Terrified
Arbiter_Perigee · 5 replies · 80 views
Today I kicked butt!
donne103 · 4 replies · 95 views

happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 7:52 pm
Topic: RE: Acid and hunger

The stuff I take usually helps with one dose. I tend to need to take it over a few days to get the acid to stay away,

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 7:50 pm

I tried this past summer to brew it. Ended up with a biblical infestation of fruit flies. Ended up being too much of a hassle, so now I buy it. It is unfortunate that it is $3-$4 a bottle. Have not tried to make my own kefir, just yogurt. I am glad to read you were able to track down a PPI that worked well for you. I had to switch to panto.... something. I can never remember the ending of the PPI. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 7:47 pm

Anytime during the day- I don't have a specific routine or anything with this. If you have not tried it before, limit it to maybe 4 ounces or so. Give your system some time to adjust. Now, I drink 10 ounces or so every other day. I love the stuff and would drink a gallon a day if I didn't think that would be overkill.

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 9:34 am

Just thought I would post this for our folks that are newbies to the process. Acid is a little different post op for some of us. Preop I had awful Gerd, needed to take constant Tums and OTC meds for it, burning, etc. Post op here and there I have acid issues. Most of the time now though the way I know it is an issue is because I experience hunger. Almost always that relates to the acid. If I take an acid reducer, the hunger goes away. I am mentioning this because it took me a little while to realize this, and the acid makes it (for me a least) harder to lose weight and prone to gain.

Fast forward a few years after surgery I had a large hiatel hernia return and loads of acid. During this period I gained weight, and for the only time in maintenance stayed above goal by 5-10 pounds (somewhere in there anyway) for a few months until surgery repaired it. Once repaired (along with the gallbladder) the weight dropped off again and I once again settled back into my typical maintenance weight of being about 15 pounds under goal. 

This morning I woke up hungry. Ate, and was hungry again in about an hour. That is not hunger. That is time for me to take my meds :) If you have hunger and take acid meds, you might need to try a different one. It might take a couple of different types before you find one that works. Kombucha also helps control the acid too (although I have no clue why that works for me).

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 9:17 am
Topic: RE: How to get over missing part of your stomach!

Don't fret your sleeve size. I also have a sleeve in the 40s and loosely sewn. Add to that my 6'2'' and I have more capacity than the average poster here. Even with all that, it is plenty of restriction 5 years out. That restriction totally depends on not eating sliders of course, but even if I had the smallest sleeve possible if I wanted to eat around the sleeve I could. I LOVE having this size :) 

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 8:13 am

I agree with almost all of what the above post said from VSGAnn. The part where she wrote that "about half of those who have WLS regain at least half of their lost weight" is inaccurate. First, I would gently suggest to look at the stats for VSG given that is what you are considering and not lump all WLS together. Why? The DS has better stats and longterm results, but with greater trade offs. The lapband has awful stats. Given you are looking at VSG just look at your VSG stats and compare those stats to the stats of the other surgeries.

The VSG stats indicate that the average person will regain 5% of what they lost. So, if you lose 100 pounds then your regain would be 5. Of course, that is the "average" person meaning that some will lose and stay well below their goal EWL or regain more. Personally, I have been hovering 15 pounds below my goal weight for a few years now, so I would balance out the person who hovers around a 20 pound regain to get that "average" person.

Do some of us experience regain? Absolutely. Do we all? Absolutely not. Do we all regain even 20%? Nope. And the one thing that becomes very clear is that the regainers show patterns early out from surgery that is predictive of the later regain. For example, denial, continuing to regularly eat junk food/sugary food, not tracking, drinking alcohol, etc. Those of us that get to goal and stay there also show predictive patterns although this is not to say we are "perfect" and never vary from plan. Our predictive patterns tend to be weighing and tracking, monitoring nutrients ( getting in protein, not overdoing carbs/avoiding simple carbs, avoid junk food/fast food/sugar, log daily, etc.) and we are very consistent with this. (My personal goal is to be consistent at least 90% of the time.)

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 7:43 am

Oh my gosh. leave it to a child to come up with a beautifully simple way to describe the vsg!!  I am totally using that!!

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 7:41 am

It will not grow back. With that said, I have yet to meet someone who went through the procedure and say 2 years out said,"Wow, I really wish my stomach would grow back."  We actually frequently here, "Wow, I wish I still had the same level of restriction I had early out". I wonder if what the underlying fear is if you will every "enjoy" food in the same way, or derive the same level of satisfaction from it that you do currently. That can be incredibly difficult to wrap your brain around preop- what does it actually feel like, will I miss food, etc. 

