happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 6/25/13 3:49 am
Topic: RE: Carbs- low carb, moderate carb, ignore carbs... a perspective

You have done well Angie, congrats!  I agree that  low carbs are not worth damaging muscles and organs.  I do believe though that there is a bit of research supporting that it does not "hurt" you as long as you keep the fluids up.  I am not against low carb, but rather pro figuring out what the individual needs.  If you need more carbs then you can be successful and make it to goal.  If you feel better going low carb you can be successful and make it to goal.  The one thing that is consistent is that we have to keep the calories beneath the level of what we burn!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 6/25/13 3:46 am

Sugar is my demon Ann.  I can manage it, but I have to be constantly vigilant.  I am so glad to read you found the connection between the sugar and the cravings.  There was a time that I had put sugar aside long enough to truly not even have much of a taste for it, but then I let it creep back in.  I have done an excellent job of maintaining my weight even with some sugar, but it probably would have been easier if I had just left it alone.  Then again, I could drop it again knowing in 3 months I would lose my taste for it again, and perhaps in my future I will need to take that step in order to ensure my maintenance.  Most of my carbs were from veggies, fruit, and fiber rich foods.  Even fruit I had to be careful with and manage those portions.  Veggies have always kind of self-managed for me.  

Be sure to log so you can see the correlation between what you eat and your loss path.  I did potatoes occasionally (usually sweet potatoes) but they are not triggery for me.  Just keep tabs on what works for you and don't let excuses creep in. You are off to a terrific start!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 6/25/13 3:39 am

"I did incorporate a lot of exercise and that may be the difference in some of our needs and ability to hit goal weight. I like how I eat virtually the same as I did during weight loss phase, the transition to maintenance was not too different, and I never felt like I was on a diet or plan, but just a lifestyle of new eating habits."

Well stated!  I couldn't agree with this more.  Adjusting into maintenance was a bit unsettling for me at first only because I didn't know the target calories for the day.  Once I worked that out it has been a breeze- precisely since my eating habits did not have to do this major adjustment to suddenly allow for carbs, or (fill in the blank) other types of food.  I learned how to manage all that during the weight loss phase.  I can honestly say that there is nothing now I eat that I didn't eat in the weight loss phase.  The major difference is less exercise (but still regular) and the confidence that if I do have that rare pasta meal or more common ice cream, that I can keep everything in line overall.  That is just as important to me as the weight that I lost.   

Don't get me wrong.  I still can't keep junk food in the house.  I just can't stay out of it.  There are a few things like this that I have to accept will just have to be this way.  But it is only a few things like this and compared to sitting out of all the fun life offers because I weighed 150 pounds more it is totally worth it. :) 

happyteacher
on 6/25/13 3:33 am

I concur with you Keith.  I should note that the post refers only to carb, and not protein.  Protein is critical as well, and I also agree with the idea of eating your protein first.  Nobody signed up to lose muscle in this process!  And absolutely, each person will have their own unique needs that do not fit nicely into a binder- that is precisely my point of the post.  Figure out what works and do that!

happyteacher
on 6/25/13 1:34 am

So how do you decide what to do with carbs in your diet?  Most programs would not advocate keeping carbs under 40 grams per day, however, there is a strong pressure on these boards that this is the most reliable path to goal.  So which is it?  I think anyone starting this journey has to take an honest evaluation of what your personal needs are.  For many, keeping carbs under 40 simplifies the process and works.  For others, under 40 is a strong type of unsustainable deprivation that does not allow to develop the skills needed to eat a healthy balanced diet.  Not to mention that it goes against just about all wisdom out there on what a healthy diet is.  I know, I know... people will pipe in that due to our obesity the rules don't apply to us.  Really?  All of a sudden we don't need nutrients and fiber because we are (or were) super fat?  Ridiculous.  For most I suspect, you are somewhere in between low carb and my more generous carb approach (still not considered high carb by the way).  But here is what I have found.

1.  Carbs indeed can trigger cravings and hunger.  I do not dispute this.  My stance, however, is that carbs should be carefully consumed.  For me, 15 carbs at a snack and 30 at a meal.  Too much carb at one time can flood your system with insulin, which stores fat, and triggers hunger and cravings.  Your number may be very different.  My point is to pay attention when you log your food.  I bet you will notice when you have too much at one sitting if you log and look for trends.  Notice how you feel after carbs or lack of carbs and track that for a while.  It is enlightening.  

