Looking for Info....
NikkiL2015 · 3 replies · 108 views
What makes this different?
Redsam82 · 4 replies · 152 views

happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 6/30/15 6:26 pm
Topic: RE: carbs

Plans really vary on this. Many on the board shoot to stay under 40. I (hypoglycemic) go 100 net carbs or so at the moment.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  Carb eating loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  9 MO: -5 with slight regain from the original -10   MO 10: -8  MO 11: +1  MO 12: -1.4  Mo 13-14: 0  Mo 15:-10 (meds side effect) Month 27: maintenance so far so good!  BMI 24  CW: 188  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost 

happyteacher
on 6/30/15 6:25 pm
Topic: RE: Stevia or sugar subsitutes

I use Stevia- but an very VERY particular about the brand. Many versions out there blend a bunch of crap in with the Stevia. The version I use is 100% Stevia, no fake crap given Stevia is plant derived. Kairk is correct in that it can be bitter, however, if it is bitter that is an indicator that you used too much... at least of the brand I recommend. I use less than 1/16 of a teaspoon in coffee. This stuff appears pricey, but the bag last for months due to using such a tiny amount in a cup of coffee. Give it a whirl! Stevia by Nature's Candy

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  9 MO: -5 with slight regain from the original -10   MO 10: -8  MO 11: +1  MO 12: -1.4  Mo 13-14: 0  Mo 15:-10 (meds side effect) Month 27: maintenance so far so good!  BMI 24  CW: 188  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost 

happyteacher
on 6/30/15 8:21 am
Topic: RE: Hello - newby here!

Welcome aboard!

happyteacher
on 6/30/15 8:19 am
Topic: RE: Need some guidence

Oh, and stay away from processed food. Eat from the perimeter of the grocery store- fresh produce, fresh protein type stuff. Pretzels do nothing for you nutritionally, but do spike your insulin levels and trigger cravings. Research the glycemic index and select foods low on this list :)

happyteacher
on 6/30/15 8:17 am
Topic: RE: Need some guidence

I say this with a very gentle tone- but you REALLY need to weigh and measure. I think there is a terrific chance you are eating more calories than you think. For example, you indicated you keep your carbs under 50, yet eat pretzels... those two details do not mesh. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you must be low carb or anything, but rather what you think you are eating and what you are actually eating could easily be the culprit. It is woth the time to measure, weigh, and track. Hunger can be triggered by carb cravings or acid. If you have not tried an acid reducer it may be worth a shot if appropriate for your situation. You calories overall are also a bit high. I am 6'2'' and started under 800 cals in month one and did not hit that calorie level until about the 5th month if I recall- and I exercised vigorously for a minimum of an hour a day 6 days a week. 

happyteacher
on 6/30/15 8:00 am, edited 6/30/15 8:02 am
Topic: RE: Why does insurance require physician supervised diet ?
On June 30, 2015 at 7:32 AM Pacific Time, yesican2 wrote:

Hi, this is my first post to this forum.  I've been lurking for a week or 2.

I have had orientation for the Sleeve and have my initial consult with the surgeon tomorrow.  Psych and nutrition not until Sept 28th.  Hopefully surgery in November.

So, I am on month 4 of my required physician supervised diet and I have lost 3 pounds.  Admittedly I am not doing as well as I could.  I know what I'm supposed to do and I know what I'm not doing, but I am having a hard time summoning the motivation.  I know I should be using this time to learn different habits but it seems like such a Catch-22: if I had been able to change my habits, I wouldn't need surgery in the first place.

I am not one of those people who have lost 100+ pounds several times over but gain it back.  I've never been able to lose more than 20-25 pounds at a time.

I will say that I have been doing well at most meals, as far as no bread/rice/potatoes, nothing fried etc.  But my issue is sweets, especially frappucinos and the like.  I did journal my foods for about a week and aimed to stay around 100-120 carbs a day (which I know is higher than I need to be) but nowhere near where my PCP wants me to be (under 50).  Its amazing how many carbs a serving bread has so I only eat protein for meals; yet I'll spend 60+ carbs on a coffee drink that is gone in 30 minutes.

I'm frustrated with myself and deep down I'm so worried I am going to fail this surgery.  I feel like the restriction is what I need, as I definitely overeat.  Having consequences to doing that is what I need.  But I know that it is just as much about the kinds of food you eat post op as the quantity. 

I know everyone has challenges in their life that make it harder--mine is that my husband is going through the process as well, but has made zero efforts at changing his habits.  He is a total carb addict.  I know only I am in control of what I put in my mouth, but it does make it harder.

