Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Thursday, August 9, 2018

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/9/18 5:24 am, edited 8/9/18 5:27 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Good morning! I'm going to try getting us started but I really need to wrack my old brain for good QOTDs. If you have some, go ahead and start the thread on other days or PM them to me please?

This morning it was 80 at 7 am and so humid it was like Aruba where my glasses fogged up as soon as I stepped outside. On the agenda today is cleaning half the downstairs (I did the upstairs yesterday and will finish the downstairs tomorrow). Thank goodness for AC. Mid-day will probably involve water to cool off and I may bring DH to a musical event in the mid-afternoon. Dinner is with friends, one of whom I'll talk about as part of the QOTD today.

QOTD: Are you or someone you know sometimes (or always) a fanatic about something to the point where it isn't always healthy for either yourself or others? So our friend just completed her third cross-country bike trip at the age of 65. Her first trip was cross country west to east on the southern side of the US, the second was south to north on the west coast, and this one was west to east on the northern side of the US. Guess what's next? This last trip was about 10 weeks long and cost somewhere around $15K. She was always an active person but now she never stops. She bikes a minimum of about 30 miles a day even when not on an organized bike trip. She takes another 10+ organized bike trips a year in addition to these big ones. She can't talk about much other than biking and many of the friends she spends the most time with are bikers (surprise, surprise). Her husband does not bike due to back issues. I think he is actually happy when she is gone because she is so nudgy when home that it is exhausting. Of course she is generally in great shape, but she has a knee which needs a partial replacement but she won't stop long enough to do it. The surgeon has said it would be only a small amount of time off a bike, but if she waits she will ultimately need a full knee replacement and will be out for months. Her children and friends worry that if she is ever injured and can't bike that she won't be able to survive it. I guess at minimum she'd have to find another obsession. This extreme activity started after her parents died by the way. It is as if she thinks she will die if she stops.

2 Years, 4 months post-op (maintaining at goal for 20 months)

Always lots of coffee...

B: eggs, cottage cheese and Canadian bacon

L: deli chicken

D: Out to dinner - protein first!

S: Siggis yogurt or homemade cottage cheese with fresh berries

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

mmsmom
on 8/9/18 5:39 am - Woburn, MA

Good morning - my hair went straight to Rosanna Rosannadanna mode this morning, lol. Day full of meetings at work - and then my boss and I won't see each other until Sept 4 due to vacations!

QOTD: My son's gf follows astrology and has healing rocks, etc. I don't know if I'd call her a full-on fanatic, but it strikes me funny since my daughter is the polar opposite. She is a scientist and doesn't buy into any of that stuff. Luckily, they adore each other and respect each other's opinions. I think mostly we are all so happy my son finally picked the "nice girl" that she can believe in whatever she wants!

B: english muffin with peanut butter and sliced banana

L: idk, caf - salad with tuna or turkey?

D: invited to my daughter's for enchilladas :D :D :D

E: getting desparate - parked in the last space in the lot to get some steps

L/V: Good

VSG on 04/28/2014

AnnieG522
on 8/9/18 5:59 am
VSG on 10/05/17

Oh, Liz! Your posts always make me think. I was tempted to start a thread since I am up very early today cleaning (why do I clean before the little grandkids come?). But as a newbie, I have not a clue of a good QOTD that may not have already been used. Sending some to you, however, is do-able.

QOTD: Are you or someone you know sometimes (or always) a fanatic about something to the point where it isn't always healthy for either yourself or others? I think at 66 I have a lot of folks in my life like this! Your particular example is a perfect one. I have a friend and her problem is mental health issues; she is doing well (has been for years) but returns over and over and over to hash out things she (and we) have addressed a bazillion times. If something isn't working for you, STOP DOING IT! But quit telling me about how it doesn't work well over the last 50 years for you, and then complaining. If someone gives you a helpful substitutions or distraction, at least TRY IT for 30 days. Then you have my bessing to whine some more. Now I sound like a dreadful woman!

