Why did you chose to have a sleeve or over other types of weight loss surgeries?

VioletFemme
on 8/30/18 9:19 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

I live in Canada and my surgery will be funded by the government. I don't get a choice. They give you a bypass unless they have a medical reason not to, and the you get the sleeve. For those who chose to get a sleeve, why did you get it over other types of surgeries?

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

Cathy H.
on 8/30/18 11:15 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I chose the sleeve because my major issue in not being able to keep weight off was portion control. I knew how to do all the other stuff, eat healthy, etc, and had been successful doing it. But each time I dieted, even if it was very low calorie, I planned my meals around how MUCH I could eat for the allotted calories, and was a huge carb addict. When I stopped eating low calorie, I still ate mountains of food, and the weight piled back on.

So for me, I knew that if I could get the sleeve and ensure that I could only eat small portions, the rest was something I knew I could do and I could make the permanent changes necessary to be successful. I had no interest in the malabsorption of RNY, because I had no intention of eating refined carbs after surgery, and I haven't and don't. My new life does not include bread, pasta, rice, and all those things, and I am very happy with my sleeve and the weight loss it has allowed me to accomplish.

It was the perfect surgery for me, and I'm happy I chose it.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Colonel_Panic
on 8/31/18 7:48 am - Raleigh, NC
VSG on 04/08/19

I haven't had mine yet, but plan to get a sleeve because:

• My main issue is hunger level, and so I like the idea of getting most of my stomach gone to reduce hunger-hormone levels
  • I'm not a carb addict, so shouldn't need help from dumping syndrome
  • Malabsorption seems like overkill in my situation and not having it is one less thing to worry about
  • Less change to the body (I know complications are rare either way, but every little bit helps)
  • It's cheaper (I'm American with insurance, but will need to pay the first $4K plus 20% after that)

Like everything else there's a tradeoff, loss is harder and regain is easier. And my situation isn't everyone's.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/31/18 1:18 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The hunger-ghrelin thing is wildly overstated. I would not count on it, not one bit.

Hunger disappears for most people for the first 9 to 12 months, for all surgeries. Then it comes back for the vast majority, for all surgeries. I really wish people would stop pushing ghrelin reduction as a cure to weight loss and maintenance. I think it does everyone a massive disservice.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/2/18 6:56 am
RNY on 12/31/13

AMEN!!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

82much
on 9/3/18 10:54 am
VSG on 11/28/16

I'm with you on that!

Probably got hunger back 4-6 months after surgery. The mental part is the toughest. Still fighting it after 18 months.

PCBR
on 8/31/18 8:46 am

It was the surgery I was interested in, because it seemed it would address some of my trouble issues (e.g. hunger, portion size, lack of satiation). I also wanted food to be a less important part of my life, which the VSG is helping with (which is not to say I don't have a lot of mind work to do. It's also not to say that RNY or DS don't also help with this). In addition, being slightly a control freak, I did not want malabsorption. Finally, as another poster mentioned: While carbs definitely helped me gain weight, I do not have an intense sweet tooth or carb cravings; Once I detox from simple carbs, I have an okay time staying away from them (as long as I'm being good about getting sufficient protein and other nutrients). Finally, given my history, my highest weight, my health, my lifestyle, and my goals, my surgeon recommended VSG. She has plenty of happy RNY patients, but she liked VSG for me and so did I. I'm early in my VSG (3 months out), but looking ahead I can see that with VSG, you really need to be careful forever. One does for all WLS'. But because many could easily eat simple carbs and sugars without the threat of dumping (although some say dumping can happen with VSG too..I don't really know), it would be possible to get around the sleeve--for instance, if one were to snack a lot.

RNY seems to have its own great set of benefits. Not the least of which is that you probably would lose weight faster, and there are many more years of data on its long term efficacy.

I hope this is okay, but here's a site that I used when researching the different surgeries: https://www.obesitycoverage.com/gastric-bypass-vs-gastric-sleeve-surgery/

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Harpediem
on 8/31/18 9:53 am

I'm in Ontario and got the sleeve, mainly because I didn't want any problems with malabsorption as I'm older. It was no problem getting it. the I told the surgeon what I wanted and he said he wasn't going to give me a surgery I didn't want. It's been a breeze pretty well and it seems like magic watching the pounds disappear.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/31/18 2:59 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I chose the sleeve because I felt that portion control assistance would be the thing I needed most and I was not comfortable with the malabsorption of RNY. My surgeon would have done either. I am happy with my decision. I have no current GERD, but I know that could be a future complication.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Shannon S.
on 8/31/18 6:39 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Less complicated surgery with no or minimal malabsorption. I also wanted slower, healthier weightloss.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views