Recent Posts

melody S.
on 12/15/14 5:52 am - Morgantown, WV
Topic: Anyone here?

Hello! I'm in Morgantown, and a patient of Dr. Akkary. I'm hoping to have surgery in February. I actually started the process three years ago, but due to lack of transportation (Dr. Akkary's clinic was then located in Preston Co, at Preston Memorial Hospital), I didn't get to have the surgery. I did a year-long supervised weight loss with my PCP, but when I went back to see Dr. Akkary at his new clinic in Morgantown, I was told my weight loss had expired. So I had to start again. I have my final evaluation (pulmonary) at the beginning of January, and my final weigh in the middle of next month. I quite like the idea of surgery in February. It feels like a Valentine's gift of love to myself.

Is there anyone here attending Dr. Akkary's support group meetings? I live in Cheat Lake, and would love to have a ride there and back.

There are seven days in a week and "some day" is not one of them.

MrsDean10
on 7/21/14 5:19 am
Topic: Medicaid

Who do I contact with Medicaid about seeing if im approved for surgery?

SarahSmiles123
on 4/10/14 1:53 pm - Philippi, WV
Topic: RE: Anyone have to deal with stupid PEIA?

I am also wondering about the one year waiting period.  I will be starting a new job in August and would love to have it while I am off work.  Otherwise I don't know when I'll be able to have it.  Is there a way to get it approved faster?  I have diabetes, hypertension, and sleep apnea.  Thanks

skinnygirl1978
on 3/30/14 2:52 am
Topic: RE: Torn, Depressed and plain Pissed

Like Brenda, I am sorry I am just now seeing this post. I haven't been online for quite some time.  I hope this issue has resolved for you and you have been able to have surgery.  It is so frustrating to have weight loss surgery because insurances see things differently-- because this surgery is "elective", they hold up so many obstacles for patients to get approved that they hope you get discouraged and decide not to have it.  Medicare made a decision back in the early 2000's (I think around 2003 or 2004) that anyone with Medicare who wants weight loss surgery MUST have it done at a facility that is certified as a Center of Excellence, which means their program does great work and has great outcomes.  If you type in Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, it should give you a link to who all is certified in your area.  Again, I hope you have gotten to go ahead and have the procedure, but if not, don't give up.  Where there is a will, there is a way.

rxtech932002
on 9/20/13 1:26 pm - Dunbar, WV
VSG on 02/26/14
Topic: RE: Hello West Virginia is there anybody out there?

CAMC is a center of bariactric excellence too. I decided against Dr. Nease while he is a good doc. Huntington is an hr away from me here in Charleston and with my cardiac history I didnt want to chance it if something did go wrong some strange cardiac dr taking care of me. Camc is also where i had my open heart surgery and my heart caths done so they have record of my cardiac history and all  my cardiologist would have to do i go across the river. Which is alot easier than an hr away. Which surgery are you having?

rxtech932002
on 9/20/13 1:21 pm - Dunbar, WV
VSG on 02/26/14

Im in process of having my surgery done at CAMC Weight Loss Center. Ive had several friends of mine that have it done there as well and they are great folks. I was in process last yr but due to my job loss at CAMC due to my heart condition i had to start all over under my spouses insurance which is Anthem BC/BS but through UFCW local 400 which is through the union at kroger. I am a canidate. I had my 3 month appointment yesterday and i was originally was going for the gastric bypass, but even though my cardiologist recommended lap band. Dr Shin who is my surgeon and i discussed and Im going with the gastric sleeve due to my medication requirements like heart meds and seizure meds. im diabetic as well and on insulin. My 6th month visit will be in Jan so im hoping for surgery sometime in jan or feb 2014

brenda_m
on 9/9/13 10:45 am - Renick, WV

Just checking in with you to see if you had your surgery yet? How ya doing?

brenda_m
on 9/9/13 10:37 am - Renick, WV

I had my last visit with my PCP this morning. 6 months of diet and exercise done and being submitted to my surgeon. I went to see him a few weeks ago and he scheduled me for surgery. He was very happy with my progress and decided to schedule me without approval. So he must feel pretty confident about me being approved. Ive had people on here tell me there is no pre-approval for medicare as far as the 6 month diet and exercise but I believe here in WV there is. Im scheduled for the 21st of Oct. I really dont think I will have any problems getting approved. Im down 73 lbs since the 1st week in April. Dr. Nease wanted me to get my BMI down between 55-60. I started at 70. Im currently at 59. So by the time surgery comes around, Im hoping to be even lower.

Barbara1978
on 9/9/13 8:40 am

Im on disability medicaid  and going to be medicare before 2 long. They approved you for WLS with medicare?  thank you

Member Services
on 8/19/13 6:36 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Do you know.......

Do you know......our founder, Eric Klein, created ObesityHelp back in 1998 and we've been the source of information, support and education for bariatrics since that time.

Do you know.....that ObesityHelp organized and hosted the first ever National Conference for pre-ops, post-ops, and individuals considering weight loss surgery?

Please join us as we celebrate our history with the OH community of 65 events in 26 states since 2004, and our 2013 Event on October 4-5, 2013 in Anaheim, California!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
WLS in WV?
rakat · 0 replies · 1998 views
Wv coventry care requirments
Sunfish6406 · 0 replies · 4703 views
Coventry Cares WV Medicaid
AKD40 · 9 replies · 6306 views
Bcbs highmark of wv?
conandjaysmom · 0 replies · 5632 views