2.  Suffering from terrible constipation and going low carb?  Yea, you need carbs.  Sure, you could take a pill or some other medicinal intervention.  For me, it makes sense to meet your bodies need through diet and nutrition.  For most folks this means 25 grams or more of fiber per day.  I have found I need 35 grams per day to keep things moving correctly.  I do not eat all of these grams in one sitting, but rather spaced out through the day.  This is true both in maintenance and in my weight loss phase.  

3.  Blood sugar levels.  Pay attention to how you feel.  Are you shaky and perhaps a little mentally foggy?  This may be a blood sugar issue.  When you have say 4 ounces of milk do you feel better?  Yep, blood sugar could be the culprit.  Some folks are able to go under 40 and not have this be an issue.  I can't.  Anything under 60 for sure causes problems, and 60-80 is pretty darn iffy.  But, I am hypoglycemic.  I think everyone has a range that is best for themselves.  Track your food and see if you can find your range.  

4.  Veggies are your friend.  Nobody got fat eating asparagus.  There is no reason to suspect it will derail your weight loss.  You need the nutrients from veggies and fruit and the fiber.  Now perhaps don't sit down and eat 4 cups of pineapple- that will not help.  Look up the glycemic index and choose options that are low on the index.  Keep in mind ripeness of fruit changes the impact on your blood sugar level.  Educate yourself.  

5.  Pay attention to what your program suggests.  Listen to your  nutritionist.  Yea, some of them are not very good.  If you suspect this, find another one.  My nutritionist was exponentially helpful in identifying areas to tweak to make this process more effective and sustainable.  

6.  Not all carbs are good.  Stay away from refined and processed junk, "white" carbs, etc . I don't eat a lot of bread, rice, or pasta.  Once in a while sure, but it is not a regular part of my day.  Veggies and fruit are.  

In all, I made it to goal without any difficulty eating carbs.  I would average about a 100-125 net carbs a day, and spaced out appropriately the majority of time.  When I overdid the carbs, yes indeed it would take a few days to work out of that cycle.  In maintenance, I will occasionally have a few consecutive days of very high carbs (over 225 or so).  Every time my weight will spike by a few pounds, but for sure it seems to be water weight.  I eat clean for a couple a days with exercise (not low calorie) and that spike in weight comes right off.  The carbs will increase glycogyn, and the glycogyn needs water.  Plain and simple.  Lower the carbs a bit, burn off the glycogyn, and this is how people lose several pounds in just a few short days.  But that is not that same as burning fat.  Here is a brief article about glycogyn if interested http://www.livestrong.com/article/307905-glycogen-and-weight -loss/

Use your bariatric team that you (or your insurance) paid a chunk of change too.  Use the support services, go to your NUT appointments, exercise.  It works and will lead you to goal.  Learning to eat and manage a healthy diet is priceless.  Best of luck on your journey, Happyteacher.

happyteacher
on 6/25/13 1:04 am
Topic: RE: Fever 6 days post op

Let us know how you are doing when you have a moment...

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 11:04 pm
Topic: RE: Psych eval tomorrow

I was very worried about this part of the process as well, but needlessly so in hindsight.  I guess looking back on it I was worried that I would be declined given my huge pattern of failed weight loss attempts.  Kinda silly when I think about it now given that is why folks have the surgery and all.  I was also a little concerned that depression could have been a factor for denial.  Not that I was clinically diagnosed, but the weight was surly affecting me negatively.  I just wasn't sure how it would plan out.  Anyway, 2 years later I ended up going back to the guy who did the screen when some issues with my daughter came up.  You may find that it is a good experience overall, so try not to worry.

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 10:59 pm
Topic: RE: I am in charge of my weight...NOT YOU!!!!

It's crazy how fast we can put on 2-3 pounds.  My normal carb intake is about 150ish, but every do often I go much higher.  If I string 2-3 days in a row, my weight for sure will jump up 3-4 pounds.  But like you mentioned, a couple days of clean eating and exercise and it corrects quickly.  Congrats on your run!  I would love to pick up jogging again, but the damn extra skin particularly on the back bothers me too much.  (I have a weird allergy to vibration, and for some reason this really impacts it.)  

Glad you are back on track, now keep marchig toward your goal!

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 10:54 pm
Topic: RE: I'm better -- but I didn't record my full weight loss -- Thoughts?

