happyteacher’s Posts

happyteacher
on 8/21/12 4:04 pm
Topic: RE: Steroids and Weight Gain???
 I have had to use steroids related to the cancer treatment.  My appetite did increase and it was a little harder to keep the calories in check, but it was managable.  I also have asthma, but have not had to use steroids since surgery- pre op they never bothered be, but then again I was constantly eating back then so maybe it did and it just didn't register.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 8/21/12 11:47 am
Topic: RE: Relationship Discussion
 I would focus on redefining yourself more with them- have a lot of fun, be active, and just do the things that you were lacking before.  Overtime they will have trouble remembering the overweight you.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 8/21/12 10:31 am
Topic: RE: 6 Month Update! 20LB's UNDER GOAL ***PICS***
 Your wife is hot.  Just saying!  Beautiful children and a beautiful post- wish you all the best in the world man who rocketed to goal!

happyteacher
on 8/19/12 7:11 pm
Topic: RE: Ninja blender, juicing, shakes, and a learning curve
 Thanks for the post- I will give that a try with some spinach tomorrow- 

Used the right setting and it did a good job on the smoothie- no more large ice chunks.  :)  Not as velveety as the vitamix though...

happyteacher
on 8/19/12 7:04 pm
Topic: RE: Newbie...Who to listen to
 Block me. 

happyteacher
on 8/19/12 7:01 pm
Topic: RE: How did you decide between which procedures to have? Plus venting (Pretty Long)
 The reasons you cited were crticial to me.  I teach 9 year olds, and can't afford a dumping situation where I am running out and leaving them unattended.  My mom died from colon cancer and the idea of rerouting intenstines is terrifying to me- even though I totally understand that it has nothing to do with colon cancer.  Malabsorption for me is a problem as I am not pefect with supplements.  Less complications with the vsg.  Also the best chance of being relatively "normal"- being able to eat normal food just in smaller amounts.   We do not have a pouch, and thus much less of the stretchy part of the stomach.  We do not make the gherlin hormone (hunger hormone).  No stomach that cannot be scoped like in rny.  Quick recovery time.  Same weight loss as rny.

I was diabetic, and no longer am- but I do have some issues with hypoglycemia.  Nutrition wise I am a little low on iron, but I was before surgery too.  Surprisingly it did not help my high cholesterol, or at least not yet.  Blood pressure is down.  I exercise a ton now, and didn't at all before.  Self esteem and confidence is hugely improved and in general I just feel fantastic.  I have lost 125 pounds in 8 months with 6 pounds until goal.  26 of those were pre op. 

happyteacher
on 8/19/12 6:51 pm
Topic: RE: Happy birthday to me! New tattoo w/PICS! Give me your opinions please.
 Wow, looks painful!  Very artistic!  Hopefully your tatto person doesn't have a sense of humor and instead put Japenese characters that say something different... like sillly American who paid me too much!  I jest... it really does look awesome!!  Just jealous- never had the guts to get one!

happyteacher
on 8/19/12 3:33 pm
Topic: RE: Pre-Op Guilt
 Yes, sort of.  

I was so far gone by the time I decided to get surgery though that the desperation of a last attempt superceded the guilt for getting myself in that situation in the first place.  A 100 pounds is a lot- the surgery will help you get it all off and keep it off.  Don't beat yourself up.  If you were diabetic you wouldn't feel guilty for taking insulin would you?  Obesity is a disease and deserves aggressive treatment.

happyteacher
on 8/19/12 7:19 am
Topic: RE: Newbie/ Need Advice from you if you already had surgery
  Before the surgery was completed did you start eating like you had the surgery before it was done to get yourself use to the amount of food you can eat?  
Yes, I worked hard at the pre op phase.  It took me months, because I was that bad.  Month one goal- stop gaining.  Month 2 goal- tried out the liquid diet and iniated exercise (short periods of walking).  Month 3- true pre op diet, more exercise, and by then had made nice progress on cleaning up eating habits, but not perfect.  Post surgery would have been terrible if i didn't work on it pre op.

What types of food do you eat now that you have had the surgery, and where do you buy your food? - like what is day like fore you as far as eating?

I am 8 months out.  I buy normal food, mostly from the perimeter of the grocery store aisles.  Fresh veggies, fruit, dairy, meat.  No more refined sugar or white flour.  I also buy protein shakes and bars from Sams.  Finally, I buy protein products and Torani syrups from Netrition.com.  Typical day: greek yogurt parfait, eggs and bacon, tuna on spinach leaves, mango, chicken, protein shake(s).  