So I have a couple questions and am interested in hearing of your experiences.

1. Why does insurance require this diet and what are they looking for?  Like I said earlier in my post, if I could lose the weight, I wouldn't need the surgery, so what is the point from their view? 

2. Any former carb addicts out there who could never lose more than 10-20 pounds at a time and ended up falling off the wagon after just a couple months?  How did you overcome that?

3. Post-op, do your tastes change from wanting carbs to not wanting them?  This is probably one of those things that is dependent on the person, but I'm hoping this might change the horrible food cravings I have.

I am going to try to get in with the psych who works with my surgeon to actually start therapy now, or at least get some referrals from him.  My goal is to get that sorted out this week.

My PCP is against the surgery and gave me a butt kicking last month when I gained back 2 of the 5 pounds I lost initially.  But I needed the butt kicking and it motivated me for a week.  Then there were two potlucks that weekend with pretty much all carby stuff and I have been off the rails since.  I see him again in a week and am not looking forward to it.

I know what is working against me the most and that is self-sabotage and not believing in myself.  Growing up, my mom was convinced the end of the world was imminent.  I was scared all the time and never followed through on anything and didn't achieve anything because I thought the end of the world was near, so nothing mattered.  Even today, I can't shake that inability of planning anything for the future, because I can't picture it.  I can't picture getting approved for the surgery, so I'm not getting serious about it.

I know above all, I need to get into therapy, but I would really like to hear from anyone who may have had a similar experience.

Thank you so much and thanks for reading,

Becky

Wow, for a new poster you ask terrific questions! Welcome aboard!  Here are my best answers, but please do not confuse this with it being the "right answers". Mostly they are my opinions and sharing what worked for me type thing. 

1, My guess on this question is that they do not want someone just running in without working on changing habits or making an impulsive decision. Additionally, a supervised doctor diet does work for some- my mother-in-law lost half her body weight once via this route and a gazillion failed previous diets. She put it back on though throughout the years. Or, it could just be to make it harder to get the surgery and then they don't have to pay out. This doesn't make sense IMHO though because morbidly obese folks tend to run up medical bills long term, versus getting healthier from the surgery.

2.Wish I could say I was a former carb addict. Pre surgery the longest I could ever hold out was 2 months, but usually a month or so. I would always end up putting it all back on and then some. The surgery levels the playing field in a manner that is hard to describe, but you will recognize it once you have the procedure. You eat less. You crave healthier foods due to the mandated 6 weeks or so of restricted diet to heal your stomach, and in general it just resets your system to provide a much easier pathway to healthy eating.

3. Yes and no. I did a great job being super low carb in the first month or so. It caused havoc though due to being hypoglycemia. During this period by the end of 6 weeks or so I can legit say I never craved sweets/carbs... something completly foreign to me. I was able to sustain the low carb thing long enough to not only detox, but change the palate. I had to add carbs back in. I did just fine if it was the "right" type of carbs (green leafy veggies, food low on the glycemic index) but completly started dealing with carb cravings again after adding in crap carbs (processed white stuff- sugar, white flour, etc.) Even now I swing up and down with carb issues. If I start to eat crap carbs it is a slow but highly predicatable slide... at first just a little here and there and it ramps up until I am putting weight on and the majority of the calories from the day are coming from that. Oh, and of course I feel like complete **** when I do it too. When I get as strict as I can with carbs by the 3rd or 4th day or so the cravings are well managed and it becomes far easier to make better choices. 

You recognize the need for therapy- go after it. Be it in the form of a counselor, weight loss support group, whatever. I had the opposite problem as you- I could only see what the future path led to and struggle being more in the moment and mindful. Both have their pitfalls and assets. I highly recommend you start wieghing/logging every bite of your  food on something like myfitnesspal.com. Even if you don't lose anything, you will start to have a clear picture of what your eating habits are so you will be better able to adjust.

I never, ever thought prior to surgery I would make it to a normal bmi. I was diagnosed with cancer and my health was falling apart- I was hoping only to lose enough to be able to move around a little better. What you are feeling "others make it to goal, but how could that possibly be me?" type issues is very typical to experience pre-op. It doesn't mean you won't do well.

My husband and I were both morbidly obese, and this forum actually is what helped me to recognize just how codependent we were- we were both guilty of encouraging the overeating. We finally sat down and agreed on some verbage that we could say to one another and it was established that when we said it, by no means were we trying to hurt feelings and such... just acknowledge that whatever the other was doing was making it terrible hard to eat better choices. It worked brilliantly for quite a while. He also ended up going on the diet with me a couple days post op out of fear I would eat something that would kill me (entirely possible- I was really struggling). He ended up losing more faster and took off a little over 100 pounds. He has since gained back 30. We are both back in that codependent mode, so I just realized I need to sit down and reestablish this again for both our sakes. 

