Off the High Blood Pressure Meds!

Teresa G.
on 6/12/18 7:47 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I haven't taken my high blood pressure meds (Valsartan and Torsemide) since the morning before my surgery.

I'm monitoring my blood pressure several times a day to make sure that it's not too high ...

IT'S NORMAL!

I'm flummoxed; I had no idea that this would happen so fast.

I love my sleeve!

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

MJSpencer
on 6/12/18 10:51 pm
VSG on 03/29/18

It's amazing isn't it. Mine was borderline high to probably need to have to start taking meds when I had my op. Now normal. Blood sugars were boderline as well. Aching joints no more after being on my feet all day and I'm only half way there.

Best thing I have ever done. Wish I'd done it 4 years back ehen it was first suggested yo me.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/13/18 7:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Did your doctor tell you to stop taking your blood pressure meds? It's possible that the low blood pressure is completely temporary and caused by the anesthesia, pain meds, or something else immediately related to the surgery, rather than your sleeve.

Going off them suddenly can be a Very Bad Idea. I would suggest letting a doctor make those sorts of big medical decisions.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Teresa G.
on 6/13/18 8:03 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Doctor told me to stop taking them. I was leery, but I did what he told me to.

I would never stop taking any drug without my doc's instruction.

My blood pressure isn't low...it's pretty much the same as it was with the meds.

Teresa (WA State)

Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

B. Jones
on 6/13/18 7:55 am

Good for you:)

I had to go back on mine after a 8 year hiatus cuz of my regain. Last doctor visit told me finish the next 3 months worth then come back in, hopefully I'll be off of them in a month or so. Readings are getting pretty good here lately since I've lost most of my regain.

Amy R.
on 6/13/18 8:16 am

Glad to see this - my high blood pressure went away immediately post op also. Unfortunately my doc wasn't as on top of things as yours seems to be and wouldn't allow me to stop taking my meds. His arbitrary decision cost me many fainting episodes and ultimately much worse.

It's always good to see people that have docs who are attentive to the very individualized needs of post WLS patients.

How are the protein shakes going? Did you find something that works for you?

Teresa G.
on 6/13/18 9:54 am, edited 6/13/18 2:55 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Hi Amy,

I'm still doing a morning shake. It still takes me awhile to get it down but I just persevere until it's gone.

I've got Tropical Dream Syntrac to put in my water and I ordered a couple more. I'm doing good on the water and protein, but my stomach STILL looks like I'm pregnant. It didn't look like this pre-surgery.

I had my husband hide my scale, it was just getting too discouraging. I'll weigh again next Tuesday at my post-op check-up.

Something HAS to start happening, right?

Teresa (WA State)

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/18 12:18 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

It will, don't worry! Honestly, after surgery I didn't weigh AT all until I went back to see my surgeon which was maybe... 3 months? Maybe less, I can't remember now. I mean, part of it was that I didn't have a scale I could weigh on because of my size, so I just had to wait and trust everything was going as planned until I got in there with him again. It will all come off :D and be prepared for the dreaded 3 week stall you see so many posts about. It'll likely come and will pass.

Amy R.
on 6/13/18 3:17 pm

Oh, for sure things will start happening! And when they do they will happen uber-fast! Just keep hanging in. All of the fluids they pump into you at the hospital can mask any weight lost for the first few days. And the gas left over in your body from the surgery can definitely cause distended tummy.

It sounds like you've got the important things covered, and I saw another post where you mention you're able to drink a lot of water which is a HUGE bonus. It will help flush your system out and make sure you don't get dehydrated. For me that was the most important thing early out. I focused on fluids and then looked at the protein shakes and stuff.

As for the scale - mine took a loooonnnggg vacation in a closet. I ended up weighing myself only monthly for a while. I was kind of a slow loser and didn't know back then that somehow it all seems to even out over time. Most months I lost about 10 pounds or so, but that still adds up to 120 pounds lost that first year. It's hard to put that beast away but I'd swear the resulting lower stress level make it worth it.

You're over the surgery hump and almost through that first challenging week. I promise it just gets better from here on out.

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/18 5:50 am

Congratulations!!

I went off my blood pressure medication right after my surgery as well and have had normal blood pressure and cholesterol since! God send!

enjoy your honeymoon! You will be at your goal before you know it.

best

megan

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views