Skin issues getting worse?

Melody P.
on 7/15/18 5:49 pm - Amarillo, TX

I had two patches of psoriasis to begin with. One very small spot that has shrunk and is almost gone. The other is about the size of a salad plate and both are on my mid thighs opposite sides.

I did really well for the past 3 months with it not all getting better but not worse.

Now it feels like all hell has broke lose. I have super itchy skin and think I have a few patches coming up on the outside of my ankles. My skin is very sore on those spots.

I just had blood work done a week and a half ago. All my numbers were nearly perfect the doctor said. The only thing was he said I need to drink just a bit more but not to worry about it. I have been drinking more water and propel some.

Does anyone have any experience with skin issues getting worse post op? I am usually getting 40 carbs or less per day. The only thing I can really think of is that I got the green light for one cup of regular coffee a day. I don't think that'd be the issue but i'm kind of lost at it.

I have prescribed cream and ointment but it's not touching it the past week. Kind of a vent and and hoping someone has some helpful tips.

Gwen M.
on 7/15/18 6:41 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I recommend getting copies of your lab work if you don't already have them. A lot of the times doctors say "things are fine" when they're really high or low within the range, or when they've been trending in a bad direction. It's best to track your own labs so you can be aware of these things sooner than a doctor with many patients might be.

My skin got a lot more dry, but when I ensure I'm getting good fats in my diet, it's a lot better. Two things our skin needs - hydration and fat.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Melody P.
on 7/15/18 6:57 pm - Amarillo, TX
On July 16, 2018 at 1:41 AM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

I recommend getting copies of your lab work if you don't already have them. A lot of the times doctors say "things are fine" when they're really high or low within the range, or when they've been trending in a bad direction. It's best to track your own labs so you can be aware of these things sooner than a doctor with many patients might be.

My skin got a lot more dry, but when I ensure I'm getting good fats in my diet, it's a lot better. Two things our skin needs - hydration and fat.

It might be the fat. I'm trying to get more of the good fats in but some days it's a struggle! Thanks for the tip!

TheWombat
on 7/16/18 10:42 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I have eczema, and it definitely got worse post-op. My surgery was just a month ago, so I blame it on the physical stress of surgery and recovery, plus the mental stress of learning what foods my new stomach tolerates. I just had my first day back at work, and since I'm not happy with my job at present, I wasn't looking forward to it at all. I almost never get eczema on my face, but two days before starting back to work, my nose and cheeks turned rosy red.

My strategy for dealing with it is to spend more time on relaxing experiences (a nice cup of herbal tea, time with my cats, etc.), and to take my antihistamine more often (normally I take it every 4-5 days, but now I'm taking it every other day). I don't think antihistamines help much with psoriasis, but reducing your stress might help.

TheWombat
on 7/16/18 10:49 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Forgot to add: Are you taking good care of your skin? I'm bathing with a soothing fragrance-free body wash (Aveeno skin relief or similar). My main reason for doing this is that I hope it might promote skin elasticity by not drying out my skin, but it helps with skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. I also have a fragrance-free facial cleanser (Simple Refreshing Facial Wash Gel) that I like because it doesn't dry my skin out.

Also, pat your skin dry, don't rub it.

Most Active