LABS after one year---huh?

curiousasacat
on 8/22/09 8:43 am - WA
They are all thumbs up! Except for one thing --- they didn't mention anything about it...  Platelets are a little low 126 .... Normal range is 150 to 400....  I've been reading up about how to increase platelets....   beets? spinach?  oh help!  I am not in the mood for that stuff -- hardly ever-- and it's not even a protein goodie... (not in the mood --- reminds me of what Chef Dave said in Bellevue OH event, must have rubbed off on me!) Other than that... I'm all smiles that I'm on top of my vitamins!    Tips on the platelets, anyone?  Kelly

vitalady
on 8/22/09 10:20 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
PLATELETs (sorry) are not nutritional. Got any spots on your skin? teeny ones? I ask because I have low platelets, since I was about 30. The actual disease is called ITP. Mine look like paprika sprinkled on the insides of arms. Might be outsides, but like I can tell parpika from freckles?

CELLS can sometimes be fixed, along with iron, ferritin, B12, folate...... they all fit together. Platelets are a whole nother animal.

where was vit D?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

curiousasacat
on 8/22/09 5:24 pm - WA
vit D is now at 36   last may was 30-- it had dropped from 35 last Jan... so I'm improving on the Vit D

I'll list it all:
Ferritin: up to 73 from 50 last jan
renal & liver functions -- normal with total protein at 7.4
calcium is normal at 10.0
D25-OH at 36
PTH decreased from 154 (high) to a normal 61
Vit A is normal at 72
Vit K is normall at 174
Vit B12 is high at 1124 (just said to keep taking the 500 mcg of B12--no changes)
B1 is normal at 111

I'll just check with my PCP when I do my follow up with her in Sept or Oct. on the platelets --- yes I do see "red pin *****s" mostly on my arms--but with the tan I've had this summer, I can't really see them unless under a microscope LOL  Thanks for responding Michelle   Kelly
vitalady
on 8/23/09 7:53 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
D, still not so good. PTH will also continue you down, even you just swap 'em. D = 61, PTH = 35. Or so. Prefer them to be like D = 90, PTH =20, so tell me what you're doing for your D.

The longer we remain under therapeutic range, the longer unseen damage is being done. You saw that attractive dent/scar on my left arm? I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Don't ask for it. And just think, my D, Calc and PTH have been FABULOUS for more than 5 yrs--but the damage was done before and can't be undone

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

curiousasacat
on 8/23/09 8:02 am - WA

Ok, looking at the numbers for Vit D

MultiVitamins  --- 400 IU X2   that's 800 IU
Choc. chewies -- 6 chewies/day  ---125 IU X6  is 750 IU   so that's an altogether of  1550 IU

Hope that helps?

Kelly

vitalady
on 8/23/09 8:20 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
2000 iu is being suggested for children these days. our proximal RNY's start on 25,000 IU of D to reach the higher levels where the benefits kick in. That would be about a level of 70 on your D 25 hydroxy.

Levels below that are not considered "deficient", but on the other hand, nothing good is happening, either. So, as you read daily articles on vit D (and I seriously mean daily since mid-2007), you don't get any of those benefits until your level is pushing 100.

Being at the bottom of the range (which comes up a bit every year) only means you are not charted as "rickets", not that your bones/teeth/joints/heart are protected. See?

Choc chewies--these are not Viactiv, right?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

curiousasacat
on 8/23/09 9:53 am - WA
the bariatric advantage calcium citrate chew bites.... with Vitamin D3 ....  what's Viactiv?
vitalady
on 8/24/09 3:19 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
OK, the BA chewies are 250 calc citrate, so good.

Viactiv is NO. Carbonate. Cheap, tasty, useless. Unless your goal is to build kidney stones, of course. They're very good for that. Just not for bones.

The D in the BA is good, right, but not nearly enough.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

jcheryld
on 8/23/09 7:44 am

Is this common post-op? My 6 month labs showed low platelets too, first time ever. Doc wasn't worried about it though since it was just barely out of range.

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

curiousasacat
on 8/23/09 7:54 am - WA
I have no idea.... my platelets were on the low range around the 250's but  never seen it that low before as of 2 weeks ago --- 126!.... hmmm. Anyone else have that problem?  Kelly
Most Active