Food satisfaction/enjoyment of food is actually identical. You do eat far less of it for sure, but the end result feels the same. For many of us, food enjoyment/satisfaction actually increases believe it or not. This is due to many of us eating "better" food because we eat so much less. For example, hubby and I would not eat steak all that frequently and instead typically get more budget friendly cuts of meat. Now, we spend the same amount but purchase very nice cuts. We pay more attention to food quality since the quantity is so reduced. Preop we were all about quantity, lots and lots of quantity. 

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 7:27 am
Topic: RE: 2 month mark, what's so great about it?

For me, that was around the time that all of the new habits I was trying to get to "stick" started to stick. For example, by then I could put together a quick meal portioned correctly with the macros that I needed without having to check every little stat. (I still logged!) If I was breaking one of my new habits I felt it, compared to earlier out when I would first start it felt like I was making a great choice (a novel feeling really). So in a nutshell, that is about the time my new normal set in and it was no longer the type of work where I had to think about every little thing. Additionally, I was starting to see some of the benefits of exercising like going from dying at 5 minutes on the elliptical to doing an hour and wanting more. Stemming from this I started to want to be more active (compared to my very sedentary life prior) and wanting to exercise- not just doing it because I was supposed to.

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 7:20 am
Topic: RE: Streched sleeve need help to drop this last 30lbs

Holy heck Hala, I didn't even realize English was not your first language!

happyteacher
on 1/20/17 4:33 pm
Topic: RE: Hello

I remember it feeling like it was a full time job at first. I was constantly reading up, trolling forums, planning out what I could eat, and making every adjustment I could. Mentally it just seemed like it consumed my days, especially the first couple of weeks. By 8 weeks I was not sore, but still more tired than normal at work. I was exercising by then happy dance and just full on into the process. That is also about the time some of the crap food (not much, just a tad here and there) was reintroduced. I had gotten to the point where craving sweets had lost it holds on me, and I could really taste foods natural sweetness. Not anymore. My over splenda use has once again made sweet needing high levels to taste and I always crave sweets. At 8 weeks I had not lost enough for people to notice yet- I would have to lose 70 pounds before people started to realize I was losing weight.

happyteacher
on 1/20/17 4:27 pm
Topic: RE: My personal battle with the 3 week stall!

Both of the things you stated can contribute. If you are not drinking enough your body will hold on to as much of the fluid it can. Fluid retention can make a huge difference. in my case my weight can swing 5 pounds in one 24 hour period. Constipation also can really add up. Try to up your fluids, get some fiber in (my preference) or use colace or something if your doc is cool with that. Stay on your plan, it will pass. 

Also, if you have not done so yet- take your measurements. Many times during stalls the scale is not moving but you are losing inches. It will help keep you sane during stalls to see that inches lost.

happyteacher
on 1/20/17 4:21 pm
Topic: RE: Dizziness

Oh yes, and eventually realized it was from different reasons. Here are the common culprits:

1. Low blood sugar. Initially I was trying to do the under 40 carb thing, and my blood sugar was going low. Adjusted the carbs to fix this.
  2. Low sodium- the biggest problem turned out to be sodium. I was losing my balance at work, nearly passing out type issues. Docs in general did not seemed worried (cancer docs included), but it was a real problem for me. Finally at one of my vsg follow up appointments the doc noticed the low blood pressure, and that it was a trend. (It was low enough they kept thinking it was just a off reading at the other appointments.) She pulled did bloodwork, and suggested i drink 1 Powerade zero a day. That helped. Bloodwork came back and my sodium was way under normal. Made sense. My new eating was whole food based, nothing processed, and I didn't use any salt when preparing food. So, worked in including more sodium in the diet, took a sodium pill here and there, and sure enough once the sodium in the blood work got up to the higher end of the normal range no more dizziness.
  3. Medication needs to be adjusted. My husband lost 100 pounds with me. He was taking metformin and blood pressure medicine. With the weight loss, dizziness set in. It was his meds causing it. He was able to stop them entirely, and the dizziness resolved.

happyteacher
on 1/19/17 4:58 pm
Topic: RE: Whatcha eating today? Thursday, 1/19/2017

Nothing wrong with that! That is exactly what I did during the weight loss phase and it worked brilliantly for me! It is good that you realize early entering helps to stay on track!

happyteacher
on 1/19/17 4:56 pm
Topic: RE: Whatcha eating today? Thursday, 1/19/2017

Maintenance phase here so stats reflect this- and posting because my calories are Ok, but the quality is not. Looking to clean that up.