Would you say your appetite after the surgery is the same, more or less, as far as craving to eat?

There is a difference between real hunger and "head" hunger.  Head hunger will not go away, you have to deal with that.  Real hunger was non-existent at first, but starting creeping back in slowly by 6 weeks.  At 8 months hunger is typical for what it was like pre op and before I was obese.

Did you find any pain or discomfort after a month or say after the surgery. 

I went back to work exaxtly 14 days after surgery.  I noticied that when I was in the computer lab with students and having to bend down to help with keyboard issues that I was sore.  That was pretty much my only issue, so I stayed out of the lab for another 2 weeks.  By 1 month not sore at all, but a slight fatigue still.  Super manageable. 

How much do you exercise now after the surgery?

6 days a week, minimum 30 minutes per day.  Typically though, 1-1.5 hours a day.  The hardest part is just starting.  Once I get going it is no problem to hit the higher numbers.  Exercise has been critical for me, and I am stronger and much more able to move around.

How do you see the weight coming off so far is what you expected ?

Yes and no.  First, I was is such a dark place I assumed that I would never make it to goal.  Pre op I was praying that I could take a 100 pounds off, and thought that would be unlikely.  So, no it was not what I expected- it was better.  My goal is a normal bmi and I am 6 pounds away- for sure I will make it there.   At about 3 months I remember feeling like it was silly to have the surgery  because my rate of loss was similar to what I could do without surgery.  Except that the sleeve doesn't quit like I always did.  It is about the cumulative total- that is what is so powerful.

Do see any mental/emotional changes in yourself after surgery negative or positive?

All incredibly positive.  I had all kinds of embarrassment because of the weight.  I won a national award in teaching and have to give presentations at the local, regional, state, and national level.  It was killing me because I could only think about how incredibly huge I must look to the audience.  Those types of feelings are completly gone now- I look like a normal 43 year old mom now!  I am super tall and could not shop in the tall departments because they only go up to size 20 at best- now my clothes fit soooo much better!  It is like a huge emotional weight has been lifted.  The only negative is that eating around my colleagues was bothering me.  I did not reveal the surgery, and 1 teacher in particular was hounding me and fixated on what I was eating.  My stomach has matured and I am at normal small portion size now, so that is not too much of an issue any longer.

My family has not been very supportive, everyone is negative and they do not want me to get the surgery, i know that there is a chance you can die with weight loss surgery, however i could die if I say overweight so what is the difference is my point with my family, they say i need to do it the natural way.

I probably would advise you to get it done, but tell them after you are through it.  Except obviously your immediate family.  If they keep it up, the risk of death is the same as having your gall bladder out.  Overall the surgery is very safe, while being morbidly obese is not.  Dr. Oz said on a show that our mortalityt rate for a person in their 50s is the same as a person who has a solid cancer tumor- you would operate on the cancer, without question.  (Trust me on this, I have been there.)  Try to identify why they are negative- is it just that they are scared of it?  Take them to a weight loss seminar to better inform them.  

Family wise is there any advice you can give me ?

You have to make this decision for you, not your family.!

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 4:36 pm
Topic: RE: Newbie with questions
On August 18, 2012 at 7:32 AM Pacific Time, Cinderella50 wrote:
 Thanks Happyteacher, I am a teacher too! 
I am on a two week liquid only pre-op diet. I am already using mfp and i do walk everyday monitoring my steps which have increased in the past two weeks, but not back up to my average last year. but working on that. i will figure out how to friend you on mfp. thanks for the info and a peek at your diary. talk soon
 I teach elementary and average about 7500 steps on a typical day.  Only 5000 or less on an in service day.  Another lady uses a pedometer regularly and she comes up with the same averages- that surprised me :)

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 4:31 pm
Topic: RE: DRAINS?
On August 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM Pacific Time, Cinderella50 wrote:
 I''ve read a few things on here I wasn't't told about, one being drains. What's that all about? Someone said it hurts when removed. How long do you have it and WHY do I need it?
 This totally depends on the surgeon.  My guy doesn't use them, so I didn't have to go through that.  

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 4:11 pm
Topic: RE: Trader Joe's haul!!!
Couple of my favorites you may want to check out...

baked tofu teriyaki flavor
uncured chicken hot dogs
soyaki sauce

Brain drain at the moment, there is a longer list.  Having a senior moment 30 years early :)

I will have to look for the skewers- sound fantastic and great numbers on them!   

