happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 5/11/13 11:04 pm
Topic: RE: This surgery did not work for me...Is there anyone else out there that had a similar problem?

Are you eating because your hungry?  What are the types of food you are eating?  It doesn't matter what size sleeve you have, it is possible to eat around it.  Are you adhering to protein first, no drinking before and after a meal, etc?  Give us an idea of what you are eating and we can be more specific.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 5/9/13 9:52 am
Topic: RE: New member, many questions ?
On May 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM Pacific Time, lupusgirlCO wrote:

My rheumatologist and I have been talking about weight loss surgery and he is referring me to the WLS clinic hopefully in a few months.  I was on prednisone since 22  ( I'm now 29 )and FINALLY kicked the habit , weight is falling off slowly but my metabolism is pretty much shot. I lost a ton of weight before being diagnosed ( originally diagnosed with adult still's disease and then in 2010 with lupus) just from being ill , original lost was 160 lbs . Between lupus, 6 pregnancies ( 3 m/c's, 1 stillborn ( was diagnosed with lupus during that pregnancy and unfortunately lost our daughter then, 2 beautiful healthy boys in the last two years. ), hypothyroidism, and having the mindset that if I don't eat I would lose , I gained 90 lbs of it back over the last 6 years .  I had no blood pressure issues until right after I had my son in October last year and had a lupus flare, we can't totally pinpoint on "why" it occurred as my doctor explained I have many risk factors that could have caused it from my weight to my lupus to my medication. I want this weight gone for good .

Questions:

A lot of these answers , I found during research but I would really like people's person's answers instead of a generic answer.

Generally from first appointment to surgery , what is the timeline or wait?

Do you take supplements ? Are they soy or milk-based? Asking as I have a milk protein allergy and a slight soy intolerance.

What is weight loss like ?

For the ladies , what is the wait if you wanted to have a baby? Having one more child is very important to us . I know that sounds odd as me losing weight is very important but after having so many losses , we really do want another child. My pregnancies with my sons were very healthy , no GD/ BP issues  . I honestly want to have another baby within the next two years as many of the women in my family experience early menopause/ fertility issues around 33 .

For the ladies again, I had c-sections due to stubborn babies ( both breech and refused to turn lol). If you did have a baby before surgery, did you have any issues with your surgerical site ? For mom's that had babies after surgery, any issues? Everyone is urging me to have my last child before surgery but I am on the fence and even my rheumatologist says it would probably be better. I also have to be on steriods during my pregnancy, so that is something I have to consider.

I am very Vitamin D deficit on my own, will that worsen with surgery ?

How long was your hospital stay ?

How long is recovery ? How is pain? How was your pain managed ? Did you have any physical restrictions after surgery? (ie not picking up a certain weight , ect.)

What was your diet like after surgery?

I'm a meal skipper /forgetter ( I know bad , a habit I have had since very young and trying to correct), my nutrtionist is very concerned with this combined with having surgery. Anyone go through this and retrain their mind to eat schedule?

Was there any aspects of the entire process , that was surprising ?

Did you have to take antibotics after surgery ? I ask as I have quite a few allergies to antibotics .

I have so many people that love me very much but are so worried about me getting surgery and to just keep trying to lose it on my own, I have explained that this is something we feel I need to help my lose weight and although it has risks ...there are many risks to being obese. How did you handle family with concern? One family had gastric bypass, although she lost the weight she has been very ill since and I think that scares them .

I thank you all so much. As much research as I have done, there is nothing like getting advice from someone who has been there.

Lynne

1,  3 months from seminar to surgery.

2.  Daily vitamin, D3, sometimes a little extra iron, calcium.  They have lactose, but this is avoidable.

3.  Made it to goal in 8 months, over 140 pounds lost.

4.  I have 3 kids, but no c section experience.

5.  Vitamin D, I don't think it would be worse.

6.  1 day in the hospital.  I was offered more time, but declined.  Super easy recovery.

