happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 5/28/17 7:36 am
Topic: RE: May sleevers progress?

Try to resist the urge to compare, as it can actually be counterproductive to your journey. For example, a person who needs to lose an excess weight of 300 pounds loses 30 pounds in the first month- impressive, right? A person who needs to lose 100 pounds loses 15 pounds. Thing is, the llghtweight person lost 15% of the excess weight, and the 300 pound person lost 10%- so who did better? It just is not an apples to apples type comparison.

Additionally, you are just smack in the middle potentially of the "3 week stall". Search it- super common. When folks first get home from the hospital they are fluid ridden, masking weight loss. Then the 3 week mark your body just doesn't show progress on the scale. It has been through a lot though. I would gently suggest to measure yourself right now. It is very common for people to lose inches when the scale is not showing loss. It will help you to keep your brain straight.

Lastly, some of us are "stair step" losers. In my case, I could go 2-3 weeks without losing an ounce, and then within a 2 day period lose 10 pounds. Then nothing for weeks, then another big loss in 2-3 days. Some of us just roll that way.

Follow your plan. The cumulative loss is what does it for us- not a single month with stellar stats. Look at my ticker- most of the months are not numbers that cannot be achieved without surgery. The difference is how much easier (relatively) it is to stay on plan and keep it off. You got this!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 5/27/17 4:13 am
Topic: RE: VSG 5+ Years later?

Just thought I would mention that it could be your acid issues contributing to your weight gain. The only time I had some issues is when the acid from a hiatel hernia was out of control. If you can get the acid under control it might be easier to manage the weight part.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 5/27/17 4:10 am
Topic: RE: VSG 5+ Years later?

Reached and maintained goal. Enormous difference, much higher quality of life. I did blow out the gallbladder and had a second very large hiatel hernia that required surgery. (First hernia was repaired during the vsg.) The only time I dealt with some regain was when the hernia and gallbladder were messing with me... the acid from the hernia for sure makes it more difficult for me to keep the calories in check. Aside from that, overall health is substantially improved.

happyteacher
on 5/18/17 4:40 pm
Topic: RE: Fresh milled flour, bread, and gut health- a follow-up post

My first batch was from Whole Foods. They have it in the bulk section. Use hard red wheat for bread. Then I wanted to try making bread from soft white berries. (Soft white was not as good for bread, better suited for cookies, pastry, etc.). The soft white I ordered from Amazon and it was the Palosa brand or something close to that. Since then, I have been poking around online. About 2 hours from my house are locations where I can buy 50 pounds for $7 (nonorganic). Whole foods was $1.29 per pound for organic. You can also check your local food coops. I also found on Amazon a 25-pound bucket of hard white berries for $15ish, shipping included. There are groups that go in and make bulk orders with a specific delivery date. That doesn't work for me because it comes on a work day, but those types of groups have different options that might work. Finally, I am reading online that you can find it in health food stores, but I have not checked yet. At this point, I am looking to buy 50 pounds at a time to reduce cost. Hubby and I will go for a Sunday drive once I use up what I have to check out the country store that stocks all of this stuff in bulk.

happyteacher
on 5/18/17 4:30 pm
Topic: RE: Patch MD - the results are in

Glad to see you continue to do well and the patch is working for you. I am reaallly overdue to check my levels at this point. Last check though, the patch was doing very well for me as well. Glad to see your happy post!!

happyteacher
on 5/18/17 11:01 am
Topic: RE: Fresh milled flour, bread, and gut health- a follow-up post

I posted a week or two ago that I started milling my own flour to make homemade bread. During my weight loss phase I ate minimal bread and continued that for some time. A year and a half ago I had my gallbladder out and a (second) very large hiatel hernia repaired, leaving me with constant issues with digestion. I was taking crappy medicine to keep things under control, and in general was not feeling to great.

