Whey Protein Shakes Vs. Casein Protein for Weight Loss

iDeserveThis
on 4/9/18 9:31 am
VSG on 11/12/13

UGH.... gained weight again... it has been 4.5 years since my VSG ..... ALL MY FAULT though because I haven't been trying lately and life just, well, life is life. Have any of you compared Whey Protein Shakes Vs. Casein Protein for Weight Loss? Everything I read has conflicting information. I try to have a Protein Shake first thing in the morning and another small one right before bed. From what I am reading... having the Whey in the morning and then eat REAL food the rest of the day and then the Casein Protein before bed may be the best way to get in both types of Protein and will help me sleep better as well. Anyone doing this? Thanks all!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/9/18 11:07 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I try the get all my protein through food. I find that it stays with me and satisfies me longer.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Bufflehead
on 4/9/18 11:21 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Same . . . grilled chicken breast is where it's at.

hollykim
on 4/9/18 11:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 9, 2018 at 4:31 PM Pacific Time, iDeserveThis wrote:

UGH.... gained weight again... it has been 4.5 years since my VSG ..... ALL MY FAULT though because I haven't been trying lately and life just, well, life is life. Have any of you compared Whey Protein Shakes Vs. Casein Protein for Weight Loss? Everything I read has conflicting information. I try to have a Protein Shake first thing in the morning and another small one right before bed. From what I am reading... having the Whey in the morning and then eat REAL food the rest of the day and then the Casein Protein before bed may be the best way to get in both types of Protein and will help me sleep better as well. Anyone doing this? Thanks all!

to lose regain, I suggest dropping the shakes, eating dense protein, meT, chicken,fish, eggs, cheese.

Meat very little non carbs vegs.

Meat no sweet potato, rice, quinoa,alcohol, white flour product or any things made with whole wheat or white flour.

Dronk 64+ oz of no calorie liquid every day, no excuses.

You will lose your regain.

White Dove
on 4/9/18 1:12 pm - Warren, OH

Protein shakes make it easier to get calories in. They will not help you lose weight, no matter what the advertisements say.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 4/9/18 3:59 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Unless you have some sort of ussue with one or the other, there us no real difference between whey and casein for weight loss.

But I'm with the others. You'll do better with dense protein as opposed to drinking it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CC C.
on 4/9/18 4:39 pm

Agreed with the above! The reason we hear so much about shakes is that they are the easiest way for new-wls patients freshly out of surgery with very tight restriction to get protein in. At 4.5 years, better to go for dense protein like chicken or fish.

B. Jones
on 4/10/18 7:16 am

I agree with everyone here basically. Best to get your protein through real food at this stage in the game. But nothing wrong with supplementing with the shakes to hit your protein goals. Both Bariatric surgeons I know never had a problem with us drinking shakes or eating protein bars. They certainly wanted us to eat properly and encouraged it, but understood life is life sometimes. We don't plan every minute of our lives, if you want/need to drink shakes to hit your protein goals. Drink Shakes!

I do 2 Premier Protein shakes a day and mix it up with the Atkins a little bit. I'm trying to get 120-150 grams a day right now. Been losing 3-5 lbs a week for a month now. I'm struggling with losing the regain of almost 90 lbs, so I feel your pain. I read up again on the different proteins and decided for myself (I was overthinking it) not that you are, you do what's best for you. I'm just keeping it simple, I work nights, gotta start mowing lawns again, helping to care for a elderly parent here quick. My own GP said I'm closer to 64 than 46 last time I saw him. If I don't lose another 100 lbs, I'll be joining my folks in assisted living here soon.

Good luck,

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/10/18 8:00 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Type of protein doesn't matter for weight loss-- ultimately it's calories in vs. calories out.

In terms of protein absorption potential, whey protein is better than casein. (Science info can be found here; see Table 1.) Our bodies use whey protein more efficiently, so you're getting more benefit from it. There is zero reason to try to get both types in.

If you're worried about sleep, you actually should AVOID the protein before you go to bed. (See slide 10 here.)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active