Sorry for the long reply- but know I started out in a very similar position as you and made it to goal, and stayed there a few years out thus far.

happyteacher
on 6/29/15 12:16 pm
Topic: RE: Protien drinks

My favorite is Chike blended with almond milk *unsweetened/30 cals and a little ice. My go to protein drink is premier protein rtd or eas carbadvantage, both at Sams or Costco. 

happyteacher
on 6/29/15 12:14 pm
Topic: RE: Hemp Hearts (seeds)

Never thought to eat it like a cereal! I will have to try this. I have a energy bar mix that I use that has hemp seed, chia seed, flax seed... makes me wonder if I can eat it like a cereal and avoid making the energy bars, which entails using a half cup of agave or honey. Hmmm... 

I have read that the hemp is a metabolism booster. Not sure what to think about the ciam, but montior your intake to see if you can tell if you coincidentally hit a period where your body was ready to lose some weight versus the hemp seed helping. Be sure to measure too- those puppies pack a lot of dense calories and for the newbies out there- this is NOT a good choice newly sleeved!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The seeds can get in the surgical stich/staple line and cause all kinds of horror. 

happyteacher
on 6/28/15 2:34 pm
Topic: RE: Am I Too Old

Here is a slightly different perspective- I decided to do this after my cancer diagnosis. I decided that a couple months of recovery time was worth even a few months of healthier living. Go for it. You will recover from it fairly quickly and can dramatically improve your health- in less than a year and leaving you lots of time to enjoy that health!

happyteacher
on 6/27/15 8:53 am
Topic: RE: Goal Reached

Congratulations!!

happyteacher
on 6/21/15 9:44 am
Topic: RE: Hemp seed blend for energy bars, nutritional health & drug testing thoughts?

I was at Eastern market this weekend and found a lady selling Lady Jane Galaxseed energy bar mix. You dump the bag of mix, add 1/2 cup sweetner of choice (agave, honey, maple syrup, etc.), press into a pan, cut into bars, refrigerate and done. What caught my attention was the nutrition profile and my recent interest in reading up on the benefits (medicinally speaking- seriously, not a ploy to smoke pot) of marijuana. I would never consider smoking pot, so I asked her if in anyway this product would cause one to fail a drug test- she said no, given there is no THC in the product. I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, so I am asking for peoples thoughts. This is not exactly weight loss friendly phase stuff, so please consider that I am in maintenance.

The mix is a blend of hemp seeds, raw sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, and sea salt. It is fairly tasty once prepared, but I wouldn't say that one bar is filling/satiating. Hence, easy snack I suppose but not a meal replacement. It also does not hit my general goal of 1 gram protein to 10 grams of calorie- but I will let that slide given the other potential nutritional benefits. What do you think- snake oil as far as being nutritionally sound and good for health? Can anyone confirm that there would be no issues with drug testing or the like? 

Nutritional profile of the bars made with agave:

179 cal

22 carb

12 sugar

8 protein

8 fiber

13% iron

23% calcium

2% vitamin e

21% thiamine

10% riboflavin

7% niacin

7% B6

12% folate

18% phophorus

28% magnesium

12% zinc

21% copper

77% manganese

3% potassium

1% sodium

0 cholesterol

6.7 fat- no trans

happyteacher
on 6/20/15 1:47 pm
Topic: RE: Stevia or Truvia?

I had to try A LOT  of different ones until I found something I really liked. Turned out to be Natures Candy Stevia off of Amazon. Love it, and despite the small bag it comes in you use so little it will last for months- and I am a huge coffee drinker along with my girls so lots of use daily!

happyteacher
on 6/19/15 6:25 pm
Topic: RE: Weight Gain After Surgery

It can happen. Water retention, lack of bowel movements, weighing at a different time of day, etc. can cause fluctuations. Just stick to your program and it will work! You lost a whole lot in a week, you body will need time to adjust here and there so no worries!

happyteacher
on 6/14/15 8:52 am
Topic: RE: dumb question for someone 2+ yrs out

Strawberries. Don't get me wrong, peanut butter has some protein and no carb, but it is so calorically dense and with only a bit of protein it totally isn't worth it. 