7.  A little slow getting out of a chair the first day, but by day 2 no issues.  Back in the classroom no problem 2 weeks after surgery.

8.  Frankly, I was surprised I made it to goal.  I was in such a dark place when I went into surgery, I was just hoping that I could lose enough to move around better.  Surprised just how much I was able to retrain myself and not feel like I was missing anything.  

9.  Yes, there are risks.  Weigh that against the risks of continued obesity and quality of life.  For me, it was a no brainer.  You have a complicated medical history so just be careful to ask a lot of questions.  Good luck.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 5/8/13 9:38 am
Topic: RE: carbs

I am a huge dairy eater also.  The reason carbs can be problematic is that too much at one sitting can flood the system with insuin, which in turn stores fats, triggers cravings and hunger.  I kept it under 30 grams for a meal and 15 for a snack with no issues.  It may not be that high of a threshold for you, but if the milk or cottage cheese is not triggering cravings or hunger then you should be fine.  Almond milk has only 35 calories and flax is at 25... maybe try those?

happyteacher
on 5/5/13 6:53 am
Topic: RE: Coffee ban

Uh, didn't start.  Still on my list though ;)  Waiting for it to be a little warmer in the morning... I crave hot coffee much less in that situation.  I am hoping that it will make it a little easier, or perhaps doing an excellent job of rationalizing why I have not started.  

happyteacher
on 5/5/13 6:50 am
Topic: RE: I could use some MPF friends. :)

Anyone here may add me.  I am idateacher2 over there.

happyteacher
on 5/4/13 11:49 am
Topic: RE: Starbucks

I make a version at home that uses flax milk, sugar free syrup, and a strong brew.  25 calories on that version.  I used to do the skinny caramel latte, and my home version is just as good.  (Although I will do a skinny latte now in maintenance every so often.)  

happyteacher
on 5/4/13 9:17 am
Topic: RE: Moving on, and moving forward

10 Things I appreciate about Alison:

1.  She is kind to me and others.

2.  She is level headed..

3.  She is and will continue to be my inspiration to exercise- it is because of her I did not make excuses to get moving, no matter how hard it was at first or with my occasional challenges.  

4.  She does not profess to be perfect and consequently demonstrates that the path is not a single direction, but a true journey.  

5.  She is tenacious.

6.  She flew to a foreign country for plastics and did not let anything stop her.  I will be replicating this journey once I can afford to, and she makes me feel like it is doable.

7.  She is just damn funny!

8.  She is forthright.

9.  She makes great suggestions.

10.  She makes Oh a better place!

Hang in there Alison.  I just wanted to share a moment just how much I appreciate you.  

happyteacher
on 5/3/13 12:59 pm
Topic: RE: My surgeon wants to use a 40 Bougie and I'm concerned.

I am up in the 40s and loosely sewn.  No problem making to goal or maintaining so far.  Some will post that people with this size sleeve can eat 16 ounces- a crock of crap.  You will be able to eat around any size sleeve you have.  I had no complications, no acid issues, excellent tolerance, no issues getting my fluids in, and now eat a small normal sized meal.  Typical "big" meal for me would be 4 ounces protein, very small salad, and a little cooked veggies.  Protein shake still works perfect as a meal when used, restriction is just fine unless I decide to eat a lot of carb... but those slide through smaller sleeves too.  I wouldn't change a thing.  

happyteacher
on 5/3/13 12:36 pm
Topic: RE: Help me please!!!

