Found my Brother

Jennifer Nice
on 3/21/06 3:45 pm - Pueblo, CO
So I was looking through the message boards and I found this one. I just had to tell my story since it is a good one. My mother had a baby boy when she was 17 years old. My grandparents made her give him up for adoption. I tried to find him a few years back and had no luck. Last summer his wife emailed my mothers classmates which comes to our email. I was stunned. Of course we were totally happy to see that he finally found us. Its strange how being raised in different families for 31 years still doesnt take away that geniology. We have become close as if we would have been raised together. Its funny the emotional rollercoaster that finding a loved one can do to a person. Because I tell you when we first met I was soo happy, that same week I was so jelious of him. Because he has the perfect body and I thought the perfect everything at the time. I was going through som jeliousy also that my mom would only talk about him. Then I got really angry because I thought he was jus annoying. I went through a stage where I felt ripped off that we didnt get to grow together. Now I am just so happy to have a brother and one that is proud of me no matter how fat I am. I have a surgery date for April 28th and my brother and his wife are so so so happy for me. They cant wait for me to start my new life. Jennifer P.S. I am proud of my older brother also
Ruth A.
on 3/31/06 5:58 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Hi Jennifer Congratuations on becoming a sister! This is such an encouraging story. I have an adopted daughter, after fostering her for 17 months from birth. She is now 5 years old. She has 2 brothers who we could not adopt (due to other circustances), so she knows she has 2 brothers out there. She talks about them and we talk about how when she is older, if she wants to, trying to find them. You hear so many stories of reunions going wrong, that it is good to hear your story - the good and bad bits. It must have been a bit of a roller coaster ride emotionally. I'm not sure how I'll handle it if and when Millie decides to find her birth family. I hope I'll be OK and supportive. I'm waiting for my WLS on 31st May, a month behind you. I hope yours goes well. It's the start of a new life for both of us. I think the journey you've already been on (reuniting with your brother) and the mix of emotions it brought serves as a reminder to us. Our weight loss journey will be a mixture of emotions - good and bad, but the end result will be worth it!!! Let me know how you get on. I'd love to share this journey with you. Ruth
Jennifer Nice
on 4/1/06 5:02 am - Pueblo, CO
My surgery date got moved up to April 14th. That is pretty exciting. I only have 13 more days to go until I start the weight loss journey. The only advice I give you as the adoptive mom, is when and if Millie decided to find her birth family. If her blood mother wants to meet you, do it. No matter how you may feel about the blood mother do it. My mom has been wanting to meet Joe's adoptive mom and she wont have a thing to do with my mother. It is very stressfull on Joe and our mom. Jennifer
Ruth A.
on 4/1/06 4:51 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Thanks for the advice. I used to meet Millie's birth mom when I took her for visits and we got on O****il it was decided Millie couldn't go back to them and we were going to adopt her. That made things awkward. But I will bear in mind what you have said and if she wants to meet will be gracious! Thanks again Ruth
Most Active