Recent Posts

MichealWunsch
on 11/26/23 11:35 pm, edited 11/27/23 11:41 am
Topic: RE: Anyone else have abnormal esophageal motility after sleeve & hernia repair?

It makes sense that you are afraid about your son's health. You might find it helpful to talk to his bariatric surgeon about your worries and questions at the next endoscopy visit bloons tower defense.

ckpointchickie
on 11/19/23 10:41 am - IN
VSG on 11/20/12
Topic: RE: 10 years! Still so happy but reality is this journey never ends.

You are so correct about the alcohol. I originally got down to the 130's at my lowest but I did not look good. i looked like I needed dentures (and food!). I gained once I started eating regular meals (albeit healthy) but maintained at 155-163 for about 9 years. After not being much a drinker throughout my life, I was introduced to moscato about 3 years ago and it was a taste that really appealed to me. I am by no means alcoholic, but drinking alcohol even socially are just calories we do not need. I have gained since then and while I have noticed that since I became a woman of a certain age, I crave carbs and salt, I really believe the wine is just adding insult to those injuries. I wish you and me all the best as we recognize this and hopefully, we both control that unnecessary intake of calories and carbs.

Underconstruction_20

on 11/19/23 3:36 am
VSG on 08/29/19

I can relate and also intend to re-commit to my nutrition and exercise goals. I too have 20 lbs of regain to shed. We can do it!..together ?

kerry B.
on 11/17/23 3:38 pm
VSG on 11/04/13

Thanks!!

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

Shrink Violet
on 11/16/23 12:57 pm

Your plan to get rid of those last pounds sounds great - good luck! And thanks for the update.

acrobaticapplesauce
on 11/15/23 11:22 pm
Topic: RE: what can i eat after vsg -- latte? waffle with pb?

isn't carbs good for u, i mean before i got surgery i was 254 but i lost so much weight i would have protein bar for morning small takis or jalapeño bread or ice cream sandwich or even a quasadilla but i would also workout everyday and i have to say the carbs definitely gave me energy boosts my endorphins and made me want to exercise and ofc for dinner i had protein bar again lol but i got vsg i was just curious how long for waffles i know for a fact i won't gain weight from waffles considering i am a gym fan lol

Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 11/14/23 7:34 am
Topic: Bubbling Stomach | Questions & Answers | Endobariatric | Dr. A

Good morning,

Don't forget to check out the latest video of our Q&A Section on YouTube.

You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/5rXZwyFgTb8?si=O-mL0N-lowzRiPNi

Regards

Dr. Alvarez

TimDonsei
on 11/13/23 8:27 am
Topic: RE: Mental health with VSG

First off, big hugs to you for being so open about your feelings. It's completely normal to feel a mix of emotions before surgery, especially with all the unknowns. Your doc's right about prioritizing mental health--smart move! The fear is legit, but don't forget, your feelings are valid, and reaching out for therapy is a fantastic step. It's okay to be a bit scared; change is hard. You're not psyching yourself out--just prepping for a big shift. And remember, you're not alone in this journey. Check out MentalHealth.com for some awesome resources and support.

mike_ms
on 11/12/23 3:40 pm, edited 11/14/23 3:55 am
Topic: RE: The #AskDrA Show | Episode 178 | Vaping and Surgery, Gallbladder & Boarding a Plane

When I went through my weight loss surgery, my doc gave me similar advice. I'm firmly on the side of believing it's best to quit vaping at least a week before any surgery. Here's my thinking: it gives your body a break and a better chance to prep for the stress of surgery. Plus, post-surgery, your body's like in this intense healing mode, right? So, waiting for about 2-3 weeks before picking up vaping again seems sensible to me.
Regarding the vaping products themselves, it's crucial to be selective. Dr. Anderson emphasizes the importance of choosing sterile and less harmful options. He often points to Moti Play Bar as a good choice. I tried it and was impressed with the overall quality. The design is sleek, and the taste is refined without being overpowering. It strikes the right balance, especially if you're mindful about what you're inhaling.

read this FREE EBOOK about carb cycling and it helped me lose weight.

kerry B.
on 11/12/23 12:20 pm
VSG on 11/04/13
Topic: 10 years! Still so happy but reality is this journey never ends.

I honestly don't remember the last time I logged in here and it took a bit to get into my account but I felt it was important to post an update. I remember how much it meant to read about others' progress through the years. So I'lll try to be as honest as I can about my journey.

I had a vertical sleeve on November 4, 2013. I started at 317 on the day of surgery (my high weight was maybe 20 pounds higher but lost that in the excitement leading up to my surgery). It took 9 months to reach my goal of 190 and another 3 months to reach my lowest weight of 158. That was a bit too low and I settled around 163-165 for about 5 years. In the subsequent 3 years I gradually gained up to 195 and have been here +/- 7 pounds for the past 2 years.

I was consistently active for the first 6 years (yoga 3 x week, running 2 x week, hiking alost every week). There were breaks in activity following my tummy tuck/breast lift and augmentation in 2017 but I got back on track pretty quickly. Then in late 2018 I had a hysterectomy for a massive fibroma and took a bit longer to get back to my routine. The real fall off was when I started dealing with spinal issues and couldn't do yoga anymore. I even hired a private yoga instructor for a few months to try to keep it up in a way I could handle but then there was Covid. I was lucky enough to work every single day throughout Covid but I allowed myself to fall into a very sedentary life at home and that is when I worked my way up to where I am now. I was so proud of how dedicated I had been and tried very hard not to allow myself to feel like a victim of my spinal issues but I failed to keep myself motivated. I am well aware this is of my own doing.

As far as food is concerned my restriction is still very good. I don't feel I can eat much more than I did by the end of year one. But I'm not an idiot. I know I can eat more if I just wait a little bit so eating by the clock and not wavering is probably the best plan for me moving forward. I can eat anything and I do. I go through periods of being very strict about carbs and focusing on protein and vegetables but I have plenty of breaks where I eat anything and everything and pay the price on the scale.

The most glaring reality of my regain and inability to get back on track is alcohol. The moment you want to start gaining weight and stop losing or maintaining weight, just start drinking. I don't recommend it. It has been the most difficult thing to manage. I can easily stop drinking for long periods of time but eventually I'll start up again. I don't really drink alone or for no reason at all but it's just such a social thing for me. I will continue to try to manage this but I am also trying to be realistic.

VSG is still the most important and amazing thing I have ever done for myself and I am still happy with all I have accomplished. I came here today to talk about my life 10 years after surgery but also in an attempt to take the first real step in making a new goal that I can work toward.

My goal is 175 pounds (20 pounds) but I also want to be strong again. At my fittest I had the type of muscle definition I had dreamed of and my core strength was amazing. My goal now is to be "fit" in that I am active at least 4 days a week, have a bit of definition, and fit back into all those lovely clothes I bought. I don't think that is an unreasonable goal and I think 6 months is a reasonable amount of time. We'll see.

Thank you if you made it through my rambling post as I didn't have a plan when I started typing except to just type.

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

Most Active