happyteacher
on 6/13/15 8:26 pm
Topic: RE: Things I've been noticing & questions

Avoid popcorn- it is a total slider food. Especially avoid movie theater popcorn. Smoothies... I guess I am a little confused. You say you cannot have liquid calories, yet are inquiring about smoothies? Don't get me wrong- my tone is very gentle! I make smoothies all of the time myself, so I totally get it. For the mornings... my best days always started with a shake. Can't do a shake, my next go to was adding chocolate protein powder to the morning coffee. Smoothies- I love them, but they made me hungry a little later for some reason. I would use a vanilla protein powder, ice cubes, frozen berries low on the glycemic index,  dannon lite greek yogurt, and crystal light. Green leafy veggies for fiber and I used a product with the brand name of fibergourment- they have cinnamon crackers (sweet) and cheese crackers... 60 calories per bag, 11 grams fiber, 4 grams protein. And really yummy!

happyteacher
on 6/12/15 5:46 pm
Topic: RE: Any post ops have hypoglycemia?

See my post a few above here... I gave a link for a terrific option at Amazon. They may carry it in a local health food store as well. At the very least, check the ingredients of what you might purchase. Far too many have extra crap in it, and for sure it is this if you see the word "blend" in the name. Even without a name indicator, still check- it should just be stevia and nothing else. 

happyteacher
on 6/12/15 7:32 am

I use Stevia, and let me say that not all Stevia is equal. There literally is only one brand that I will buy- and I positively love it! Here is a link for it, and a fantastic price at the moment... I paid $20 for my bag originally. My bag (not sure of ounces so perhaps it is a larger size?) has literally lasted me a couple of months, with months to go... and me and my coffee guzzling daughters use it daily. Only use a tiny amount, or it can get bitter... I keep a 1/8 of a teaspoon measuring spoon in it, and use less than half of that for a mug of coffee. 

happyteacher
on 6/12/15 7:28 am

Agree! Not all sweetners will mess with you, so it may be worth tracking your levels to figure out what works. Also, I took a couple of weeks last summer and religiously documented what I ate, and took readings to really pinpoint what was causing spikes and drops. It was very telling. For example, if I start the morning only with a Premier Protein shake, my blood sugar dropped. Pasta officially wrecks me. I never start the day with anything higher on the glycemic index because it is just a recipe for a really bad day. Small meals/snacks works awesome for me. 

happyteacher
on 6/11/15 5:21 pm
Topic: RE: 3years 7 months out...need help

I wrote a blog post on what back to basics means to me... it goes over the key areas to get back on track. Herei is a link. 

happyteacher
on 6/10/15 11:27 am
Topic: RE: Another surgery.... inflammation decrease diet recommendations?

Thank you!  We have a farm near my work that sells this stuff. It is double the cost, but worth it. 

happyteacher
on 6/10/15 11:26 am

chili- that is one of the best articles I have read on OH. Thank you so much for the post! For those who don't feel like reading the whole thing, this paragraph is a great summary:

What does all this have to do with inflammation? Blood sugar is controlled in a very narrow range. Extra sugar molecules attach to a variety of proteins that in turn injure the blood vessel wall. This repeated injury to the blood vessel wall sets off inflammation. When you spike your blood sugar level several times a day, every day, it is exactly like taking sandpaper to the inside of your delicate blood vessels.

Read more: http://www.disclose.tv/news/World_Renowned_Heart_Surgeon_Spe aks_Out_On_What_Really_Causes_Heart_Disease/113103#ixzz3cgX3 jyA0

happyteacher
on 6/10/15 11:14 am
Topic: RE: Cholesterol Going Up???

I went up too, and I was for sure not putting down high cholesterol diet levels. My bariatric center said they had a pattern of patients who experienced this. Even though my levels are high, my ratios are stellar so no drugs. Hopefully that is similar for you.

happyteacher
on 6/9/15 4:52 pm

Never heard of it- I will look it up. Thank you-

happyteacher
on 6/9/15 4:52 pm

Oh right, forgot about the dairy in the shakes. The protein is critical though, and dropping meat and sticking more to fish won't cut it though. I will switch over at least to blending my own and using almond milk (unsweetened). Thanks for pointing that out- they are just such a habit for me anymore. 

happyteacher
on 6/9/15 12:05 pm

Oh that sucks. No dairy kills me. No meat- ugh, tough to do a higher protein diet. No wheat/grains too. Ok, so it looks like fruit, veggies, fish, and protein shakes for a while! Thanks for the post. If others have suggestiosn please continue... I have poked around online, but if someone out there tried something and found that it actually worked I would be very interested!