Enter the homemade bread made with freshly milled flour. Originally, I was just trying to improve the quality of bread we were eating and saving us from spending $8 a loaf at Great Harvest. I have to be careful, too much (and with jam) can spike my blood sugar levels too. Turns out a slice with a little butter is fine on the blood sugar levels, and the surpise awesomeness is how much better I am feeling. I have not had to take that crappy medicine since returning whole grains to my diet daily.

Now the last hurdle will be monitoring weight. If my weight spikes that will cause me to reevaluate again. So far managing sugar like cravings, or at least they are similar to what they were prior to the bread.

Please note that the flour you buy in the stores are aweful and are stripped of the important parts of the wheat berry- even if labeled whole grain. That is critical. Normal crappy bread doesn't count. I use my dry blender on my Vitamix to mill the flour- fast and easy.

happyteacher
on 5/14/17 6:29 pm
Topic: RE: VSG Model

Impressed!

happyteacher
on 5/14/17 9:00 am
Topic: RE: Clothes while losing

Old Navy and Jcpenney. I am a full-time teacher so needed to maintain professional clothing for work, and dropped from a super tight 28 to a 14 during the school year. I found I could spend $200 for a complete wardrobe in a new size from these two locations, and also skip sizes. So yes, they got a little loose fitting prior to buying a new size, and the new size was pretty snug. Overall though, it was not terribly expensive and I like to shop for clothes. I am over 6 feet tall, so I am extremely limited on where I can shop. I imagine for normal height folks there are a slew of cost effective options.

happyteacher
on 5/13/17 3:58 pm
Topic: RE: Hiatal Hernia Repair, Gallbladder Removal and DS on same day???

I should clarify. I was not referring to the time under the knife, but rather what your body has to deal with for recovery. As mentioned, it might be just fine... I don't know. I would get a second opinion though. One thing I do know is that revision is high risk and you don't want to be the patient the doctor is trying to figure that out on.

happyteacher
on 5/13/17 6:38 am
Topic: RE: Being re-sleeved - anyone else?

I have both a larger sleeve and after the vsg had to go back in to repair a very large hiatel hernia. My sleeve size is in the 40s, so not quite as large. I do think that I can eat a little more than a typical poster here, but not significantly so. I am 6'2'' and with my larger frame that alone could contribute to being able to eat more. If I have a 6-ounce steak, salad, and some type of side at a restaurant no way can I finish everything. However, the type of food matters as everyone says- slider foods I can do a whole lot of.

Regarding the hernia. I made it to goal in 8 months with no trouble maintaining. About two years ago I started having acid issues. Mine was the silent type- I didn't feel the burning like I did preop. During the vsg I had a hernia repaired. I started noticing I was hungry all the time (or so it seemed). Acid mimics hunger. I felt better after eating for brief periods. Calories went up. I started to regain. By around 6 months of this I had put on enough to be above my goal weight. I also reached a point where I could not keep solid foods down and would have to go several days at a time on a liquid-only diet to rest the digestive system. Turned out I needed the gallbladder removed and hernia repaired. Once that was done, my weight went right back down to my typical maintenance range.

In short, the hernia could have a lot to do with your weight. A constant acid issue for me was a direct contributor to my eating patterns. Now if I notice feeling "hungry" when I shouldn't (30-60 minutes after eating) that is my cue that acid is the problem. I don't have to take prescription PPIs all the time, but do need them every so often.

My surgeon who did the gallbladder and hernia removal was the same one who did the original sleeve. He warned me going in that my sleeve was "stretched" out and that he likely would revise. Turned out once he put the stomach back in the proper position it resumed a fairly normal sleeve shape. Due to revision being a high-risk procedure (as is getting the hernia repaired a second time) he left it alone. If I have another hernia issue down the road, my only option now would be to revise to a Rny to release the pressure... the revision would not be for further weight loss.