B: 2 slices lean bacon, 1/4 waffle w marmalade

L: Yogurt & protein drink

Lots of Coffee:

??? Cleaning & organizing as daughters & grands coming, and its school clothes day....

Any suggestions on tasty vegetables?

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

SkinnyNikki7
on 8/9/18 11:17 am - Vineland, NJ
VSG on 08/13/12

How about some roasted-garlic parmesan zucchini, squash, and tomatoes? Yum!

Height = 5'2 Age = 37 Surgery Date = August 13, 2012 HW = 231lbs LW = 131lbs

Regain SW = 209.6 CW = 191.2 Goal Weight = 157.6 lbs

The only way you will see results is if you stay consistent!

PCBR
on 8/9/18 7:08 am

Thanks for starting the thread, Liz! I'll PM you some QOTD--I'm still a newbie, so hopefully I won't send you stuff that has been asked.

Today will be a busy day at work--long to do list and too many meetings. That said, I got a lot done yesterday and feel like I drove business and my projects forward and solved a handful of problems. So I feel like I've used my time at work well this week.

QOTD: I know a person who always is obsessed with something and always has to be busy. I think it might stem from a addictive personality, so it's probably good that they dive in so deep to say--cars--than getting involved in substances. Still, I wish they could slow down a bit and be present with people.

B - PP chocolate shake + splash of skim milk + coffee. I'm so happy that I'm tolerating a bit of coffee in the morning. It gets me going in more ways than one (sorry TMI). The splash of milk and shake neutralize the acidity, so no heartburn or reflux

L - I haven't planned it. I've had leftovers the last week and I'm finally all out! I think I'll pack some chicken and a slice of cheese.

D - Not sure. I might talk the fam into going to the botanical garden tonight. If I do, I'll probably lean on a shake. They have food there, but their menu changes up, so I'm not sure what would be protein forward

S - Skyr

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 8/9/18 10:39 am

4 months post- op

B- Cream of wheat made with half cup 2% milk, small decaf coffee black

L- 3 oz chicken breast, small peach and PP shake

D- Looks like kale salad and smoked turkey breast

S- Single serve Motts applesauce mixed berry and Dannon oikos raspberry flavored Greek yogurt

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/9/18 10:58 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I absolutely don't want to sound like the food police, but cream of wheat doesn't have much nutritional value nor is it usually very filling. I know surgeons suggest it for the beginning when we are healing but once past that it is only adding calories and not much else. I stayed away from that and applesauce while losing weight because neither filled me up. Dense protein works better and provides needed nutrition. I don't eat them now either as I prefer more filling foods to stay on track. Just something to think about..,

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

SkinnyNikki7
on 8/9/18 10:42 am - Vineland, NJ
VSG on 08/13/12

Happy Thursday! Running errands today. My NSV today was I finally fit in a pair of shorts that I haven't been able to button all summer.

QOTD - My dad is really obsessed with vitamins and weird herbal supplements. He reads all kinds of articles and takes like over 100 different vitamins. He refuses to go to a doctor and doesn't even know what taking all the vitamins together will even do for him. Keeps them all in a little suitcase and he just looks nuts when he takes them out. He swears there going to make him live longer and be super healthy and not get sick. He could go on for hours it's very annoying lol. I got to give him credit though for 59 years old he is in good health and goes hiking and is very active. He also almost died trying chia seeds because he didn't let them soak in water and just drank them right away and they swelled in his throat. He just makes me nervous!

B - coffee and protein

L - leftover turkey meatloaf

D - leftover turkey stuffed red pepper

S - Strawberry YQ Yoplait yogurt

E - Arm exercises and 35 min elliptical

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/9/18 11:03 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Wow! I hope your Dad makes sure that none of them conflict.

SkinnyNikki7
on 8/9/18 11:10 am - Vineland, NJ
VSG on 08/13/12

Yeah me too that's one of my major concerns!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 50 views