How do I respond to nosy strangers?

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/06 11:17 pm - PA
My daughter, who we adopted at birth, is three years old and her physical characteristics are remarkably different than ours (her father and me.) She is tall and blonde with blue eyes and we are both short with dark hair and eyes. I'm hispanic. What should I say to people that ask where she got "that blonde hair" from? It will be no secret to our daughter - who still doesn't fully understand - that we were blessed with her through adoption (and I really mean BLESSED, she is the love of my life!), I don't want her to feel like something is wrong with her everytime people ask this question. I don't feel it is necessary to point out to strangers that she is not our biological child. Anyone who matters already knows. I'm afraid that as she gets older, she will feel like a freak if this continues. It happens every single day, waiters, cashiers at the grocery store, etc. I'm so frustrated I could scream.
~Becky~
on 2/23/06 1:22 pm - Little Rock Area, AR
"Where did she get all that blond hair from?" God! "She doesn't look like you at all?" Really? You don't think so? It seems like I get these all the time. Our daughter is biracial. We don't look much alike. But, I just take each comment as it comes. Some days I feel like explaining and other days I don't. But I do know what you mean about feeling BLESSED to have your children in your life!! It is so awesome to be a mama. Blessings~
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/06 10:29 pm - PA
My husband thinks I am overthinking things. I'm just worried about how it will affect her. I have a co-worker with grown children. His wife told me that she used to tell people, "Shhh!!! Please don't say anything. My husband may not be the father, but he doesn't know that. I was a little wild then." She said that usually made their jaws drop and shut them up. By the way, I looked at your profile and your family is GORGEOUS!!!! Makes me want another one. My daughter actually asked for a baby for her birthday. Considering thats only a couple of weeks away, I don't think its gonna happen. Being a mama is the greatest thing in the world.
~Becky~
on 2/23/06 11:27 pm - Little Rock Area, AR
My dh said to say the same thing. He said say something like "Yeah, my husband and I, we are still trying to work things out!" Thanks for your sweets words about my family. I think they are beautiful too. That's one of my favorite parts about adoption. I can BRAG about them because they are not of my genes!! I am adopted too and my parents got comments too. We just talked about them as a family from the VERY beginning. We were always open about everything and so it never felt funny. I actually felt it was more like a gift...to be adopted. It was kind of a celebrity thing to me. My parents did a good job that way, I hope I can too! Blessings~ Becky
Dana H.
on 3/23/06 10:52 pm - Eau Claire, WI
Kathy, I was adopted at birth, and my adoptive parents look nothing like me. They are all strong norweigian stock. Tall, thin, blond. I am tall, heavy & red-haired. The way our family dealt with nosey strangers was to either blame my red hair on my aunt's hubby (that gave them more to think about) or they'd say I was hand picked & a blessing to the family. All that matters is that you had the heart to do something as wonderful as take her into your life. Besdes, they are strangers, who cares what they think. Dana
whatadish
on 4/12/06 10:00 am - Southwest, FL
I adopted my son at 3 days old 19 years ago. When people posed that question to me I just told them that he was God's handiwork. Some people would prod and want more but I usually told them that his beginnings were his story to tell when he was old enough to tell it. We always told him the truth. He began to ask questions when he was about 3 years old. They were always asked of me not my husband and for some reason they were always asked while we were driving in the car! I would just answer his questions honestly but without adding anything extra. It would happen about once a month until he was around 10. At that time he just didn't seem to want to know anything else. Now that he is near 21 I will give him everything he needs to know if he chooses to know it. Wishing you all the best with your precious child, Laurie
Most Active