Are you hitting your protein goals and nutritional needs?  The one part of the early months for me that was critical was developing the retrained eating habits.  I was never perfect, but consistently very, very good.  Whatever you can eat now capacity wise it will be significantly more in just a few short months.  By then it will be critical that your eating habits are retrained, otherwise not only will you not lose, but you will be at high risk of gaining.  Here is a list of my favorite go to items:

Trader Joe chicken hot dogs (low calorie, high protein, and uncured)

Greek yogurt (make my own now since I was eating so much and saving a small fortune)

Fibergourment half calorie crackers (favorite is cinnamon)

Protein bars, protein shakes 

Lean meat (fish, chicken, rarely beef or pork)

Cottage cheese and fresh fruit

Soups

Tunafish

Fiber one cereal, almond milk or flax seed milk

veggies

I avoid white flour, processed food for the most part, fast food save a few items that are Ok calorie/protein wise

happyteacher
on 5/3/13 12:27 pm
Topic: RE: Just curious

I ate both during the weight loss phase.  Very, very infrequently mind you...   I am a teacher and pizza and fried chicken are very common staff provided lunch material.  I would be careful to stick to the calorie goal for the day as much as possible and overall I had no issue to goal.  But, neither of these foods are trigger foods for me.  Presurgery I rarely ate pizza- just not a fan.  Presurgery I also rarely ate fried chicken, as greasy food was never my downfall.  Now put a plate of sugary carbs or white processed flour and I am a goner.  

Stay away from it, make a plan to avoid it, but every so often it could happen.  The question really you should be asking yourself is if you feel that you have the skill set to deal with it.  To this day I cannot keep sugary foods in my house.  I am feeling that it is unlikely I will develop the skills I need to stay away from the temptation for any length of time, so the next best option is not to let it pass through the door and try like heck at work to stay out of it.  So far so good.  

happyteacher
on 5/3/13 8:38 am
Topic: RE: Constipated after increased protein and lowered carbs....HELP

You make a choice if you choose a low carb approach- deprive your system of fiber to get the carbs low thinking that it is the only way to lose weight (not true) or work fiber into your diet and still lose the weight.  It is a choice folks.  

happyteacher
on 5/3/13 8:02 am
Topic: RE: 10 days post opp..lesson learned!

Try the cream of chicken soup (high protein)- no sweet and it was terrific for this phase. 

happyteacher
on 5/3/13 7:18 am
Topic: RE: Plastic Surgery in Mexico???

I was following Acbrown's progress prior to her PS and after- even though I never met her I am pretty sure I will end up with Sauceda once I can figure out how to pay for it.  This sounds goofy, but it sounds like not only PS but a bit of an adventure :)  Short term though I have to figure out how to get my kids through college. 

happyteacher
on 5/3/13 7:15 am
Topic: RE: Coffee and Tea with NO SWEETNER

In a different thread sleevegirl went cold turkey.  I asked her how long it too****il she didn't want it anymore and was shocked to read 7 days.  I usually quit trying at day 2.  I am going to make a goal to go 7 days and then revaluate.  Starting tomorrow.  For now, I am off to enjoy my cup of java fully loaded with chemicals.  This is a habit I really do want to break. 

happyteacher
on 5/3/13 7:10 am

Ok, good to read that.  I have tried several times to go cold turkey, but cave within 2 days.  Next time I muster up the motivation, I will set the goal at 7 days and stick to it.  I think I will start tomorrow ;) 

happyteacher
on 5/3/13 7:05 am
Topic: RE: Diabetic, sleeved and trying to stay around 40 carbs daily?

I am very glad to read that you are careful to distinguish between want and need.  Never forget that for us carbs can truly trigger a nasty cycle.  Too many carbs at one sitting (for me more than 30 net carbs) and your system will flood with insulin, the insulin will store energy to fat and also trigger hunger and cravings.  Presurgery I would give in to the cravings, overeat the carbs, and trigger the cycle all over again.  Post surgery I have done it here and there and it takes a couple days to knock out the cravings.  Ugh.  

happyteacher
on 5/3/13 6:53 am
Topic: RE: 1 Month Post-OP Progress update #

1,  Just a gentle reminder that the power of weight loss is in the cumulative total, not a daily or weekly.  If you look at my ticker I was not posting huge numbers month after month, but I was consistently losing.  At the end of 3 months I was really feeling like the surgery wasn't doing much different then what I would do on a focused diet.  But the difference is that I would always break the diet... 6 months of 10-15 pounds each month really add up.  Don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking that if you don't lose 40 pounds every month that you have failed.  Your rate thus far is really very good- just keep at it.  