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 4:08 pm
Topic: RE: I did it..
 Congrats!  Walk off those gas pains... they will be much better by day 3 or so.  You will feel like a new person in 2 weeks.  You are at the hardest part recovery wise, so be kind to yourself and your sleeve!  Try different temperatures of fluids...

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 4:05 pm
Topic: RE: Calories? Amount progression????
 I don't fall into the keep it under 600-800 group until maintenence.

Newly sleeved, first few weeks maybe 400 or so.  Kept carbls under 40
Hit 600-800 by two months, stopped keeping carbs under 40 about that time- hypoglycemic.  Weight loss rate was not affected.

Maybe 3ish months out I went up to 800-1000 calories.  Carbs were dealth with as 3 meals under 30 carbs each meal, 3 snacks under 15 carbs each.  This keeps the insulin from going bezerk, storing fat, and creating cravings.

Don't remember exactly when i ramped up to 1000-1200, but I think it was around 5-6 months.  Same target for carbs.  

I am now finishing my 8th month and can feel my body asking to go up another click.  This time, I am going to keep going at the current level though as I still have 6 pounds or so untill goal.

With those calories comes regular exercise- 6 days a week, minimum 30 minutes per day.  Almost always though the exercise lands between 1-1.5 hours a day.  I go over that more then I go under it.  

Carbs come from nutritionally smart choices- fruit, veggies, a small amount of grain.  No refined sugar, white flour stuff, etc.  No junk food.  Now when i say "no junkfood" I am not perfect- but consistently very good about it. 

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 3:54 pm
 I think it is safer to say that you will not feel hunger at first.  You will still deal with head hunger right out of the gate.  At 8 months, my hunger has returned to what would have been typical pre op and before I was obese. 

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 3:48 pm
Topic: RE: People gain weight back more easily with VSG
 So she had regain after her RNY, but said you gain after VSG.  I think that is called "projecting".

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 9:22 am
Topic: RE: Shut up unless you know what you are talking about!
 Lol, maybe popcorn shouldn't be in your example.  That is a slider and you can eat just as much just as fast compared to preop.  (Don't try this newly sleeved folks!)

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 6:42 am
Topic: RE: Protein Drinks
 Many use premier protein ready to drink (rtd) from sams or costco.  160 cals, 30 grams protein, 2 carbs= one of the best nutrtiion profiles out there.  They have whey isolate as the protein and loaded with vitamins too.  I also used HMR 70 at first- very good, but very pricey.  Also used Isopure Plus a lot at first, pricey but thinner then the shakes and a life saver post op. 

At the moment I am using Muscletech from sams- great price, but no vitamins in it so not recommended by my NUTS.  Higher cals then premier too.

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 6:11 am
 Here are some favorite substitutions of mine.

Protein cake (like chocolate cake)- recipes on eggface

cheesecake- 4 ounces greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon sugar free cheesecake instant pudding, 1 tsp sugar free torani syrup of choice.  Mix and done!  

Protein cookies and chips.  Kays Naturals makes both of these that has 120 cals and 12 grams of protein per serving.  I stick to a general rule of 1 gram of protein per 10 cals and that always gets me to target.  

Shiritake Tofu noodles- for that occaisonal gotta have pasta craving.  Look for Hungry Girls Girlfredo recipe and know you will not be able to eat most of it :) 

I don't do rice by the way- too hard on the sugar levels and not enough nutrition.  Maybe a tablespoons once in a blue moon at best.

hamburgers- veggie burgers by morningstar (found at sams or costco)

cabot reduced fat cheeses, light string cheese

walden farms dressings- no joke, zero calories for bleu cheese, thousand island, etc.

spinach for salad greens, helps with the low iron issues

unsweetened plain almond milk- only 35 cals in a cup and used to mix shakes with

soy nutlettes for cereal or used like granola on yogurt- super high protein per serving, but you will need to wait at least 6 weeks post op to eat it

Favorite website to get all this:  netrition.com  They have flat rate shipping of $4.95.  Last shipment was well over 20 pounds so a great deal, and carefully packed.  

