/18 9:16 am
VSG on 06/27/12

How could I possibly still have a sleeve?? I went from 165 170 to about 300 in my pregnancy and now down to 275. My weight at vsg surgery was 290. Doesn't the stomach stretch? And I meant I didn't cheat when trying to hit goal and never met goal. Over the last couple of years I haven't been eating right and working my sleeve but I thought I don't have a sleeve anymore to work.

hollykim
on 2/25/18 10:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 25, 2018 at 5:16 PM Pacific Time, Missy30 wrote:

How could I possibly still have a sleeve?? I went from 165 170 to about 300 in my pregnancy and now down to 275. My weight at vsg surgery was 290. Doesn't the stomach stretch? And I meant I didn't cheat when trying to hit goal and never met goal. Over the last couple of years I haven't been eating right and working my sleeve but I thought I don't have a sleeve anymore to work.

the best information we have says that a sleeve done properly doesn't stretch because the part that is stretchan

ble is the part that is removed.

It DOES mature and relaxes a bit but is still not stretched out.

You have to have a sleeve still,don't you,because you no longer have a full stomach. It could never stretch back to the original size because there isn't enough tissue to do that anymore.

My best suggestion would be to get an egd to see what kind of shape your sleeve is in. Insurance ,if you are looking to insurance is likely going to require that anywaybefore they will approve a revision.

I know that if I am eating carbs,I can eat unlimited amounts of food,carbs and non carbs and I mean ALot.but my sleeve hasn't stretched and I can eat VERY little of pure dense protein at a sitting,even now at 8 years post op.

You of course ,should do what you need to doabout seeking a revision. Good luck with your decision making.

it is a big decision to make sometimes.

Missy30
on 2/25/18 7:31 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

Thank you I'm going to go back to following the rules stay away from the sliders and see what happens.

White Dove
on 3/1/18 6:54 am - Warren, OH

Your stomach before VSG was about the size of a two-liter bottle of soda. That was reduced down to about the size of a felt-tipped marker. It will stretch to a fatter marker size but never back to the original size. Weight gain after surgery is accomplished by learning to eat slower and more often.

I can not pack in a big meal in one sitting, but if I take my time I can still get it finished.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 2/25/18 7:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

In your heart of hearts, you know that you gave it your very best shot and still lack results, then yes, a revision is a possibility, but I wouldn't recommend RNY. The only reason I would suggest someone to consider a revision to RNY is if they were suffering from GERD.

You're already halfway to a DS with the sleeve stomach. Why on earth would you want to butcher a fully functioning stomach if it's causing no problems? Learn more about the duodenal switch. The sleeve surgery came to be from the DS patients getting their surgery in 2 parts (sleeve first, then switch a year or 100 lbs later) that found they didn't need the second part. Many still need it though, and you may be one of them that needs the extra boost.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cathy H.
on 2/25/18 9:42 am
VSG on 10/31/16

The key to whether or not your sleeve has stretched a little (and they can only stretch a little) is how much can you eat at one time? 4oz, 6oz, 8oz...and by that I mean solid protein and some low carb sides? If you're eating mushy high carb foods like pasta and mashed potatoes, they'll slide through and you may be able to eat a lot more. But if you go back to basics...protein first, low carb, good healthy fats (I'm keto so I don't do low fat but if that works for you then do that). If you are eating healthy diet, chances are you will find out quickly that your tool still works just fine. Your sleeve cannot stretch out to be the size of your old stomach, it's not physically possible. So do some measuring and weighing and tracking and see what's really going on and go from there.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Acedding27
on 2/25/18 12:44 pm
VSG on 12/14/17

My doctor basically said the same thing. I used a surgeon in Oxford, MS that specializes in sleeve surgeries. It's literally the only bariatric surgery that he does, and he has done over a thousand over the past 14 years.

I am only 3 months out, and I have noticed that if I eat incorrectly, I can definitely eat more. OR, if I don't pay attention and stop after 25 minutes or so, I can fit more in. On my birthday, we went out for a celebratory dinner. I ate four bites of my wife's mashed potatoes after my meal to "taste" and I realized that they didn't make me feel any fuller or uncomfortable. Now, I don't taste things unless I'm supposed to eat them or unless it's something very special.

My friend Miranda is four years out, and she's noticed the same thing. She only regained 15 pounds, but she was able to start losing it again when she cut out bread and pasta and went back to mostly high protein, low carb and 64 oz of fluids a day.

My main thought is, if you get the RNY but you don't make the healthy decisions then you're just going to gain it back anyway. It's possible to gain weight after any weight loss surgery, especially after being fully healed. For instance, even at only 3 months out I bet I could eat pizza and ice cream for most of the day and gain tons of weight.

https://www.endobariatric.com/weblog/2018/01/10/can-you-stretch-out-your-gastric-sleeve/

Amanda 12/2016 HW: 393 11/2017 Consult: 378 12/2018 SW: 350

2/2018: 309 3/6/2018: Broke a barrier! 297 4/2018: 286 5/2018: 279

Pre-op: -28 M1: -25 M2: -16 M3: -12 M4: -11 M5: -7

Short-term Goal: 250 by August 15th!

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/18 5:24 am, edited 2/25/18 9:25 pm

First of all congratulations on your miracle baby!!

I am 10 years out this May. I had Gastric Bypass. I maintained a 130 lb weight loss for my first 7 to 8 years. Then with some stress and no****ching what I ate I gained back 40 and have managed to take 25 off with some ups and downs. My first year in 2008 while losing down to 140 -145 I ate under 800 calories or less.... when I gained 40 lbs at 7-8 years out and needed to lose again I cut my calories to 950 to 1100.... if I stick to this religiously I lose. I maintain 145-150 at 5 foot 7 on 1400 to 1500 calories. Less carbs the better, no sugar.

if you are way out of whack and have been eating a lot of calories my oppinion and suggestion is to not cut to 600 to 800 calories but closer to 1000. We are all different however.

get this under you belt for a little while and see if it works. Then if you can add exercise... definitely helps keep you motivated. I love my elliptical and I have a decline bench for sit ups. Looking forward to Spring to add in walking. I think your metabolism stays good this way too.

Good luck to you!

(Edited to correct a typo)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views