WL Expectations and GERD

Vampy
on 6/1/18 12:59 pm

Hey all! FYI, pre-op + 27yo

Sort of cross-posting from the general forums, but I think I have gotten enough input on the first half of the other post. And, I had two questions that are somewhat more directed at the VSG community anyhow, haha!

1) I am currently ~348/349. My GW is anywhere from 140-160. I was wondering if anyone had achieved that kind of success with a VSG or if I should be looking at a higher GW or a different surgery for the numbers I'm hoping for.

2) Did anyone do a VSG despite having GERD beforehand? What were the results? Did your condition get worse/better? Did you end up having to do a revision?

I really don't want to have to do a revision if it can be helped, but I do have GERD. I also have heard tell that for the kind of overall loss I'm looking for that the VSG might not be enough.

Thoughts?

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/1/18 1:04 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had minor GERD but also had a hiatal hernia which was corrected at the time of surgery. My surgeon was willing to do either RNY or VSG, but I felt more comfortable with VSG. I haven't had any GERD since surgery 26 months ago. But that doesn't mean 100% that it won't happen in the future. Just not so far.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Vampy
on 6/1/18 1:28 pm

Good to know. Mine is not really severe either. Thanks

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/18 1:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

RNY and VSG have very similar outcomes in terms of weight loss. I don't have the exact statistics at hand, but VSG patients may take a little bit longer to reach goal than RNY, but it's absolutely possible to get there. It all depends on how closely you follow your dietary guidelines (which are the same for both surgeries) during the "honeymoon" phase when your motivation is highest and you have the most restriction.

Regarding your second question, I can't speak to personal experience, but I DID find some research on the topic. According to one study (here):

• 44.5% of patients had GERD before the surgery.
  • Of those, most (84%) continued to have GERD symptoms
  • Only 16% said their GERD got better
  • 9% said their GERD got worse
  • Almost 9% of patients who had no GERD pre-op developed it after VSG
  • Surgical complication rates were higher for VSG patients with pre-op GERD (15 - 16%) versus no GERD (10%)

On the other hand, most of the GERD patients who had RNY saw improvement or stabilization of symptoms (80%).

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Vampy
on 6/1/18 1:51 pm

Good to know. I definitely don't want to be over 200lbs if I can help it. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt lol!

Hmm... that last little tid-bit is quite interesting. I will definitely have to have an in-depth convo about switching. It may be worth it if there is such a high trend of folks who have gotten better with RNY.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/18 4:44 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There are a BUNCH of people here who've started in the 300's, had VSG, and made it to a goal weight of ~150ish (no GERD situations though). It's all about how well you follow the rules and work your tool, so you can absolutely be successful whichever surgery you choose from.

Hopefully your doctor has some good advice for you. Good luck! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Vampy
on 6/2/18 7:04 am

Thank you :D

As you can probably tell I'm excited to get started lol

Shannon S.
on 6/2/18 5:02 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm am definitely not at goal yet, but I've seen several people on social media that have been this weight and who are at goal. I have hope, and you should too!

Of course it's all about us in the end. The VSG will help us tremendously but we have to do our part. The statistics show that most will only lose about aproximately 50-60% of their excess weight. This means if you want the 100% you have to put the work in.

As far as GERD, I didnt have an official diagnosis but I took prilosec daily for a couple of years. I wheened myself off about a year before surgery, and then took tums here and there. My diet improved greatly at this time so i beleive this helped. Since my surgery it seems improved actually. I'm off of my PPI. I take tums 1-2 times per week. I try very carefully not to overeat because this seems to help. Unfortunately I like some spicy things so sometimes the tums are necessary until I decide to give the spicy stuff up.

Here is what I know about GERD and VSG. It seems there are very mixed beliefs among surgeons. Some allow it, and believe it improves post op. Some say it is contraindicated, stating there are several that develop it post op. You will see folks that have had to have revisions, some that have improved, some with pre-op GERD that have stayed the same as before surgery, and some who develop it 3 years after surgery. You'll get mixed reviews on this subject for sure. To me it seems a gamble. One that I felt was worth taking.

Wishing you the best in your decision making process.

Vampy
on 6/2/18 7:12 am

I definitely want to get as close to the 100% as I can, maybe not what the ins. companies considered 100% (they said an ideal weight for my height is 125??? like... that seems way too small lol. So like 85% probably would be good for me haha). Its encouraging to know that others have achieved great success tho.

My surgeon didn't seem concerned when I brought it up, aside from saying we could revise if necessary. So perhaps he's one that sees it as a minor risk/a worth gamble. I just wanted some input from people who have lived it, rather than just observed it haha

Thanks for the input and your well wishes :)

lbalaw2
on 6/2/18 6:36 am
VSG on 09/19/17

I had GERD prior to surgery and had been on PPI for 10 years. I also had moderate to large sliding hiatal hernia. Dr. fixed my hernia as she did the VSG. Have weaned off PPI for 2 months now. No issues so far. Fingers crossed.

Most Active