Need advice

Harpediem
on 4/18/18 9:05 am

Had VSG 4 weeks ago and I threw up this morning. I had just taken my vitamin, opening the capsule and mixing it with applesauce. Until today I mixed it with yogurt. It was an ounce and a couple hours after my protien shake. As soon as I finished it I felt really nauseous and a threw up 3-4 ounces. (I'd taken a couple swigs of water to wa**** down as the taste was hideous). Still feeling a little shakey.

I didn't expect this this far out. I want to keep hydrating but it I'm afraid I'll keep throwing up. Anyone else have this problem?

Pauline

mmsmom
on 4/18/18 9:19 am - Woburn, MA

Even before VSG, I found that vitamins on an empty stomach will make you sick. Also they absorb better with food. Maybe the applesauce was not a good vehicle. Also when I get shaky, it's lack of protein and too much carbs. The applesauce may have done that to you. Stick to the yogurt.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Renren
on 4/18/18 9:19 am
VSG on 12/02/15

In the beginning I had to take tiny, tiny sips of water. If I took a regular sized gulp I would throw up every time. And weird you mentioned yogurt, because it took me a long time before I could swallow yogurt without getting sick. My stomach just didn't like it. This reaction stopped before I even realized it and now I can eat just about anything. It gets better.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

CC C.
on 4/18/18 9:20 am

At 4 weeks I could start taking whole pills. Maybe the combo of the noxious taste combined with the quick flush of water triggered the vomiting?

Melody P.
on 4/18/18 10:03 am - Amarillo, TX

I had lean ground beef for the first time since surgery. I was handling ground chicken and fish like salmon and tilapia very well. The beef made me throw up and I am 5 weeks out. Since the day after surgery i've done it twice now.

Our new stomachs are wishy washy. I have to take a little something with my vitamins to make sure they don't upset my stomach.

Harpediem
on 4/18/18 10:18 am

Thanks. I'm feeling better now. Back to yogurt with the vitamins. I have a call in nnthe NP and will ask if it's ok to start taking the whole capsule now. I hope so. It's nasty stuff.

Mom on to soft food in a couple days. I can hardly wait to have a soft boiled egg for breakfast.

mmsmom
on 4/18/18 10:24 am - Woburn, MA

Some people have a hard time with eggs. I didn't but strangely had a hard time with soft fish - but could eat pork chops. There is no telling what will settle and what won't - just start slow and chew...and enjoy your egg!

VSG on 04/28/2014

catwoman7
on 4/18/18 3:04 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm RNY, not VSG, but some pills I was taking whole as soon as I got out of the hospital. Others I had to wait two or three weeks on. But at four weeks out, I was taking them all whole.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

PookyS
on 4/18/18 5:09 pm

My bariatric program recommends chewable vitamins during the healing process. They even worked with a manufacturer to provide different flavors and meet all the nutritional needs of their patients. They taste good and never caused me or any of my friends nausea. Maybe you can go online and investigate this. I hope you feel better soon!

AnnieG522
on 4/24/18 8:13 am
VSG on 10/05/17

I had the same issues and went to the "gummy" vitamins after being sure it met all the criterion for bariatric, plus a chewable biotin because my hair is apparently "rebooting"!

Hope you are feeling better.

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views