So in short. If it were me I would monitor very closely the impact your hernia may be having on your eating. Keep a journal and document everything, including when you notice you start to get "hungry" again or that urge to graze. Like you have started, stick to a proper vsg food plan. If you take or don't take a ppi record that. After a few weeks you should see some patterns. Even if you don't think you need a ppi if it is Ok with the doc I would try it anyway- if your acid is the silent type you may not even know that is an issue. Others are correct about acid causing damage. It can lead to Barrots and cancer. If the hernia is not repaired you need to monitor for damage.

You may very well need a hernia repair. If it were me, if it was a hernia that was not problematic then I would leave it alone nor do a revision. The high-risk surgery is not worth it. In my case, I was unable to eat, had constant nausea and vomiting, etc. so I had little choice. That weight I had gained started coming off prior to the surgery due to not being able to keep food down as the condition worsened.

It is a lot to think about. If you do go in for surgery it might make sense to revise that sleeve to a smaller one. The research I read indicates that 60 and under has comparable results, but over that it is not as effective. You are right on the edge of that. Personally, I would not go into the thirtys due to the higher risk and greater likelihood of acid problems. Even with my 40ish sleeve that proved to be an issue. I can only imagine what might have happened if the sleeve was smaller.

happyteacher
on 5/12/17 7:06 pm
Topic: RE: Hiatal Hernia Repair, Gallbladder Removal and DS on same day???

I had the gallbladder out along with a large hiatel hernia repaired on the same day. That was Ok. I have been through double digit numbers of major surgery, and typically get released from the hospital in less than 24 hours. With this combo of a surgery, it took an extra day recovery in the hospital. Back to work 2 weeks or so later. But that was a LOT of surgery for one day. I would get a second opinion on if adding in the ds is Ok. It might be just fine- I don't know... but a second opinion would be a good idea just to confirm.

happyteacher
on 5/8/17 3:35 pm
Topic: RE: sleeve vs bypass

Gerd patients do typically go Rny. Some of us though went vsg. I had horrible gerd prior to vsg, but during the surgery a hiatel hernia was fixed and it was completely resolved. Until that is 4 years later when I had a return of a very large hiatel hernia that required another surgery for repair. If it happens again my only option is to revise to Rny to release the pressure.

happyteacher
on 5/8/17 3:32 pm
Topic: RE: Intro and Travel Question

Nope. Skip the conference. I had a super easy recovery and no way could I have managed a flight and a conference 2 days after. 2 weeks later- yes if you take it easy. Not 2 days. Call your doc perhaps and ask for an earlier date or to be put on a list in case some one cancels you can scoot in earlier.

happyteacher
on 5/7/17 3:57 pm
Topic: RE: Whole wheat bread and walking that line...

I recall one of your posts from some time ago mentioning the gluten in medication. That is just awful and I am so sorry it affects you to that extent. It must be very difficult to keep track of it to that degree. Good thing you are such a science brainiac and very in tune with that kind of thing, but even with that yikes.

happyteacher
on 5/7/17 3:52 pm

The spoilage thing is a bummer. I just read adding vinegar to the dough helps with that. Will be trying that if I can remember for the next round. But yea, we spoil quick here too. At least with making it I can make it every few days instead of tossing out half of the $8 Great Harvest loaf. Summer is tough though, as I don't like heating up the kitchen.

happyteacher
on 5/7/17 11:52 am

It did. But this morning was my baseline "this is the way I would like to eat it" type thing. Two slices with apple butter and a little regular butter. (Slices are not full sandwich slice height, but thicker so equivalent to a typical slice of bread.) Went to 199 and 30 minutes later was under 100. Next up, once slice with no sugary goodness on top. That will have to wait for another day though.

happyteacher
on 5/7/17 11:50 am

Going to watch that- thanks for posting about it!

happyteacher
on 5/7/17 11:49 am

I just started learning more about different grains and milling them at home. Spelt has stellar nutrition stats (better than hard red wheat berries) and I think it is Ok gluten wise? If that is the case it might be a nice option. You can buy the spelt at Whole food and grind it in a Vitamix or similar high powered blender. Although the fancy grain mill is now firmly on my kitchen gadget disease list.

