happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 12/21/18 7:24 pm
Topic: RE: Long-term Sleevers, do you calorie count?

I was meticulous tracking during the weight loss phase and for some time after reaching goal. Now, years out, I track when I start gaining a few pounds or have a spike in crap eating. Mostly I stick to what I ate in the weight loss phase, but still need to every so often weigh and measure otherwise my portion size creeps up.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 12/19/18 7:40 pm
Topic: RE: instant pot cook book recommendations

If you do Facebook there are a slew of groups that focus on Keto IP or low carb IP. If you happen to do Kindle Unlimited there are a giant number of IP cookbooks that are included on that so you could peruse and collect recipes of interest. Mostly I find I use recipes online. There are bloggers out there that will post them focused on different dietary needs. Here is an example of one. Have fun with your new toy! It is super well-suited for our eating- healthy food fast!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 12/19/18 7:35 pm
Topic: RE: Need a medical excuse! I have surgery scheduled soon! in the

Work cannot ask you what type of procedure per regulations. Just have it written up as a medical leave. When dealing with coworkers keep in mind they will see you lose weight- a lot of it. Overall not usually at a faster rate than someone who is simply dieting, but our cumulative totals really add up. You will need to be prepared for that and the constant inquiries about the weight loss, so as you consider what to say at work keep that in mind. Gallbladder surgery normally only is a 2 week recovery, which is about the same time. Problem is- later on if your gallbladder needs to be removed then what might you say then? (Mine did a few years after surgery.) Hernia repair also would be a 2 week recovery- and it is possible those come back so even if in a few years you do need a hernia repair it would not be an issue work wise.

Start thinking now about what you will say and come up with a canned response to those questions. Like Hala mentioned, it is not uncommon for a follow-up question, but by the third it is just getting rude. If I hit a third question I would simply make eye contact and tell them I don't want to talk about it (my medical situation). You could always soften it a bit by saying you are not comfortable discussing weight loss or other private medical matters publically. If they ask something different, respond with the exact same phrase. Keep repeating it as the answer and I guarantee that will work. For weight loss when asked what I did I would say diet, exercise and medical intervention or surgery with each of those having a different impact at different times depending on what I was going through/working on.

happyteacher
on 12/13/18 11:34 am
Topic: RE: Cottage Cheese

I turn it into (please pardon the family's name for it) White Trash Jello. That is the cottage cheese, sugar free jello, crushed pineapple, and cool whip concoction. I also love it with most any kind of berries. I have not tried just the sf jello and cottage cheese (omit the cool whip and pineapple) but wonder if that might be palatable?

happyteacher
on 12/13/18 11:30 am
Topic: RE: 3 year post VSG--struggling

Just throwing in something that may or may not be a strategy that might help you. I have had gastro issues off and on over the last 2 years that result in me having to go on a liquid diet for anywhere from 3-9 days for each bout. One thing that is painfully obvious from this is that once I am ready to reintroduce solid food the stomach restriction is kicking in full force. I notice a significant improvement after just 3 days- and insane amounts after a longer period. Calories are not particularly low during these, as I tend to average around 1200 calories (not looking to lose in other words). Protein is high since I revert back to protein shakes as well. I would imagine it would be harder to try and jumpstart cleaning the system out of all the glycogyn and such from carbs this way, but it is highly effective. Of course, it is a bit easier for me due to stomach pain reinforcing that I need to stick to it, hence not sure if it would be a strategy that might help you. Good luck in getting back on track!

happyteacher
on 12/8/18 5:34 pm
Topic: RE: VSG diabetes question.

Thread is getting a bit old, but just found this and thought I would post it. It is from https://asmbs.org/patients/surgery-for-diabetes In short, 80% remission for Rny, 60% for Vsg. Rny has an additional 15% who improve, but not enough to be considered in remission.

ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS

Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass is a surgery that alters the GI tract to cause food to bypass most of the stomach and the upper portion of the small intestine. The operation results in significant weight-loss and causes remission of T2DM in 80 percent of patients and improvement of the disease in an additional 15 percent of patients.

Improvement or remission of diabetes with gastric bypass occurs early after surgery and before there is significant weight-loss. The weight-loss independent mechanisms of diabetes improvement after gastric bypass are partially explained by changes in hormones produced by the gut after the surgery, and this is an active area of research in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery.

SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY

Sleeve Gastrectomy (Vertical gastrectomy) is an operation that removes a large portion of the stomach and, in doing so, causes weight-loss. The remaining stomach is narrow and provides a much smaller reservoir for food.

Sleeve gastrectomy also appears to have some weight-loss independent effects on glucose metabolism and also causes some changes in gut hormones that favor improvement in diabetes. Diabetes remission rates after sleeve gastrectomy are also very high (more than 60%) and, in some studies, similar to results seen after gastric bypass.

ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BAND

happyteacher
on 12/8/18 5:14 pm

Hi Grim,

I have not been on the boards nearly as much lately. Is your comment regarding VSG's being revised to Rny more frequently now anectdotal observation from the boards or support groups, or is this a ASMB type research-based finding? Please know that it is not my intent to sound snarky, quite the opposite. I just realized it is quite possible I am no longer up-to-date with Vsg outcomes and that there would certainly be more patients and resulting research now compared to when I had it done.

happyteacher
on 11/30/18 9:01 pm
Topic: RE: Can we talk pancreatitis?

I will bring that up- what I associate with acid reflux frequently is in conjunction with the stomach issues that go with no longer having a gallbladder. When I take the medication to deal with that, the acid reflux part also resolves. Hmmm.

happyteacher
on 11/30/18 8:44 pm

Thank you for your comment- I will look into the thistle and other items you mentioned. I don't tolerate tumeric supplements very well, but maybe the others could work. Didn't realize that lettuce could trigger so I will pay attention more to all foods and not just the fat-inducing ones.

happyteacher
on 11/15/18 6:20 pm

I will. I realllly wish I could remember what I ate before it. I naturally reverted to all liquids until the pain stopped and do that all the time. Kind of a generic intervention, but it always seems to help either give the system a break or maybe relax it or something. No idea really, I just know that it helps vs. trying to eat solids and that hurting like all heck.

happyteacher
on 11/15/18 6:18 pm

Didn't realize the liver throwing a hissy fit resulted in nausea, will have to pay closer attention to symptoms and triggers for sure. I was eating sugar and some simple carb, but dropped it this week after the appointment Monday. Strange how it hasn't bothered me to drop it- normally I have to ease into the reduction, but the idea of avoiding whatever the hell it was from either happening again to that extent or not making just general digestive issues worth is pretty motivating at the moment.

I did liquids only Monday afternoon through Wednesday night. Had a small portion of chili (turkey, beans) and woke up with a stomach ache this morning. Not the same kind, but my system is just not enjoying solid food at the moment.

happyteacher
on 11/14/18 5:47 pm

I do (did) drin****asionally- average about 2 drinks a month overall... but rarely more than half a hard cider or something at a sitting. Still eliminating it though to be on the safe side.

happyteacher
on 11/14/18 5:45 pm

Didn't realize a drug allergy could cause it- I have a slew of allergies. Hmmm. I wish I could remember what I ate that night and any medicine I may have taken now. I only know that whatever I ate was not anything that might get "stuck" like tough meat or something. (Had that happen a few times and ugh.)

happyteacher
on 11/14/18 5:42 pm

2 hours was just the insane part- whatever it was took days to resolve. I am loaded with food intolerances and severe allergic reactions to food and have experienced the cramping/projectile vomiting associated with it. That was not what was going on. I have only "dumped" a few times, and not in the more extreme form I see rny patients describe... but I also don't think it was that as well since I have a tad bit of experience with it. The belching and acid is relentless and unrelated to the episode described above and a daily occurrence.

I do wonder though if it might be a blocked duct or stone. Post gallbladder I have always had intermittent flare ups of pain similar to the attacks prior to removing the gallbladder. I am pretty sure that is one of the things he is scoping me for though, although I did not go into great detail of what he was looking for other than he mentioned inflammation and such.

I am a little reluctant to omit fat completely (or to the greatest extent I can) due to absorption issues of vitamins. Didn't think about fat helping to keep away bile stagnation and such.

I think I will just completely avoid alcohol since that is so easy and short-term drop fat down since I for sure feel better when doing it. Hopefully, I will have more answers after the test, and at the very least I will be better prepared for questions. Just wasn't expecting pancreatitis to get thrown out there as a possible contender. When I read up on it though, the symptoms were spot on with what I experienced.

happyteacher
on 11/14/18 5:33 pm

That can't be a coincidence I suspect- I have noticed more problems with some fats over others. Olive oil is my go-to (allergic to avocado). Higher fat dairy is an issue too for me.

happyteacher
on 11/13/18 6:27 pm

Not sure about the remission not being the quick hormonal change... I went into surgery diabetic and other than blood sugar going low in that first month, was no longer considered diabetic. I had not lost much weight to trigger that at the time. I was newly diagnosed diabetic prior to the surgery and not insulin dependent.

I wish I could remember the stats my doc shared with me back when he was pushing rny and I was wanting vsg. Since I was diabetic and had acid issues he was recommending rny due to it being more effective for diabetes... but I no longer remember how much more effective. Vsg still has a decent track record on that, but like Grim mentioned Rny beats Vsg and DS beats Rny.

happyteacher
on 11/13/18 6:11 pm

Has a pretty awful night maybe 6-8 weeks back where I had severe severe abdominal pain, throwing up, rapid heart rate, sweating... the worst of it was over in 2 hours, but did a liquid diet for a few days due to residual pain and trying to rest the digestive system. Flash forward to the dr. appointment that was scheduled as a result and one of the things that came up was pancreatitis. I was surprised, but did have my gallbladder out a while back and apparently there is a connection there. Anyway, waiting on getting an EGD done in December to try and see what is what, but until then was wondering what folks new here and any tips. We didn't go into much detail about since I have test results pending and the future Egd. So, some questions

• if I drop down to very low fat, would it help? I had steered clear of fat for quite a while post gallbladder removal, but over the summer up until now started putting it back in and using more of Questran to deal with the lack of digesting fat. Not sure if that is a coincidence, but for sure started having more digestive trouble. On a side note, I added fat in because some nutrients need fat to absorb.
  • I rarely drink alcohol, but is that a thing for pancreatitis? It wouldn't be a big deal at all to forgo the occasional half of hard cider or what have you, but not sure if it is even a thing?
  • Any tips on reducing issues?

