New: Upcoming surgery <5 weeks away.

DescendTheStair
on 5/23/18 7:59 pm - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

Good evening! I'm really new here, though bariatric surgery has been something on my mind for roughly 10 years, now. I think the final kick came today. For the last six years or so, I've REALLY struggled, more than I ever have in the past. I've somehow managed to balloon up near 290 at only 5'4" even with watching what I eat and trying (trying) to get to the gym about 2 times a week. I got a new job...which requires me to work from home and that's really been a big part of everything, I think. I used to work full time on a hospital floor and the change in activity level has really just...made things worse.

Anyhow, I got a bit off the topic...the real push for me came today. I've been borderline diabetic for about a year, taking metformin with regular stability in my A1C levels where I was NEAR the edge but not quite falling off of it yet. I had my three month follow up earlier this month, and was called by the nurse today, who told me I was exactly 0.1 points away from being labeled diabetic, and my cholesterol was through the roof. I'm only 32 years old, and am on twelve different medications. Some awful ****tail of metformin, anti depressants, anti anxiety, statins, anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers for lower back pain, asthma medications, and insomnia meds. I'm not myself anymore, and I don't know when it happened or how it got so bad. That call really slapped reality in my face, and I made a call to the surgeon I've been reading about for the last year or so. They were able to get me in today for a consultation, and I knew I made the right decision.

I'm nervous, afraid, worried. I have every worst case scenario playing out in my head, but if the alternative is diabetes and CAD at 32 and a possible early grave 10-15 years later, I think VSG is the better option.

With that said, I have a tentative surgery date for June 25th. My insurance does not cover this procedure, unfortunately. Here in Louisiana, you think they would...considering the rate of obesity in this state. But, what can you do.

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/18 6:40 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Welcome to the site. I was scared at first too and played all the worst case scenarios in my head. Funny enough, my worst case scenarios were simply "what if I fail this like I've failed every other attempt to lose weight?" not that there could be something that went wrong during surgery! It really is a much more common surgery and if you really want peace of mind just do a bit of research on your surgeon, see how many times he's done the procedure and look up reviews :) There's a lot of good information here on obesity help and you would benefit from reading through it and even taking part in the meal threads to be accountable for what you eat even before surgery. Also could give you some ideas of how some people are eating well after surgery.

DescendTheStair
on 5/24/18 8:29 am - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

The "What if I fail this too" has definitely replayed in my head, but there's also the "What if I die" even though I know the procedure has become pretty common, and know the risk factors, etc. I've thoroughly researched my surgeon on and off for about 6 months, and went with him because he's done some ridiculous (I think it's around 35,000) amount of surgeries with years of experience. I went and asked him the typical "So how many complicates/what complications/how did you manage those complications" questions along with the "What if this happens" and was very satisfied with his answers. I was glad to meet him after learning so much about him previously, and happy that he's the type of professional I was truly hoping he'd be. Definitely not a disappointment. Another bonus was he offers the surgery at the facility I used to work at, so, not only am I comfortable with him...I'm also comfortable and familiar with the facility, their staff, and their management which eases a lot of stress. I think it's all just a case of the nerves. This is a big step and I'm both excited and just...scared, but I think it's okay to be a little afraid.

I've been stalking the forums for a few months ago (think I joined back in January) and there is a good amount of information, and most importantly, support. Thank you for your reply. I'll definitely check out some of the meal threads and try to take part in the forums more in general. I think it would be good for me. :)

36 year old single mom of an awesome geeky teenager

5'3.75" (yes, that extra three-quarter inch is necessary. I'm ALMOST 5'4"!).

June 25th, 2018 VSG with Dr A. Hargroder| HW:291 SW:284 CW:272 GW: 135

January 10th, 2022 Revision to RNY with Dr. M. Reavis| HW: 291 LW: 195 CW: 245 GW: 135

Amateur dragon slayer, fairy hunter, occasional builder of fantastical worlds through words.

SallyCat
on 5/24/18 6:42 am
VSG on 10/17/16

Welcome! Congratulations for taking the steps to improve your health. I wish I had done it at 32. Five weeks is quick. Take this time to learn all you can. And get started today eating protein forward. The menu threads are a good place to figure out your new style of eating.

HW: 375 SW: 282 CW: 167 GW: 159

Gwen M.
on 5/24/18 7:22 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congratulations! Use this month wisely - read everything you can and, if you don't have one already, find a therapist to work with. Surgery is awesome for our stomach, but does nothing for the brain part of the equation.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

DescendTheStair
on 5/24/18 8:31 am - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

I do have a few therapists I have in mind. I agree. I think the most challenging part of this will be the brain part. I think mental health, in general, is too often overlooked and it's so very important.

January 10th, 2022 Revision to RNY with Dr. M. Reavis| HW: 291 LW: 195 CW: 245 GW: 135

Amateur dragon slayer, fairy hunter, occasional builder of fantastical worlds through words.

Gwen M.
on 5/24/18 8:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Regarding your signature - are you a role-player? :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

DescendTheStair
on 5/24/18 8:42 am - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

Occasional roleplayer, and writer as a hobby! I'd like to roleplay more, and hope to find a few local groups. I've lived here a couple years but haven't really gotten out as much as I'd like.

Kristi T.
on 5/24/18 10:01 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Welcome! I love your quote "Single mom of an awesome geeky teenager," so cute. This would also be a good time to start weaning off of carbs, caffeine and carbonated beverages. I do not do well with weaning off of things, so I just went cold turkey a month before my surgery:-) Definitely join us over at the "Watcha Eating VSGers?" and call one of the therapists on your list. You have made a wonderful step towards better health, I wish I had done it at 32 instead of 49!

Most Active