happyteacher
on 5/7/17 7:01 am

During my weight loss phase a few years ago one item I ate a small amount was bread. I was choosy too- only Great Harvest whole grain type stuff, half a slice or a low carb tortilla wrap. Now my family is borderline empty nester and the hubby and I don't go through that much bread, and I am tired of paying $8 a loaf only to toss half of it away. So I bought a new mixer after burning out my Kitchen Aide trying to make bread, and am once again making my own bread.

This time is a little different. I started to research flours and such, mostly due to my frugality. The crap you get in a store just won't cut it. Too processed, even if you are buying 100% whole wheat. So enter my trusty Vitamix and for the first time I am milling my own flour. Now I am certain it is not overly processed and no extra crap is in it. The bread I bake is 100% whole wheat flour ground from wheat berries, and it is delicious.

But damn. I am confident I have the highest quality bread that can be made, but this still doesn't mean that blood sugar levels are not mucked up by it. I think I am going to drag out my blood testing kit and monitor the impact. If my blood sugar levels are not going nuts from it, then it will stay on the menu. If it does though, no more. Walking that line can be tricky. It is not enough to "think" it is a good choice or to eat in moderation. Look for evidence. Good luck in your journey and be careful with eating crappy bread!

happyteacher
on 5/3/17 3:58 pm
Topic: RE: I am considering weight loss surgery but do not know what which one

Rny and Vsg are statistically pretty comparable as far as total weight loss. Rny is better for resolving diabeties, although Vsg does to just not at as high of a rate. Higher risk with Rny, but still very safe. Rny is better for acid managment, worse for dealing with reactive hypoglycemia. So it depends- determine what your medical needs are, consult the doc, and decide from there.

happyteacher
on 5/2/17 3:21 am
Topic: RE: frustrated, but still doing ok

What you are doing is working- your clothes are evidence of that. I am sure you already know it is common that if the scale is not cooperating, it is not unsual to lose inches. Just keep at it- it will work :) I know it is challenging to be working so hard and not see the scale budge. I suspect when it does move, it will be a nice little jump for you. Hang in there!!

happyteacher
on 5/1/17 2:47 pm
Topic: RE: Costco protein

Oh dear,

Don't chicken out 10 days in- this is the hardest part and you almost have it done!!!

happyteacher
on 5/1/17 2:41 pm
Topic: RE: Upcoming VSG. Having second thoughts.

I am just going to add to the litany of responses to reaffirm that it is perfectly normal to get a little nervous. It is also very normal to think that you can do it without the surgery, but as your experience has demonstrated unequivocally it is extremely unlikely. Do the surgery now and regain mobility, strength, and stamina while you still can. Don't back out unless something creeps up in your health that would necessitate it. You will be so glad you did it, and in as little as 6 months you could be at your goal weight instead of battling the war you have been fighting. Do it. Do it. Do it!

happyteacher
on 4/30/17 3:12 pm
Topic: RE: BMI

Statistically, Rny and Vsg are comparable in results. Rny has an advantage for putting diabetes in remission, although Vsg does just not at the same rate. I started at a 44 and made it to a 23 at my lowest, with maintaining 24 being the norm.

happyteacher
on 4/30/17 12:16 pm
Topic: RE: Costco protein

I would recommend you do not buy large quantities of any one type- your tastebuds change and what you like today may not work well post op. With that said, I like the RTD Premier Protein chocolate, strawberry or caramel. The Orgain chocolate powder is good in coffee to make a mocha coffee. Muscle milk was awful. I had bought a huge tub of it and finally realized I could tolerate it in coffee, thank goodness. That first month out I did isopure plus- regular shakes sat too hard. Premier protein now makes a clear protein drink (Sams club) that is similar, but much cheaper to buy... have not tried it yet.