What a surprise!

Cheryl T.
on 4/1/04 2:07 am - Cabot`, AR
What a surprise to find an ASL message board! I've been an interpreter for many years and am nationally certified. I am also a CODA (Children of Deaf Adults) and (obviously) a WLS patient. What a cool little board! Cheryl
danabky
on 4/16/04 1:38 pm - NC
OMG a CODA I work for a CODA and I have been interpreting for 13 years. My ex husband is deaf but I learned it way before I met him. I am nationally certified too with a NAD 4. I was Deaf taught and thats the best way! I was very heavily involved with the Deaf culture in Austin, Texas where I learned. Most people think I am a CODA when they find out I am not deaf. *smile* We now have a Deaf nursing student and I mainly interpret for her at my college. We go on clinicals together and I got to interpret a LAP RNY!!! I also got to interpret a Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction. The COOLEST thing was when I got called out last month to the hospital. Imagine my shock and suprise when my client just had a gastric bypass surgery!! Ok.. I think I broke the Code of Ethics on that one!! I was THRILLED to talk to her about it! I now interpret for her at our support group meetings. I want to get RID certified but lack $$$ right now after paying for plastic surgery. Man this stuff is expensive!!!! We have to have State Licensure here too and these dues are killing me! I am starting to resent RID because they have a monopoly on it right now. Luckily I was grandfathered in and don't have to worry about it for a while. I am salaried at the local Tech College but I am ALWAYS on call here for the hospitals and mental hospital. I also do part time work at UK (University of Kentucky) and other community colleges. I am also trying to get all my CEU's in. Well it was cool meeting ya! Welcome to the board! Hugs, Dana
karaoke Nadine
on 8/13/04 6:11 pm - Wherever I Take My Shoes Off!, CA
Hey Dana...my maiden name is close to yours... it was Barra cool huh? Anyways I just discovered this board and am so glad to have people like you to look up to and ask questions. I am an educational interpreter and have only done it for a few years. I have no certifications but I believe I will have to be soon. Is that right? Well nice meeting you and hope to be able to ask you more questions. Nadine
jacqueq
on 8/3/04 11:03 pm - Monterey, CA
Greetings Ladies!! I am a retired Interpreter and have been signing for 31 years It is nice to see other interpreters here ! Jezz
karaoke Nadine
on 8/13/04 6:07 pm - Wherever I Take My Shoes Off!, CA
Hey Jacque...I am sort of near you... I live in Chino. I am a new interpreter and have no certification. I am an educational interpreter and have been doing it for a few years. My boys are hearing impaired and that is how I got involved. I didnt know til now that they had this board and now I have people to look up to and ask questions. Nice to meet you! Nadine
Lovely And A.
on 8/20/04 12:55 pm - Rochelle, IL
Hi, I'm an interpreter too at a university here in Illinois. Nice to meet everyone!
Deafwriter
on 10/4/04 10:30 am - Grand Rapids, MI
Cool! I'm a Culturally Deaf woman who is just now starting to look into bariatric surgery. I want it SO much! I use ASL exclusively and will be using an interpreter at my appointments. So glad to find this board.
karaoke Nadine
on 10/25/04 9:04 am - Wherever I Take My Shoes Off!, CA
Hey Michele... Nice to meet you. I have a question for you...As an educational interpreter I need a sign for "trick or treat" or is there one? I'd like to know before Halloween. Thanks! Nadine
Brandy K.
on 9/7/05 1:13 pm - Garland, TX
I was an MSS (morphemic sign system) interpreter in high school. It's obviously not the most popular sign language out there. I don't see an MSS board. Good to see other signers here though!
Most Active
Recent Topics
teaching myself
babygirlz22 · 5 replies · 716 views
Just Found You
Ravenwulf · 0 replies · 338 views
hellooo
shoutjoy · 0 replies · 336 views
Wanting to learn...
Prpl D. · 2 replies · 384 views