I went in thinking the hiatel hernia is back (again) due to the big spike in acid and belching. He is checking on that as well, but some of the symptoms may overlap?

happyteacher
on 10/18/18 6:58 pm
Topic: RE: Hiatal hernia

Yep. Hernia number 1 repaired at vsg surgery. Few years after my gallbladder went out and I had hernia number 2 repaired while getting that out. In my case since it was a second repair and a most all of the stomach was up in my chest it was a riskier thing. Surgery went off without a hitch though. It would have been a rougher recovery due to the gallbladder being added on, but even with that it was Ok.

My surgeon warned I might need to have the pyloric valve removed to ease the pressure, but I really wanted to try and repair. Now it has been a few more years and I am pretty damn sure it has herniated again- symptomatic. There is no repair number 3. Going in to the GI guy here soon to get checked out.

happyteacher
on 10/18/18 6:53 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone Eating Shirataki Noodles?

Rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse some more. Pat dry. Follow Skinny girls Girlfredo recipe. Passable-

happyteacher
on 10/15/18 4:28 pm
Topic: RE: VSG and Diabetes - 5+ years out

Not with any regularity. What I do, however, is when I suspect I am going high or low with any type of frequency is track like a maniac for 2 weeks. I log every bite, carbs, protein, time I ate it, and test like crazy. I test when I first wake up, right before eating, after eating 15 min, 1 hr, 1.5 and 2 hour increments. I found that this identified the foods that were triggering issues. I have done this maybe 3 times since surgery to help adjust what I am eating. I have not done it recently because I know it is the sugar crap doing it ;)

happyteacher
on 10/15/18 4:24 pm
Topic: RE: Sous Vide Recipes?

Joule has a free app that I highly recommend. It does more than just control the Joule. You select a recipe, it asks a series of questions to help you determine the best time and temp to cook. It also walks you through the recipe step by step. I always go with what their recommended doneness is and everything turns out amazing.

happyteacher
on 10/9/18 2:21 pm
Topic: RE: VSG and Diabetes - 5+ years out

Officially diagnosed diabetic about a month before surgery, but for sure blood sugar issues were a thing long before that. Not insulin dependent. Total remission since surgery. My a1c dropped drastically right after surgery out of even the pre-diabetic category. Once I stopped exercising though, the a1c started to climb and I was nearing prediabetic territory. I am overdue to get checked, but suspect I have crept up a tad more since last checked. My goal weight was 195 (6'2'' female- normal bmi weight at the top of the normal range). I have yo-yo'd a bit since surgery with most of the time being between 185-190. I am currently sitting at 193, but working toward getting to 188 or lower. Gain is from sweets- my lifelong nemisis. Other than that I tend to still eat the way I did when I was in the weight loss phase.

happyteacher
on 10/8/18 4:42 pm
Topic: RE: What was your immediate recovery like?

I no longer go to the local group, but did for maybe 2 years or so. Nobody complained of that with any regularity- hiccups, runny nose yes. Not months of vomiting. Is this caused by a mishapen sleeve or pehaps too small?

happyteacher
on 10/1/18 4:27 pm
Topic: RE: Lying about VSG - What surgery can I say I had? :D

Same experience. It was never the younger teachers who didn't respect boundaries, but the Boomers!

happyteacher
on 9/30/18 6:29 pm
Topic: RE: Lying about VSG - What surgery can I say I had? :D

I did not reveal the surgery, but not due to embarrassment. I have a serious workplace discrimination situation. If you choose to go this route, just be very prepared with what your response will be- people will ask relentlessly. I had a standard reply of something like "surgery, diet, exercise, and recovery from various surgeries with different factors contributing at different times". In my case though it was known that I was dealing with cancer throughout this period (especially a few months post op) so folks attributed loss to that as much as anything.

Most of us don't lose a tremendous amount in 2 months. Rather a good start and then steady loss. The difference is we mantain that cumulative loss of 10-15 pounds a months for 6 months or longer depending on needs. If you look at my signature, there really wasn't any period of dramatic unexplained loss that could not be accounted for by diligent dieting and exercise. But people gossip. If it is just embarrassment you may find that once you get going at it talking about it will be less daunting. I wouldn't lie though, just not reveal your medical status.

For the asshats that wouldn't back off I would be direct and tell them that I didn't want to discuss my medical situation with them.

Most Active