2 days post op

TripleAxel
on 9/22/18 7:00 am
VSG on 09/20/18

Well, it's my first full day home. Having some problems with nausea. I took a pill that my dr prescribed for that, but it makes me woozy.

Do you more-experienced VSGers have advice as to what time of day to take all the pills/Supplements needed? I have to take two chewable vitamins, prilosec, colase 2x/day, b complex, sublingual b12, vitamin d.

I know this isn't true, but I feel like I'll never feel "normal" again--every tiny sip either feels painful or makes me more nauseated ?

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

TheWombat
on 9/22/18 8:36 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Let me reassure you, you will feel better soon! I suspect that by tomorrow you will see significant improvement.

Are you still on pain meds? I believe it's usually the pain meds that cause the nausea. When they switched me to a patch for pain reduction, the nausea went away. You might discuss the possibility of changing or reducing pain medicine with your surgeon.

I am surprised that you're expected to take vitamins and supplements immediately. I was instructed to wait a week before taking them; one less thing to upset my stomach.

I know you're taking tiny sips, but you might try taking even smaller sips.

PCBR
on 9/22/18 8:53 am

I started vitamins (sublingual or chewable) as soon as I could do full liquids. These surgeons really need to get on the same page! Good point about pain meds. My take Home meds were fine, but in the hospital I had to tell them to switch from morphine in my drip to Tylenol bc every time I tried to sit up, I felt dizzy and sick.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

hollykim
on 9/22/18 1:35 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 22, 2018 at 3:53 PM Pacific Time, PCBR wrote:

I started vitamins (sublingual or chewable) as soon as I could do full liquids. These surgeons really need to get on the same page! Good point about pain meds. My take Home meds were fine, but in the hospital I had to tell them to switch from morphine in my drip to Tylenol bc every time I tried to sit up, I felt dizzy and sick.

surgeons are people, not robots. Why do you think they should "all get on the same page"?

Arent they allowed to have their own opinions about what their patients should do?

PCBR
on 9/22/18 2:40 pm, edited 9/22/18 7:47 am

'kay.

TripleAxel
on 9/22/18 10:32 am
VSG on 09/20/18

I'm only on Tylenol. My pain level is not too bad.

The nausea is a bit better now than it was this morning, so hopefully I'll be able to get more frequent tiny sips in now. If I make the sips any smaller, I'll need an eyedroppper ?

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

TripleAxel
on 9/23/18 10:43 am
VSG on 09/20/18

You were so right. Today is a much better day. No nausea, able to get required fluids/shakes down much more easily, pain is better. Wasn't quite able to get 48 oz or more down yesterday, but will clear that milestone easily today. I tried some nonfat cottage cheese today and it went fine, but OMG 1/4 cup seems like SO MUCH FOOD?

TheWombat
on 9/23/18 10:49 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I'm so glad you're feeling better! Don't worry if you can't eat all the food in your meal plan; you won't starve. Just focus on getting the fluids you need for now, and you'll continue to feel better each day

PCBR
on 9/22/18 8:49 am

I know how you feel. As you've said yourself, normal will return. One day in a couple of months, you're going to take a sip of water and realize, "wow, I can drink like a normal person again". I was so happy when I realized this. I can't chug like I used to be in the habit of doing, but I can drink water steadily.

Okay, so I didn't suffer from much nausea. One thing that would upset my stomach was if I tried to take more than one vitamin or med in close proximity. So my suggestion would be that you space them apart. I'd do B12 in the morning, because I figured that was the energy-giver. I'd also take my PPI in the A.M. the rest I just spaced out. What does your vitamin D look like? I used a sublingual vitamin D3 and a chewable D W/Calcium.

Know you'll hit a stride soon. It's really overwhelming at first, between getting used to your new anatomy, all the new rules, the strange new feelings. It will get easier. At around 2 or 3 months out, I started feeling pretty darn normal. My energy was back and even better just a few weeks out. Your mileage may vary. But I'm confident that if you follow the steps, take it a day at a time, you'll wake up one day and realize you got this.

TripleAxel
on 9/22/18 10:34 am
VSG on 09/20/18

Looking forward to my new normal!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views