2.  I ranged 600-800 calories around the 2 month mark I think... but you can check my diary on MFP.  I think you may be a little higher than where I was at a month out... but it is getting fuzzy now.  The diary will show it- I had surgery done on 12/19/11.  

3.  I am a huge advocate of walking.  Daily walking.  Walking intentionally, and adding steps in whereever you can. For example, park at the back of the parking lot, take the flight of stairs instead of the elevator, take the long way to the bathroom at work, etc. Keep working your treadmill.  15 minutes is rough now, but you will be shocked at where you will be in 2 months if you keep at it. Yes to the weights- muscle built will burn more calories and help to fill the void that the lost fat leaves behind. Not a fix to the future loose skin, but it helps.  Just check with the doc to make sure you are cleared for it first.  As far as intensity- the increase cardio will help you burn more.  You should be sweating when you work out :)

happyteacher
on 5/2/13 10:17 am
Topic: RE: Diabetic, sleeved and trying to stay around 40 carbs daily?

I was diabetic and also tried to keep carbs under 40 for the first two months- and I had a lot of problems with low blood sugar.  It totally wasn't worth it, and completely unnecessary.  Once I added some carbs back in (100 net carbs a day or so, alternating between 15 and 30 at a meal) I felt a TON better.  My weight loss rate was just fine and I made it to goal no problem.  The terrible constipation also let up immediately.  I don't knock you for wanting to try the 40 carb thing, just saying that you can be successful and not go to that extreme.  

happyteacher
on 5/1/13 10:12 am
Topic: RE: McDonalds new Egg White McMuffin

Had it last week, but I am in maintenance.  It was fine for me overall and I would get it again.  Not something I would make a habit of, but in a pinch it works well.  Taste was typical of an egg mcmuffin, I think it was 250 calories or so with a decent amount of protein, some calcium, and iron.  

happyteacher
on 5/1/13 9:58 am
Topic: RE: 45f bougie size

I have a larger capacity and NO WAY in heck could I ever put down 18 ounces.  Typically a  "big" meal for me would be 4 ounces of steak, a very small salad, and a small serving of cooked veggies.    I also am a very highly skilled overeater- I could eat around a 32 sleeve just as easily as  one in the 40's.  The part of the above post about eating protein first, few bites of veggies- it applies   to a larger sleeve as well. 

happyteacher
on 5/1/13 9:54 am
Topic: RE: 45f bougie size

I am in the 40's, but don't remember anymore exactly what it was.  I had no difficulty at all making it to goal and maintenance thus far has been easy to.  I can eat more than a typical sleever, so it is important to continue to make good choices.  I am so grateful that I have this size.... I do not like eating like a toddler at work, and really appreciate being able to eat a small "normal" sized meal.  Time will tell if the larger sleeve will be an issue down the road, but I am so very happy with how it has worked out for me. Good luck!

happyteacher
on 5/1/13 9:47 am
Topic: RE: 1st post op appt....not so good!

So glad to read you are feeling better.  Sending good karma your way!

happyteacher
on 4/28/13 11:06 am

Didn't think it was possible to get used to coffee black when you are a die hard cream and sweetner person.  How long did it take you to get used to it?

happyteacher
on 4/28/13 10:58 am
Topic: RE: What is your bad habit(s) that you can't seem to kick *but keep trying to*??

Launching my second of three off to college in the fall.  The one that is left is by far the messiest though.  I won' miss the mess, but I do miss the kids!

happyteacher
on 4/28/13 10:56 am
Topic: RE: What is your bad habit(s) that you can't seem to kick *but keep trying to*??

Ugh, I totally do this too. I go in to my classroom nearly every weekend for at least 8 hours and graze nonstop.  The weird thing is the 8-10 hours I do at home on the weekend I don't graze as much.  Terrible habit. (Both the grazing and not taking a day off like ever  during the school year.)

Most Active