B- just my supplements, but hey I remembered them!

L- bean soup, 3/4 cup 

S- Belvita breakfast biscuit things

D- cube steak (did not weight but about 3-4 ounces), 1 very small canned potato (don't judge, we were out of fresh) with a bit of gravy

S- brownie/cookie not a huge quantity, but still not quality. Especially given my protein is so low. 

Missing- lots of protein and veggies. It was creamed spinach at dinner and my digestive system kind of freaks out with a lot of high fat stuff so skipped it.

happyteacher
on 1/19/17 4:43 pm
Topic: RE: BMI Goal Unrealistic? How long will weight loss continue?

Oh yes, completely realistic. The only reason it might not be is if you were a body builder type so all that extra muscle doesn't fit nicely into the bmi chart. In some cases, for whatever reason, the bmi chart is not a good fit... but assuming it is then get to YOUR goal. It will be harder to stop the weight loss phase and then restart it later (been there, done that).

happyteacher
on 1/19/17 4:40 pm
Topic: RE: Taking the easy way out?

I think it is very smart of you to carefully consider this. Resleeve is a much higher risk, and as you mentioned it is 30 pounds. Last year when I had the gallbladder out and huge hiatel hernia repair, the doc said just before putting me out that he might resleeve due to the stomach being all "stretched" out. He explained the risks then, but said he would make the call once he was in and could see better. Turned out once he put the stomach back where it belongs it resumed the correct shape. 

I am also surprised that your surgeon indicated only 65% of your stomach was removed. I might be wrong about this so hopefully others will correct me, but i though 80% or so was the norm. Consequently, if I am correct (and I might not be) and this is the same surgeon I would for sure be seeking a second opinion. 

Actually, in ane situation I would be seeking a second opinion. Avoid an extra surgery if you can- more risk than it is worth in my opinion.

happyteacher
on 1/18/17 5:31 pm
Topic: RE: Sleeve stretching and vitamin ****tails

Thanks for the reply. I used to do the calcium but forgot it in my last order.  I will pick some more up. I found that the multi got my iron levels up with the extra iron patch- made me stupid happy given it was the first time in years I was out of the anemic range. The patch has worked extremely well for me so far :) 

happyteacher
on 1/18/17 5:26 pm

It has been off for a while. It just took me a long time to figure out what was doing that :) Cuss away Grim!

happyteacher
on 1/18/17 5:24 pm
Topic: RE: Loving my new tool..... but have a question

I had a hiatel hernia repaired at surgery so not sure if pain was from that or the vsg, but what you described was consistent with what I experienced. Healing will come slowly, but it will heal! You can't really compare numbers due to so much variance. For example, if one person has EWL of 100 pounds and loses 9 pounds in month one then that is 9% of the total EWL. If a person with 200 pounds of EWL loses 15 pounds in the first month it is more pounds, but the percent of EWL is only 7.5%. The numbers, in other words, can be deceiving. Best just to go by if you are on plan keep doing it, and if you are off plan get back on!

happyteacher
on 1/17/17 2:21 pm

Sleeves relax compared to being newly sleeved for sure. I am not buying into it being a stretched out mess though. I had a very large hiatel hernia hit about 4 years out. Going into that surgery for repair the doc warned me of an impending revision due to the stomach being all stretched out of shape. During surgery, however, once he smushed the stomach back down where it belong it resumed a normal shape so no revision. Truly, if a stomach was going to stretch out on someone it would have been me. I had a large sleeve originally (up in the 40's) so in theory more of the stretchy portion left compared to my smaller sleeved friends. I am over 5 years out and my restriction is excellent. If I do a couple of days of liquid diet (sometimes I do to rest my digestive system) the restriction is downright oppressive. 

happyteacher
on 1/17/17 2:17 pm

Are you using the multi plus a calcium patch Grim? 

happyteacher
on 1/17/17 2:11 pm

Now I finally understand why tha****er gets filtered! Lol, this made me chuckle!! I couldn't figure out why things were getting filtered that otherwise were just fine, but never thought to look at the word/letter combinations! 

happyteacher
on 1/16/17 11:08 am
Topic: RE: Another new guy here

Funny thing is that is how I feel about the BP site. I started an account over there back in 2013, but never was able to get into the vibe there due to navigation for the most part. The off topic board here is not used much at all. 

happyteacher
on 1/16/17 11:06 am
Topic: RE: Another new guy here

Welcome!