So Freaking Confused

laviecharmee
on 7/15/18 7:07 pm - CA
VSG on 12/16/13

Greetings

It has been some time since I have been here but I am so freaking confused I figured... more information won't hurt! ( i know I am probably suffering from analysis paralysis)

I had VSG in December 2016. I did very well for the first few years but over the last 18 months or so I have gained 40 lbs back. My mom had VSG on 7/11, so I decided I would do the pre-surgical liquid diet with her as a way to get myself back on track. I started on 6/25 and as of today (3 weeks later) I have only lost 8 lbs. I have been doing 3 protein shakes and 60-70 oz of water. I guess I was expecting more of a loss.

I started looking at the Keto diet, which is high fat, medium protein and low carb. Is anyone doing a Keto diet and what macro are you aiming for? I cannot stand avocado, fish or mayo and I am struggling to find high fat/ lower protein foods. I am not at all missing the sweets or high-carb foods (bread, pasta etc) but I am struggling to find something that works and doesn't take a ton of thinking. I am perfectly happy having the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch as those meals usually take place at work. Dinner is usually whatever hubby cooks and if it is not something I think fits my diet, then I do my own thing.

If anyone else has struggled and found a good plan I would love to hear it.

Thanks for listening, (reading)

Kim

~ Kim     Never take away someone's hope, it may be all they have left

(DEC  -19)  (JAN  -16.4)  (FEB  -9.2)  (MAR -13.5)  (APR -4.8)  (MAY -4.6)  (JUN -8)

Cathy H.
on 7/15/18 7:37 pm, edited 7/15/18 12:38 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I've switched to the Keto way of life 15 months ago. I have had no problems sticking to it, but I'm not a picky eater and love avocado, mayo, fish, and pretty much everything else! For weight loss, I aimed for minimum macros of 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs, and no more than 1100 calories per day. I lost best at 75%, 25%, and 5%. I count net carbs, many Keto'ers count total, do whatever works for you. I still maintain 20g net carbs per day, and try to keep my fat at 60% or more for maintenance.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/15/18 8:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

8lb in 3 weeks is absolutely normal and appropriate. You will never see the rapid loss you had in the first weeks after surgery; losing 1 - 2lb per week, slow and steady, is the way to go.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 7/16/18 5:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The regular post-WLS diet seems like it might be a good one. High protein, low carb.

If you aren't already, start measuring and tracking everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal. From there, work on getting back to your basics. Here are mine, yours might be slightly different.

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (protein shake for breakfast is my exception since I've never liked putting solid food in my stomach first thing in the morning)
a. Don't drink with meals or for 30 minutes after eating
6. Weigh portions and track/log what you consume
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
a. Try to eat at a table
b. Eat with utensils
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh yourself daily
a. But focus on the trend of your weight, not the day to day fluctuations
10. Be kind to yourself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PookyS
on 7/17/18 9:14 am

I agree with what Gwen has on her list with a couple of differences. I get too down on myself weighing daily, even with looking at overall trends, so I weigh every 2-3 days. I also noticed that I lose better by breaking up my food into 5 smaller mini-meals than eating 3 meals with no snacks. Ultimately, you'll have to do what works best for you, but I know that the 3 main keys for most of us are high protein/low carb, hydration, and movement. One more thing I've noticed is that I must avoid eating out more than 2-3 times per month. You just can't control how much sodium and additives are in our food without preparing it ourselves and being able to measure and shop for foods in their original state. Personally, I'm extremely sensitive to Frankenfoods and will not lose despite calorie counts being low if the quality is not there.

Travelergirl
on 7/20/18 6:59 am
VSG on 05/26/17

I go back to essentials when I get stuck. Journal all food you eat. Measure out portions. Don't eat out...prep food at home so you control the sodium etc... I find it is easy to start being too generous with portions etc... over time.

How is your activity level? Have you been doing the same thing for a while? Try switching it up. If you have been doing cardio, try focusing on some weights. Or try a new cardio like swimming since it is summer.

And, try intermittent fasting. This is where you get all your food in over a 12 hour (or less) window. So breakfast at 10 am, dinner done by 6pm.

For me, I find three meals a day is best because that is how I feel the restriction of my sleeve (I will have a snack if needed). If I have the small meals throughout the day, I never get that full feeling and I can tend to graze which adds on the calories. The journaling helped me figure that out.

We each have a path. We learn from each other. Let us know how it goes for you

Laura in Texas
on 7/20/18 11:41 am

Thanks for sharing your story! Too many people think the surgery is magic. The struggle is definitely real! Year 3 is when it gets harder for most of us.

8 pounds in 3 weeks is excellent. Keep working at it and you will get back to your goal.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views