happyteacher
on 8/18/12 6:01 am
On August 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM Pacific Time, Cinderella50 wrote:
 40 grams of carbs per day AFTER the sleeve? What about on the pre-open liquid diet. I was told only to watch the carbs in the protein shakes but not a daily max.
 40 grams of carbs is followed by many on the site, but it is certainly not universal.  Discuss this with your nutritionist/bariatric team.  At 8 months out I am at about a 100 or so net carbs a day, but know that was much lower newly sleeved.  For the first 2 months I tried to keep it under 40, but issues with hypoglycemia made it unsafe.  The protein is critcal so it will be important that you do not take in most calorie from carbs... eat your protein first!!  I should also point out I eat more calories per day than typical around here and balance that with more exercise (nothing crazy) than typical for most folks.  Here is what I suggest beginning pre op:

-start weighing and tracking all food, many of us use myfitnesspal.com.  You can friend me over there and view my food diary if desired... I am idateacher2.  It will show you the progression of calories, protein, and carbs starting from a few days before surgery to present.

-gather protein shake samples.  Tastes change after surgery.  You want to make sure you have stuff on hand, but not so much you end up wasting a ton of money if you don't like it anymore.  

-stock your house with other grocery items.  High protein cream of chicken soup, high protein hot chocolate, and Isopoure Plus were my go to items those first few weeks.  I also recommend sugar free Torani syrups and Fage or Chobani plain fat free yogurt- use the syrup in the yogurt for flavor and sweetness.

-monitor carbs beginning now.  The carbs can cause a vicious cycle- too many and your insuline spikes, insulin causes the cals to be stored to fat, causes cravings for more carbs, and the cycle repeats.  I avoid this by 3 meals at 30 carbs or so a day and 3 snacks at 15 or so carbs a day- rough targets, but it keeps the cravings away.  Carbs come almost exclusively from "good" carbs- fruit, veggies,  a tiny bit of whole grains.  No refined flours or sugars.

- go through the material given to you from your docs frontwards and backwards and really get to know the plan they have you on.  Do not feel pressured by folks on this site to not follow your plan.  If it works for you keep doing it, if it doesn't then be honest with youreself and  time to adjust.   Pretty simple. 

-start exercising now.  You do not have to be a triathelete.  Just make yourself move!  My goal is 6 days a week, at least 30 minutes a day.  I found once I start it is very easy to keep going and average 1-1.5 hours a day.  In the very beginning though, walking 20 minutes was what I started with and I ramped up consistently.   It sucks at first, but you will feel better from it and it will become a positive habit.  Try to go with stuff you enjoy and do it with a friend if you can.

happyteacher
on 8/17/12 7:51 pm
Topic: RE: bougie size?
 I am in the 40's and loosly sewn.  Working great for me :)

happyteacher
on 8/17/12 7:16 pm
Topic: RE: RE: carbs...are you "normal" I say yes...and NO! I'll explain......
 Ahh.... finally a post about carbs that I can agree with.  Like my mountain climbing friend, I also usually go around a 100 net carbs a day, with the carbs coming from "good" carbs... not that I am perfect about that though.  I do not count myself in the "low carb" group- on this board at least since I have no desire to keep my carbs under 40.  bur I also agree with Jimbo that I would be a lower carb person in the general population.  And also like my mountain climbing friend my NUT and bariatric team want the higher protein with those carbs, and support the 1000-1200 cal range I am currently at.  (For newbies, this is not where I started out at.)  Yes I am active, yes I am tall, no I am not a competitive athlete.  But I can say that I agree completely with Jimbo here on this.  If keeping carbs under 40 is what you need, then follow that path.  If it is a little higher and supported by your team an working, then follow that path.  Sometimes I feel like there are so many posts screaming that if you don't keep it under 40 you will fail that I think it is important that readers out there know that there indeed can be succss with a higher carb/cal path.

-if it is working the stick with it
-it if is not working, time to get real and make the necessary adjustments
-don't skip the exercies :)
-get your protein and fluids in
-take your vitamins and supplements

I think that is also pretty agreeable to most folks here. 

happyteacher
on 8/17/12 6:54 pm
Topic: RE: Well that's that, I'm disqualified
 In my humble opinion a nutritionist has no business making a medical decision like that.  See your doctor.

happyteacher
on 8/17/12 3:50 pm
Topic: RE: Veggies before and after VSG
 With the Ninja, the whole veggie goes in and you use the fiber.  My juicer, on the other hand, separates that out.  This is why I picked up the Ninja....

happyteacher
on 8/17/12 3:42 pm
Topic: RE: When did you start eating veggies again?
 Allowed to at 6 weeks and eating salad by 2 months.  I did avoid seeds for a while longer though.  My sleeve is made of iron though and tolerates everything beautifully.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 47 views