Hmmm.... not sure I agree that it is not a true loss.  I understand completely not wanting to set yourself up for a letdown on the scale and all though.  Unfortunately, I have experience with this as well.  I was 10 pounds above my goal a year ago in July.  I ate some mango from Sams that later was recalled for I think salmonella, but whatever it was it made people sick.  Of course by then I had already eaten a decent portion of the container.  I was sick from it, and it took a solid week or perhaps a week and a half to recover.  I lost 10 pounds from that ordeal and officially made goal as a result.  Thing is, it stayed off.  I didn't have a 5 pound regain or anything after I recovered.  I did make sure to get fluids in while I was sick, so rebounding from dehydration was not an issue- but I didn't eat much.  So, so sorry that you were ill... but enjoy the benefit of the weight loss!  You earned it!

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 12:52 pm
Topic: RE: Cholesterol went up- not down! More vegetables? Less protein? Stick it out?

Mine went up, not down.  Think carefully about what you are consuming... I bet if you think about it your portions are so relatively small that you are not consuming a lot of cholesterol laden food anyway.  My support group talked about this a while back, and the lead person confirmed that they have noticed that this is a trend with some folks.  

My cholesterol never made it back down.  I don't eat a high fat diet, and even most of my protein that I consume is not from meat sources.  I do eat meat, but typically most of my protein comes from shakes, yogurt (fat free), protein crackers, etc.  I am not a low carb person, and ate fruits and veggies through most of my weight loss phase- yea, still high cholesterol.  

I suspect that even if you dropped the meat it would still be higher.  Check with your doc on how to proceed. 

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 11:32 am
Topic: RE: Skin issues

You may want to document it with a doctor- it could help you get plastic surgery covered later on.  

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 11:31 am
Topic: RE: Gastric Sleeve and long periods between meals

It really shouldn't be an issue unless you have issues with low blood sugar.  You will not be hungry the whole time in all likelihood, and may even find that you are not all that hungry at the end anyway. 

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 11:29 am
Topic: RE: Fever 6 days post op

I would call.  It is probably fine, but if you do by chance have a bit of a leak that is nothing to play around with. 

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 6:48 am
Topic: RE: Any other sugar addicts out there?

Yes, without a doubt.  I would take it a little farther and say that I have a "sweet taste" addiction.  This include artificial sweetners along with sugar.  I did a great job of no sugar in the first few months post-op, but allowed it back in after that.  What a mistake.  I had gone long enough that I did not crave it, but now deal with the sugar demon daily.  Overall I manage it well, but looking back I wish I would have left well-enough alone.  I enjoy my carbs, but can manage those a whole lot better in general than sugar.  

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 3:11 am
Topic: RE: Ate too fast, horrible vomiting for the first time, and this is 18 monhs out

Thanks Shag.  I feel fine today, other than my stomach being sore.  Liquid diet for a few days to let everything rest and heal!  

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 12:44 am
Topic: RE: Ate too fast, horrible vomiting for the first time, and this is 18 monhs out

In the midst of this last night I was really wondering if we no longer puke they way we did prior to surgery.  It truly seemed that my stomach was working way, way to hard to make all that fun happen.  I also had a hiatel hernia repair, and wonder if perhaps the esophagus isn't quite what it used to be.  It just seemed like it would get stuck a bit at the top of the stomach where it met the esophagus.  So gross.  Sorry.  

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 12:20 am
Topic: RE: Poll__does anyone blend veggies in their protein shakes?, suggestions please

I have never tried it in a protein shake, but I think it is doable.  I juice.  If it were me I would make a juice, and then use that in the shake.  Unless you have a vitamix, then I would probably experiment with keeping the fiber in there.  My ninja doesn't break down the veggies enough to tolerate.  I don't think a little handful of spinach or other greens would make a tremendous difference to taste, but will kick up the nutrients. 

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 12:17 am
Topic: RE: Brutal honesty...need some help here.

Not all sleevers go low carb- I didn't.  I did, however, manage how many carbs I would eat at one sitting to avoid that nasty insulin cycle mentioned.  15 carbs for a snack, and about 30 carbs for a meal (net carbs).  Many here have success keeping it under 40 carbs.  Find what works for you. 

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 12:15 am
Topic: RE: Brutal honesty...need some help here.

