post op vertical sleeve- feeling horrible

Karen K.
on 10/9/18 9:04 am - Weymouth, MA

Hi all, I'm an RNY long term grad but I am posting this for my daughter who is one week post op vertical sleeve. She is feeling miserable. Light headed, totally fatigued, no energy, occasional nausea. Is getting all her fluids in and approximately 40 grams of protein in with her shakes/drinks so she knows she's not dehydrated. Part of her post op care is that she has to inject herself twice a day with a blood thinner so I thought maybe that was to blame but she called her surgeon's office and they said this is just normal body adjustment changes. Really? I don't recall any of this and my surgery was more invasive. She felt better the first few days after the surgery than she does now. SHe is also very emotional and that I understand as I am sure there are hormonal changes going on but the general feeling of illness is what concerns me.

Has anyone else gone through this?

hollykim
on 10/9/18 10:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 9, 2018 at 4:04 PM Pacific Time, Karen K. wrote:

Hi all, I'm an RNY long term grad but I am posting this for my daughter who is one week post op vertical sleeve. She is feeling miserable. Light headed, totally fatigued, no energy, occasional nausea. Is getting all her fluids in and approximately 40 grams of protein in with her shakes/drinks so she knows she's not dehydrated. Part of her post op care is that she has to inject herself twice a day with a blood thinner so I thought maybe that was to blame but she called her surgeon's office and they said this is just normal body adjustment changes. Really? I don't recall any of this and my surgery was more invasive. She felt better the first few days after the surgery than she does now. SHe is also very emotional and that I understand as I am sure there are hormonal changes going on but the general feeling of illness is what concerns me.

Has anyone else gone through this?

her surgeons office is correct. This is absolutely normal post op recovery symptoms for most ppl.

You were lucky if you didn't have it, but it is perfectly normal and can continue for up to 6-8 weeks.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/9/18 10:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

This is exactly what my VSG recovery was like. At a few days post-op, I was really sore, exhausted, and a little bit queasy. Some people have a harder recovery than others!

If she starts to run a fever, is unable to keep fluids down, any of her incisions become hot to the touch or start to ooze, then you've got something to worry about. But for now, this sounds fairly normal.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/9/18 12:40 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

More fluids will help. Everyone has different needs. I felt like crap on less than 110 ounces. It may clear up some if her symptoms, and can't hurt.

Is she moving around and walking? Even though she may not feel like it, some walking every hour will help too.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CatLady3401
on 10/9/18 5:01 pm
VSG on 09/26/18

Sounds about like me. Tomorrow will be two weeks out. Sharp pain beneath largest incision, feeling sore and weak throughout my body. Mild nausea at times. Fatigued.

A little better every day on the pain but the fatigue isn't lifting yet.

HW 382, SW 325, GW 165

SD 9/26/2018

pescetarian

Chanelcamp26
on 10/10/18 9:01 am
VSG on 07/24/18

This is absolutely how I felt and unfortunately mine continued for weeks. I was exhausted, fatigued after short walks. Nauseous and dizzy, but never threw up.

I wouldn't say my recovery was hard, just harder than I expected. I thought I would be back to my self right away.

I agree with what others have said. Hydration is key. Rest is important to let the body heal.

I called my bariatric nurse multiple times with questions because I was terrified that something was wrong with me.

If she develops a fever, she should be seen right away. However, all of her symptoms seem quite familiar.

califsleevin
on 10/12/18 11:39 am, edited 10/12/18 8:56 am - CA

I likewise never had any real issues like these post op; I never used the nausea meds that were prescribed, but as they routinely prescribed them, that's an indication that is is not unusual to need them.

While it is fairly normal to be somewhat out of sorts for a while after major surgery, and there can be a fair bit of variation in individual responses, there can also be a dietary component that can show some differences - is there any major difference in her post op dietary regimen relative to yours? I do see a many here talk about experiencing fatigue for weeks or months which I never experienced to any great degree, though many here are big on low carb dieting which can promote lethargy and fatigue (there's a reason why many bariatric programs have things like oatmeal, cream of wheat, applesauce, etc. in their early progressions - they help promote recovery!) Also, some programs have some fairly aggressive pre op fasting diets which, while they may help the surgeon, aren't that great for the recovery phase. These are some points to consider.

Given that she is still probably on a liquid phase, it may be worth trying adding a little watered down fruit juice to her fluids (or the classic banana in the protein shake) to see if that perks things up any - maybe not a popular or trendy solution for some, but it can provide some valuable insight into what is going on with her.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Mamamoyer
on 10/14/18 4:26 pm

I had my surgery Oct 8 and felt the same way. I had no idea I was constipated A lot! I have gone 4 times in last 2 days and feel much better

Valerie G.
on 10/17/18 2:08 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

First of all, her recovery symptoms are normal, but the fatigue/nausea/light-headedness could also be dehydration. 64oz per day is the bare minimum. I get twice that or more each day. She may need more fluids. That being said, it took me 6 weeks before I started feeling like myself again.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kpiper
on 10/20/18 12:56 pm
VSG on 10/01/18

I just had surgery Oct. 1st and have not dond well (I also had my gallbladder removed and esophagal hernia repaired). I just went to ER for dehydration yesterday. Also had low potassium which is par for the course and swelling around one of my incisions but no infection. It has been a hard recovery and everything tastes so bad, even water. I could not stomach the full liquid and have thrown up more days than not. BUT I have to continue to be hopeful, no turning back now :-) I hope this passes soon for her and she is lucky to have your support and experience!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views