Having a Really Bad Day Today

Teresa G.
on 6/14/18 12:28 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

So a week ago today my stomach was sleeved.

Today is really difficult. I told my husband that I'm having a really rough day, then promptly burst into tears, sobbing about what I've done, I've mutilated myself blah-blah-blah. I'm not quite sure where that all came from. Perhaps because the weight wasn't falling off like it is for another friend who was sleeved the same day...another reason why I had my husband hide the scale.

I'm also having pain around one of my incisions (not red, no fluids, no fever, just some light bruising) and I am still swollen. I'm thinking that that is where they pulled the stomach through, but my mind is saying that I must have sprung a leak on my staple line. Yeah, my mind immediately goes to the worse possible scenario.

A friend of mine suggested it might be because I stopped taking the gabapentin 2 days earlier than what I should have - and this pain started yesterday so she's probably right. I should have taken it for the full 7 days, so this pain is self inflicted.

It's just a really bad day I'm having. I think I need to crawl into bed and pull the comforter over my head until it passes. Thank God I have an appointment with my therapist tomorrow.

On the bright side...I finally pooped!

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Gwen M.
on 6/14/18 1:06 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

For what it's worth, what you're going through is totally normal. Between anesthesia and hormone dumping... emotions can be intense.

Be kind to yourself. Do what you need to do for self-care. Warn the people you care about that you might be a jerk or unusually emotional. It gets better.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MTBBW
on 6/14/18 1:11 pm
VSG on 04/30/19

Hang in there girl! Remember all of the reading and researching you did before you got this procedure? There were lots of reports of post surgical worries exactly the same as you are going through right now! I know its difficult to be rational during this, but im betting that it is your body adjusting to the hormonal shift that happens. Try to focus on not completely freaking out, and embrace that your body is doing some weird (but normal) things in this post op phase! I know that once I go through it, I am going to most likely have a huge emotional crash right afterwards too.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/14/18 1:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you sprung a leak, you would be in agony as hydrochloric acid leaked throughout your body. If you don't feel like you're going to die, you're probably fine.

Stop comparing yourself to others NOW. Comparison is the thief of joy, especially in the WLS world.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

stacyrg
on 6/14/18 1:18 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Excellent advice!!!

Teresa G.
on 6/14/18 3:15 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

"Comparison is the thief of joy, especially in the WLS world."

Thank you for that.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Jess Says Yes
on 6/14/18 2:11 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

I'm sorry you're having a tough day. The first several weeks post-surgery are an emotional rollercoaster. I recovered at my parents house and I can remember calling my husband around day 6 and sobbing my face off telling him I had made the wrong decision. I knew all about buyer's remorse, but feeling it yourself is a whole different ballgame!

It will pass, and one day you'll feel fully like yourself again, only better! Hang in there.

Jess

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde

Pre-op:-32 M1-26 M2-11 M3-13 M4-10 M5-13 M6-8 M7-12 M8-7 M9-7 M10-0 M11-11

MJSpencer
on 6/14/18 5:05 pm
VSG on 03/29/18

Some great advice given already. Hang in there it is totally normal and it will get better.

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/18 6:10 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

The first few days/weeks can really be stressful. Every time I laid on my side in bed, I was sure I was ripping out my staples. I laid on my back for WEEKS just to make sure. I was convinced every bit of soreness at my incision sites was a budding infection, and I would land in the hospital with peritonitis or worse.

But just like your triumphal poop today (and it is a triumph), this too shall pass. Stay the course, follow your program, and you will do well.

PCBR
on 6/14/18 10:50 pm

I'm a couple of days ahead of you. Similar to what you're describing, A couple of days ago, i found myself sore, missing food, taking tiny f()$&@/ sips of water, covered in an itchy rash (maybe from laying around without a bra more than usual), dealing with oral thrush (DAMNIT!!) and thinking "What grotesque thing have I done! I've dieted my way down to my goal weight at least twice before" I'd read this would probably happen, so that helped.

Today, I turned a corner on my pain. Suddenly, I can bend down to pick things up off the floor, reach up to get things from a shelf, etc. I don't have a full or painless range of motion, but it's night and day. And I know it's legit, because I'm not on any painkillers (they are contraindicated when you use diflucan--thanks again, thrush!). I also was offered way off plan food (they didn't know) and didn't feel too deprived when I had to turn it down.

Anyway, my point is: it's very possible you'll turn a corner any moment. And yeah, you and me might go back to the negative zone---because our hormones are crazy and our lives have changed a lot. Remember that we might be zigzagging, but that doesn't mean we aren't in a forward trajectory.

Most Active