I think it will be critical for you to keep your trigger foods completely out of your house.  Whatever you tend to graze on needs to go.  You will find it will be unlikely that you constantly graze on chicken breasts for example.  I am a total grazer too, and an emotional eater, and especially a stress eater.  You will find that post-op it will be much easier to deal with this, but will still take some work.  In the beginning one strategy I used was setting a timer.  When I ate, I would have to wait at least 2.5 hours before I could eat again (barring my blood sugar going low).  That really helped me to get out of the habit of constantly grazing.  You will find you will not really be hungry in between meals, other than head hunger.  After a while, it became much easier for me not to graze.

But it is also easy to fall right back in the habit if you let it creep back in too.  Just be prepared to be mindful about this as a life habit and you will be able to tackle it!

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 12:10 am

Just throwing this out there because I was completely taken by surprise last night.   I rarely eat a hamburger, but did last night.  I ate very quickly because I needed to go with the hubby, and past experience has shown that this has not been a problem before.  (Please know that I do not make a practice of that - slow is good!)

Anyway, not only was vomiting a problem- but it was terribly painful as well.  I was shocked.  Needless to say I think it is going to be a really long time before I eat hamburger again.  2 hours that I have no desire to repeat.  

So even if you are further out just wanted to share that this can still happen- even to those of us with a larger capacity and sleeve of steel.  

happyteacher
on 6/24/13 12:02 am
Topic: RE: Question for the vets - what to expect at 5 months out

My capacity did steadily increase, but for sure by goal I was at my final capacity- it very well could have happened prior to that, but it is a little fuzzy now.  I sometimes eat a lot of carbs for several days in a row and that is when I really seem to have a "huge" capacity, but of course those carbs slide.  As soon as I return to the eating pattern that I know I need, the restriction is just fine.  Last week, I ate quite a bit less than normal (much closer to my weight loss phase habits) and it was plainly evident that my restriction is in full force.  

You can see from my ticker my weight loss progress during weight loss and for a few months maintenance.  You will be able to lose weight after 6 months.  I really didn't notice a huge difference, other than a slightly slower rate.  Those numbers will still add up though and if you think about it if you managed for 6 months you are just continuing what is already habit for you.  Just don't let yourself get comfortable and slip into maintenance mode until you are truly ready for it.    

happyteacher
on 6/23/13 11:54 pm
Topic: RE: I made it to my surgeon's goal today!

Absolutely you can do it.  If you look at my ticker I lost steadily up until I made goal.  It is possible instead of averaging 10 pounds a month it may drop to 8 for example, but still losing for sure.  After I made goal I still lost 10 more without difficulty as well.  Just don't let the calories creep up and keep exercising.  

On a side note- one thing I did not ice when I made "goal" was pretty much at the point it became very difficult to continue my weightloss habits as diligently.  Yes, I lost 10 more but that was a pound here and there, and not my concentrated consistent effort that characterized my weight loss phase.  Be careful of this, because I think it is easy to mentally say "I hit goal" when you realy want to lose more, and this in itself makes it more difficult to keep those great habits going.  

There is no reason why you cannot make 100% EWL, just keep yourself in weight loss mode.

happyteacher
on 6/23/13 10:24 am
Topic: RE: New Whey 42gm protein 3.8 ounces 7 flavors

Check the protein source of the shots.  It should be whey isolate, not collagen.  We do not absorb collagen.  

happyteacher
on 6/23/13 10:20 am
Topic: RE: The reality is setting in...

Hi Jane,

What you are experiencing is very normal.  As a group in general we have all tried and failed at so many attempts at weight loss that it is hard to really wrap your head around not failing again.  This time is different.  The surgery makes an enourmous difference.  If you are willing to open yourself up to following the plan it will work.  I was not perfect at this process.  I cheated on my preop diet twice, but at that time failed to appreciate that I was on plan for 95% of the choices.  I was not perfect post-op, but instead just very consistent.  This will work for you if you are committed to being consistent.  Congrats on your upcoming surgery

happyteacher
on 6/23/13 2:48 am
Topic: RE: VSG and popcorn

Yes.  I do not remember exactly, but it was several months out.  I can tolerate it in that the day I eat it I feel fine, but the day after I have noticed that it is a bit of a problem.  It is true- empty calories.  Even worse, it is my number one slider food. I could eat a large popcorn from AMC during a movie if I wanted to.  

Most Active